Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere JD 790 for Muck land Work

View my Photos
kangaroo31
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-06-24          143154

Just bought a piece of land in New Hampton, 36 acre (32 acres muck land). Also very interesting in 790, have to make a decision in one month. Could you send me an email?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-24          143159

It seems that F350Lawman doesn't come around here much anymore so he may not read your post. If you have any specific 790 somebody here could probably help out. ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-06-24          143160

Thanks kwschumm:
I am thinking if 790 plus 300 FEL can do most of my field jobs. I have 16 acres open muck land and 20 acres forest. Planning only spend 90% time on the open field next 5 years. As I understand 790 itself light weight is a plus on soft muck land. Since all the dirt moving is dealing with light black dirt (relatively lighter than other dirt when dry),the "weak" 300 FEL is supposed good enough for the work. I don't know am I right or not. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-24          143162

The 790 is a simple and rugged tractor of an older design. That's not a bad thing, it doesn't have any much in the way of costly gizmos to break. Maybe it's weakest points are dry brakes and a relatively cramped drivers area (which may be a problem depending on your size). It's often been said that a small tractor will do most anything a big one will do, it just takes longer and the work may have to be broken up into smaller pieces. I'm sure you'd want a 4WD model. ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-06-24          143163

Thanks,kwschumm. My land picture is attached. But right now it is all covered by 5' wild grasses. :-(
I am 5'11". I do feel very uncomfortable avoid to touch wrong things when I sit on a 790 yesterday.
I visit a farmer today (one of my friend's father).He also told me buy the tractor as big as you can.
May be I better to change to another way to ask. 20K budget, for tractor, rough cut mower and tiller.
What is the best choice? :-)

If work need to done:
1.All on muck land.
2.Need load and move a lot of black dirt.
3.Rough cut mow up to 5 acres 3-4 times per year.
4.Till up to 16 acres twice per year.
5.Build and maintain 1600-2000 feet dirt and gravel road.
6.Do 16 acres forest minimum things maintenance.
7.Do some ditches and to 2 small ponds dig next year. ....

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors John Deere JD 790 for Muck land Work

View my Photos
MacDaddy

2007-06-25          143205

Not sure how "mucky" your muck is, but you may want to consider renting a dozer. Sounds like you have a lot of acerage to deal with. The JD may be able to cross the mucky area, but once you have the FEL loaded with wet soil, the front tires are going to want to sink in. I think you need to figure out your drainage patterns, then create some ditches to intercept the surface runoff. You may be able to dry out some of these areas without having to move so much material.

The tractor should do fine with most of the other jobs though. GLuck ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-06-25          143212

Thanks, MacDaddy.
Ditch is the first thing I have to face. Most of part is nature drained for at lease 50 years. Because no working ditch on that. When heavy rain, it is partially flood.Thanks for mention, I will never try field work with FEL. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-06-26          143227

Things to look for, a wider tire the same height or diameter. Duals would also help to keep you from going down or sinking in. ....

View my Photos
kangaroo31

2007-06-27          143258

Thanks,Art. Is that call: front-wheel-assist or Mechanical Front-Wheel-Drive? There are more pictures I took in mid May this year, right now open area all covered by 5-6 feet weeds.:-(
I have a old well on site like the picture. looks I have to change to an oil powered water pump. Any size or brand can recommand for AG using? ....

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors John Deere JD 790 for Muck land Work

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-06-30          143346

Sounds like the first part of the plan would be to buy/rent/hire a 4x4 backhoe for the ditching. A mini- or midi-excavator would do it too. I ran 1000 feet of 2'x3' ditch for a neighbor with a Bobcat-brand mini-excavator (just under 10,000 lb.-class) through the swamp and woods and it worked well. Be sure to get an enclosed cab 'cause the 'skeeters will eat you alive! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-07-01          143355

Front wheel assist or mechanical front wheel drive are both one in the same as we commonly call four wheel drive here. Lighter is better under these working conditions and the lower your pounds per square foot are the better! Thats why years ago in the canastota muck land nearby the dozer was a popular method to till with.

Thats why if you could work with a neighber to to see if there are any more difficlut areas to contend with. If it is often wet drainage might help or there might be a different option. There are several makes of light dozers that offer three point hitch as well as independent pto and front blades. Muck doesn't wear tracks like gravel or stone. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login