Go Bottom Go Bottom

Used 4200 or new 790 any advise is welcom

View my Photos
Kevin K
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-03          14397

I am waiting for one JD dealer to drop off a new 790 for a 5 hour demo. In the mean time I found a used 4200 (80 hrs) at a different JD dealer. Both are gear trans., MFWD, turf tires, dual SLV. The 4200 has mid pto, 790 will not. The price difference is $1500 cdn. My problem is the 4200 has the old front axel, and the dealer didn't know anything about the update. The 4200 dealer has about 20 4XXX series units on the lot, all new, not one with the modified steering cylinder. I drove the 4200 and the front tire tore up the turf in a slow turn, the 790 did not. Is it worth the hassel getting the used 4200 and trying to educate the dealer on the new axel update?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
SteveofNJ

2000-04-03          14417

For one thing, the 4200 is in fact a nicer unit, but the 790 apples vs apples is as nice minus the "toys". If I recall, the 790 is a slightly larger tire size, (I think, don't hold me to it),
27hp net for the 790
26.3 Gross hp on the 4200,

The only advantage to the 4200, other then it is a sleeker machine, (more of the euro look I think), is it is about 500lbs heavier.
Loader lift cap. is the same (750 vs 757lbs)
the big advantage is the 3point hitch lift cap. 790 is 815, and the 4200 is 1700 (both at 24" behind the hitch).

That's the facts, but the truth is I have a 790 and love it, and picked it over the 4200 anyway, couldn't beat the price for the quality and size machine. I'd vote for the 790, my tractor only tears turf if I ride on it with a full load in the bucket and the ground is moist.

Hope this all helps.

View my Photos
Kevin K

2000-04-04          14439

SteveofNJ, thanks for the note. You forgot to mention the live PTO on the 4200, which is the one feature that would possibley make me go for the 4200. Do you do any grass cutting or tilling with your 790? How do you like the 790 PTO setup. I plan on adding a loader next year, so any money I save this year will go to that. (possibly $1500 if I get the 790. I did talk to the service rep. at the 4200 dealer, who stated if I used the tractor and complained about the turf scuffing, JD would replace the axel. ....

View my Photos
SteveofNJ

2000-04-04          14458

Umm, the 790 is Live also. Two levers for operation, one for rear, one for mid, they can be run seperate or both. The specs are the same, right out of the book in front of me.

No, I haven't done grass yet, but will soon as it starts going again. I can only imagine grass cutting to be just as pleasant as all other tasks that I do with the 790.

Hmm, that is a tough one about the 4200 and the replacement deal you are offered. I guess I would have gone with the 4200 if the machine was in exceptional shape, but I would get the front end changed before taking delivery. Think about what you said, "If the turf gets scuffed" no if, it will and they know it! So why won't they change it before you get it? Just a thought......(would save you tranporting the machine back and forth to the dealer)

View my Photos
James Q. (Joe) Smith

2000-04-04          14467

As a owner of a 790, can't say enough good about the tractor. Would recommend the R4 tires. I have all three, R1 (Tractor), R3 (Turf), and the R4s. The R4s seem to be a good compromise between traction when using the box blade and mowing. They aren't as smooth riding as the turf's but beat changing back and forth. If mowing is the only thing you are planning, then go with the turf's. One item to consider, when buying tractor, you get a two year warranty with a new one. "Something you probably won't need with a 790"! Can't say any tractor makes mowing a pleasure, but I can mow in two hour what use to take six with my old rider. The 790 will handle a five or six foot finish mower with no problem. ....

View my Photos
Kevin K

2000-04-05          14483

Steveo, I ment that the 4200 pto set up is by wet disk clutch, not infulenced by the foot clutch. You push the lever and the pto is on, dont wory about the tractors motion, or the foot clutch, like on my fathers 3020 and 5020 or most hydrostatics. The 790 has a two-stage dry clutch, push it in half way the tractor motion stops, push it all the way and the PTO stops. My concern was the dry clutch setup on the 790. Any way I decided it was not a concern and put mony down on a 790. I will use the $1500 for the loader. The dealer said it would take three to eight weeks to get my 790, which ticked me off, but I have been waiting eight years for a compact, so what's a few weeks. Last week I sold my 8N which I used for pulling my 72" finishing mower. It will likely be about another four weeks before the grass starts to turn green here in the middle of Canada. To everyone using jPlan, thanks for all the excellent information, I will let you know when I get my 790. ....

View my Photos
SteveofNJ

2000-04-06          14511

Good Luck Kevin! After reading the recent posts on the front end problems with the 4000's, I seem to think that maybe the 790 is better anyway, it's an old proven design, vs the new designs of the 4000's.

This time of year you must expect to wait for just about anything machine in demand. I was lucky, my dealer had one on his lot, and I bought it just about a day or two after he took delivery.

Good luck.

View my Photos
Kevin K

2000-05-17          16350

I just picked up my new 790 on Saturday and I still have the same smile that I put on when I was at the dealer. It was cold, windy and snow flakes were falling, so I couldn't do any work with it, but still managed to put an hour on the meter. I spent more time with the tractor than my wife! I am very happy with my purchase.

View my Photos
SteveofNJ

2000-05-18          16377

Snow? How far north do you live anyway? LOL. It was warm in 70' in NJ yesterday.

The 790 still makes me smile and I have owned it for a little over 8 months. I have been putting it to some heavy duty work laterly. Lifting bolders, well over the limit of the bucket (don't tell JD though. This machine thinks it's a big boy. I put teeth on my bucket, and I am just please as punch with my digging performance now. I even started digging out a small pond.
I am waiting (and waiting and waiting) for my 60" finish mower to come, but the dealer hasn't delivered it yet.

Anyway, good luck, this is a great machine! I hope to put a posthole digger on it in the next three weeks, and then a backhoe next spring. Have fun, operate safely!

SteveofNJ ....

View my Photos
Halsey Green

2000-05-18          16380

Steve - how did you go about putting teeth on your bucket - I have been researching the subject and have found Carver Equipment will make you a new leading edge, and SSB Tractor has both weld and bolt on. but they are a little on the pricy side. Thanks ahead for any help you can give.

Halsey ....

View my Photos
delkiss

2000-05-18          16396

I just had a new 790 w/60" belly mower & loader delivered this morning. Used it to mow 5 acres. This is my first tractor . . couldn't be more pleased. I also have digging a shallow pond for runoff control in mind as a project. How necessary are teeth on the bucket if I only plan to take a couple of inches at a time. Page 24 of the loader manual has instructions for adding tines (teeth?) by drilling holes and buying the tines from the dealer. Apparently tines are held in place by 0.5 in bolts in the back and U-bolts in the front of the bucket. Is this an OK way to go? Thanks, Dale. ....

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2000-05-18          16401

This may be off topic, but we just bought a 5ft Bushog Sq600 rotary cutter for our new 790. The SQ series uses a rubber shield in the front to slow the velocity of debris ejection. Ours lasted about 1 hour before it was torn and useless. Bushog says they do not make chain shields for the SQ series and I would have to replace it with the same crappy rubber shield under warranty. Can I buy generic aftemarket chain shields from a tractor supply house? It is a shame they put such a weak shield on an otherwise sturdy cutter. Thanks in advance. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-18          16406

delkiss, I don't have a "tooth bar", but what I've seen of them indicates it is a fine, and perhaps almost necessary, accessory if you are going to try to do any serious digging with a front end loader, but they are not cheap (the reason I don't have one). Click on Carver's banner and you can get some prices there for a start.

Rob, In 1997, my Bush Hog squealer came without a guard of any kind. I tried making my own rubber guard, and it didn't last long, so I made my own chain guard. I now have a Howse 500 and I made rubber guards for it, and promptly tore them up. I don't know of anywhere you can get generic chain guards, but am very surprised to hear that Bush Hog doesn't have them for the squealer anymore. Of course, all the ones I've seen were quite expensive, and I'd sure like to know about it if you find them anywhere except from the manufacturer of the brush hog. ....

View my Photos
SteveofNJ

2000-05-21          16483

Halsey, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Was very busy at work.

The tooth bar works great, it is made by a company in PA, called ATI, and I will try and get the number for you. It is a perfect fit on the 70 bucket. Just slide the bar over the cutting edge, and drill two pre-holes, followed by the larger finished holes (very easy to drill through the bucket sides with new drill bits or good sharp ones) and two bolts. Then I had to fasten the removable teeth( cost more for this type of bar, but worth it to me). Took about 15-20mins. and away I went to make a mess of my yard. LOTS OF FUN!

Cost was 400.00 all together. I have seen them for less, but would question the quality of the ones that cost 250.00! Order local, not on the net, too hard to return the product or get help if you need it. Try and find the bar I have, again it's made by ATI, in PA. Ask a local JD dealer.

As far as the quality of the bucket with the tooth bar, well it cuts real nice now. Don't expect a tooth bar to add HP to the tractor, keep in mind that this is a compact, you are not going to cut 6" of packed rock and dirt at a time. Little 2" cuts are all you can expect. But you get nice full loads each time, and with a little practice, the quality and quantity of dirt removal will improve to a level not possible with a standard cutting edge. I knew I had made a moster out of my machine when I drove forward 4-6' and had a full bucket and the machine had that front heavy feeling when I raised the bucket up. Without the tooth bar, all I ever got was the effect of compacting the ground more and some dust in the bucket with some pebbles, well maybe a little better, but you get the picture.

I also found the teeth great to take the place of a box scraper for leveling small areas. Just tip the bucket all the way down, and adjust deep of cut as needed while backing up, works great for busting up rocky soil too.

So, go get yourself a tooth bar, and have some fun with it. This little bar has basiclly eleminate most chores I was sure I would need a backhoe for. What a great tool my 790 has become!

Good LUCK! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login