Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 2320 tire choices

View my Photos
SnowFarmer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-03          141759

I am about to purchase a 2320 with a loader and MMM. I am a bit torn about the tire choice, and I would like some advice from the members on the board.

During the first year or two I expect to do quite a bit of loader work, mainly landscaping and ditching. Thereafter I expect to do mostly mowing with the MMM on 3-4 acres, although I may do some haying with a 3-point cutter on my 25 acres of fields.

Some of my land is in a hillside, and the lawn has parts with 15 - 20 degree grade.

For purely mowing, the turf tires are probably the better choice. For the rest of the chores, the R4 might be superior.

Could I get some advice on whether the turf tires might be acceptable for more general field work, or whether the R4's would be sufficiently gentle on my lawn for mowing purposes?

Thanks for any advice on the topic.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 2320 tire choices

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-03          141760

I have a virtually identical tractor: a Deere 4115.

It came with R-4's and I couldn't wait to get them off the tractor. Those tires are designed for a 8000 pound skid steer where they serve well, but they are the worst choice IMHO for a 1600 pound tractor.

They are particularly bad in snow and mud because they act like a solid rubber tire and do not conform to ground conditions, as in griping the ground surface. And the ride is terrible.

I would get the turfs. Or you could do as I did and replace the rear r-4's with a similar size SUV mud & snow radial. ....

JD 2320 tire choices

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-03          141761

My experience with R4s in clay soil is they are darned near worthless in wet or dry. I replaced them with R1 ag tires which get much better traction but would be hard on lawns. You'd probably be better off with turfs than R4s. ....

JD 2320 tire choices

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-04          141764

SnowFarmer; Welcome to the board, we always need some new blood around here. Tire tread choices, Wow that is like discussiong your favorite pickup brand at a church picnic, everybody has a favorite and likely will tell you why, then soon as the smoke clears everybody goes home friends ready for the next discussion. I'm on my third Deere compact, a 4310, all three have had R-4's. The first compact I ever drove was a demo Deere 4100 4X4 Hydro with a rear mount finish mower on Turf tires. I tried to mow the road ditch in front of the house, it had rained, so a bit of standing water here and there, STUCK on wet grass, drove it out on the edge of a tilled field, a bit muddy, turf tread filled up with mud, STUCK on top of the ground. I have did about everything in the book with the R-4's from smow to mud to front yard, far sa I'm concerned I would'nt trade my set of R-4's for all the turfs you could pile on a flatcar. In fact the local Deere dealer almost refuses to take in a used compact on turfs, the last one he had he sent to an auction to get it off the lot. So like the church picnic, I have all the respect in the world for KW and Drankin. In spite of our differences of opinion we'll be back again for another "Church Picnic" discussioon on another subject and again go home friends. I'll quit rambling, but in my opinion, no other tread design comes close to satisfying the broad range of things you want to do other than the R-4's. Enjoy whatever you buy. Frank. ....

JD 2320 tire choices

View my Photos
harvey

2007-05-04          141766

I'll throw in my $.02. I like the turfs. I backhoe, skid logs, mow, run in wet slime mud and all kinds of snow.

If it is real wet in the woods I throw on a pair of rear chains. Steep snowy driveways require chains also, no matter what the tire.

I would not have a R-4 on these light tractors. My second option would be ag, R-1, tires. But I have a yard not a lawn.

What kind of soils will you work it in? Clays, rocky, gravel, loamy...

Like Frank said the debate continues... Fat girls or skinny girls... ....

JD 2320 tire choices

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-05-04          141770

Sometimes you just can't tell what's best except by trying. Two experienced tractor guys from my dealer came out to look over our property and they both thought R4s would be fine. They were both wrong and the dealer traded me even for R1s in the first 50 hours. So there 'ya go :) ....

JD 2320 tire choices

View my Photos
ronald65

2007-05-04          141772

Breifly, what is the difference between R4's and R1's? I assume one is Tractor tread,like a 14.9-24? is R4 the ag tire? (shallow alternating diagonal bars)like a 17.5-24
Ron ....

JD 2320 tire choices

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-04          141776

Ronald; Yes, the common farm tractor tread, (R-1), that has the tall narrow tread bars that probably only cover like maybe 30% of the face of the tire are designed to allow the tread bar to penetrate the soil surfact and the face of the tire to contact the soil surface to support the weight of your tractor. They are by far the best in farm field conditions, but real nasty on front lawn conditions. R-4's, like you see on backhoes and skid loaders are designed with probably 60-70 % of the tire face covered by wide flat bars. They aere designed for the bars to suport the weight of your tractor. They are no match for R-1's in field conditions because the bars just aren't tall enough to get a "Bite" on the soil. There is a day and night difference between the two in road wear. Lots of back hoes spend a lot of time on the road from job to job, and skid steers whether on cement or not by their "Skid" form of steering abrade tire bars feal fast., It doesn't take much road time on R-1's to start to see severe bar wear, where as the R-4's with much more tread surface out live the R-1's by miles. Frank. ....

JD 2320 tire choices

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-05-04          141789

If I lived where Frank or Ken lived I would have R-1's. Nothing is better for muddy or dry field conditions.

But I live on a steep, rocky sand dune. like Frank, my first tractor was a Deere 4100, only mine came with R-1/Ag tires. And like Frank that tractor would get stuck on flat ground until I changed the tires. So there you go........

I guess the answer depends on where you live.

If you had asked about R-1 vs. R-4's I would have asked about your ground conditions.......... but R-4's vs. turfs?

I'll take the turfs (maybe with chains) with any ground condition.

I checked the Deere web site and it looks like Deere no longer offers R-1's on your model. Can your dealer supply them?

Frank.... if I am every in your neck of the woods, I will join you at that church picnic. I have some serious opinions about pick-up trucks I'd like to share.......... ....

JD 2320 tire choices

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-05-04          141790

My #1 pic will show what works best in my soil and weather conditions.

I regularly plow snow without chains on my steep lot with these tires. They are mounted on the rims that came with the R-4's. ....

JD 2320 tire choices

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-05          141799

Drankin; You would be more than welcome at the church picnic, they are usually in August, but I don't know which weekend yet. it is always a pot lock, so maybe if you brought a rattlesnake casorole, and maybe a couple baked armidillo's, us flatlanders would pig out on that and possibly we could slip some fresh sweet corn and pork loin or maybe some CORN FED roast beef on your plate you would pass out from over eating and never get to discuss pickups. I'm getting hungry. Enjoy your weekend. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login