Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4300 Starting Problem Interlock

View my Photos
Haney1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-02-23          139970

Hello,
I have a problem starting my JD4300 and was hoping to get some help.

I have owned this tractor for about 2 years now. Never has it failed to start.. I have not used the tractor since Novemeber and went out last night to start to use the boom pole to set a motor out of a truck... I heated the tractor by pushing in the key and then moved to the start position... NOTHING! I made sure the PTO's were disengaged and tried again. Nothing, no clicking nothing.

I first thought battery so I got my mulimeter out and I have 12V on the battery. I know that you can have this with no load, so I left the multimeter on and tried to start, still 12V. I even cut on the headlights and they do not dim or anything when I move to the start position. I am certain it is not a battery.

I am thinking that some interlock has me locked out. When I sit in the seat and turn the key, I hear the loud click and when I get up I hear the click again if the key is on. I also checked the switch with my multimeter and it works.

I THINK my problem is with the interlock on the foward / reverse pedals (this is a Hydro tractor). A couple times while mowing last year, I would turn the tractor off and then go to start and it would do the same thing. I could then press the foward / reverse pedal a couple times and it would then start. I also noticed a couple times that If I stopped the tractor, disengauged the PTO and then tried to get out of the seat, sometimes the motor would surge up and down like it was going to die. I could sit back down and rock the tractor with the forward/reverse pedal and then get up and it would idle.

I unpluged this switch and jumpered it out and still nothing. I removed the jumper and tested for continunity in the wires leading to the dash and they are closed. Do I have a relay bad? If so, can someone give me a clue which one. I do not have a maintenance book for this tractor.

Any help someone could give me, I would greatly appreciate. If I need to troubleshoot or look elsewhere, just point me in that direction...

Thanks,
Jamie

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-23          139973

When you turn the ignition switch on, are you getting any malfunction codes from the light on the right fender? ....

View my Photos
Haney1

2007-02-23          139974

I have not looked for any lights. There is nothing different on the dash but you say right fender. Which light? And what are the codes? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-02-23          139975

I think the code lights on the fender are only on the 10 series and newer. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-23          139976

My mistake. I was thinking 4310 not 4300. Looks like you will have to individually isolate each safety lockout and troubleshoot the starter system if not the safety lockouts.

Not sure it the problem is on my end or what but GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ TP takes FOREVER to load up! ....

View my Photos
Haney1

2007-02-23          139977

I was really hoping that there was going to be a common problem that already had a fix, but it looks like I have a date with a multimeter.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for my 4300 that they could email me? I would be interested in the interlock and starter diagram. This would help me tremendously.

Also, are there any other interlocks besides the seat, pedals, and PTO? Are these switches normally open or closed. I guess what I am saying if they are normally closed then I can unplug and jumper out right?

View my Photos
Billy

2007-02-25          140010

If your battery is only showing 12 volts, you have a seriously discharged battery. Other than that and what you've already checked, check you fuses and for any loose wires. ....

View my Photos
Haney1

2007-02-26          140014

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the interlocks and starting circuit for a 4300 that they could email me? ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-02-26          140016

Haney, you can order the Technical Manual on CD-ROM (TM1677CD) from JD for about $65.00. Or the paper version (TM1677) for about $130.00 ....

View my Photos
Haney1

2007-02-26          140019

Where can I make this order? ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-02-26          140020

You can call or go by your nearest JD dealership. You can also buy it online from https://jdparts.deere.com ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2007-02-26          140021

Send me your email address (I tried to PM you and couldn't) and you serial number for the tractor (So I can identify which electrical diagram corresponds) and I will email you a PDF with the electrical information you need. ....

View my Photos
Haney1

2007-02-26          140022

Annbrush....
THANKS!!! I will get the serial number off of the tractor tonight and send you it and my email address!! ....

View my Photos
Haney1

2007-02-27          140044

AnnBrush,
You have a PM! Thanks, ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2007-02-27          140051

I dont think the send PM to me works as TP has my email address listed as annbrush (at) verizon (dot) net and there is nothing in my inbox (email) . Just replace the symbols and remove the spaces and send me a regular email with the model and SN and I will send the PDF file.
Cheers Ann ....

View my Photos
Haney1

2007-02-27          140053

AnnBrush,
Message sent to annbrush(at)verizon(dot)net

Thanks, ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2007-02-28          140076

I sent you the relevant pages to the second email address you gave me - did you get them? ....

View my Photos
Haney1

2007-02-28          140079

That is my home email address so I will have to wait until I get home today to check... Thanks a bunch either way!!!

Jamie ....

View my Photos
lsmith600

2007-05-12          142041

One issue I had (might help someone in the future). Was mowing away and the tractor just shut down. Suspected the Interlock switches. Checked out fine. Then checked the fuse for the Interlock....was blown. Changed the fuse. Wouldn't start after the fuse change, then I realized that it wasn't in neutral....duh. Amazing how quick it starts when you put it in Neutral :-) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login