Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Andrew Budz
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-14          13740

OK...here's a tough one...I got lotsa work to be done...front loaderin', 5' bush hoggin', and 5' box bladin'workhorse narrowed down to JD 4300 and Kubota 3010...both HSTassume cost differential is insignificant factor in trade study...PROs??.........CONs???advice.....impressions.....real world experiences??.......all help greatly appreciated......Andy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Bob Herman

2000-03-14          13752

As the proud owner of a JD 4400, I highly recommend the 4400. I actially had a 4300 on ordered, then studied the specs more closely. I learned that the 4300 and 4400 are EXACTLY the same size and weight, only difference is the 4400 is about 3 more HP and about $1,000 more. After talking several others, I was convinced that the extra 3 HP was noticeable and worth the difference - my experience. I love the tractor and have a front loader and 47 backhoe on it. During the winter I used a 59" front blower and 6' backblade-worked great. We will be using a landscape rake, tiller, box scaraper and blly mower. It is a pleasure to operate and compares favorably to my larger JD 830. Just my thoughts ! Bob Herman in PA. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Ken

2000-03-15          13762

Andy,I was a proud owner of a 4300 12x12 with loader and 4wd.After the
rearend went out at 25hrs.pushing brush (they fixed it in about 21 days)
they had trouble getting parts.Only to have it go out again at 50hrs.They
had it for 19 days the second time.
Now we find out the front axel in the 4000 series is not to good.My
dealer told me that they couldn't replace mine because I didn't get a
belly mower with the tractor.
So I'm still the owner but not so proud. Ken
PS Brakes not real good either. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Andrew Budz

2000-03-15          13765

Ken...thanx for the input. Sorry to hear of your woes, but it can happen to anyone. From the looks of what I've read in hear, it seems that you have a somewhat isolated situation. Other than that...how did you like the operation and ability of your 4300?? Did you do much work in and around trees??...my property is fairly densely populated with some nice size trees and I really don't want to take many of them down..... ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Andrew Budz

2000-03-15          13769

BobH...glad you're enjoying your 4400!...if my wife gets her way.....we'll have a 4600!*laughing*
I'm more concerned with manueverablity in and around the trees.....bushoggin' and rakin'.........how is that big boy of yours in those situations??

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Phil Serre

2000-03-15          13771

Bob
I have a Kubota 3410HST and I love it. It works great around trees and has more then enough power. I mow with a 90inch three point rear discharge and the only problem I have is scuffing the lawn in bumpy areas. The tractor is perfect for my 7.5 acre lawn and has never given me any problems at all. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Bob Herman

2000-03-15          13781

Andy, I too have many trees in the yard. In fact my 4400 was delivered with 430 loader and 47 backhoe so I could dig out some stumps. I have yet to mow with the 60" belly mower. Howeve, manueverablity seems fine to me. Overall tractor control is great. Regarding a previous comment about 'poor brakes', I rarely find it necessary to use the brakes - let off pedal the tractor stops. Bob Herman ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Steve

2000-03-16          13816

Andy, I looked at the same two tractors that are considering. I ended up with a JD 4300 HST 4x4 w/430 loader and R4 tires. The Kubota was a nice tractor, but since I will be removing the loader frequently for mowing, I wanted a loader that would come off more easily than the Kubota loader did (I went to a dealership that sold both and the guy took amost 20 minutes to get the Kubota loader off and back on. It only took about 5 minutes for the Deere). The 4300 has awsome power and the 430 loader can handle just about anything that gets in its way. Yesterday I was cutting into the side of a clay embankment that was full of tree roots and had absolutely no problem getting a full bucket. The Deere is heavier than the Kubota, but I think that helps the tires get a better bite. My 2 cents. Let us know what you decide. Steve ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Eddie Watkins

2000-03-16          13826

Andy, I just bought a JD 4300 HST with 4WD, R4 tires, foldable ROPS, and a 430 frontend loader. I paid $17,754.50. I had narrowed it to the Kubota L3010, B2910, JD 4200, and JD 4300. Based on information on this chat line I decided the JD 4200 was a little under powered. The L3010 felt a little big to me for what I was going to use it for so I went back to the dealers for a final price on the B2910 and the JD 4300. The Kubota dealer gave me a price of $20,142 on the B2910. I don't know if he was tired of messing with me, trying to sell a B2710 (which he had in stock) or just made a mistake on his pricing. At any rate he probably lost a sale. I thought they were all really nice tractors and it really came down to the JD dealer being more patient, I probably was a real pain for both of them. I went back and looked at them three or four times and drove them all twice. The JD appears to have more lifting power based on the specs and I liked the visibility on the JD due to the sloped hood. I also liked the plastic and based on what folks have said here on the chat line it is very durable. I am happy with my decision and haven't second guessed myself since. The tractor was being assembled today and due to be delivered next week. I will be able to tell you whether they are putting the new axles on the newly manufactured 4000 series tractors next week. Somebody a week or so ago recommended driving them and see which one feels best to you and I think that is the best advice I received, it worked for me. Sorry I can't give that sage person proper credit but I'm old and forgetful. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Andy

2000-03-17          13833

Eddie....CONGRATS!!...and thanx for the input. I'm still trying to make up my mind between the JD4300 and the L3010. Both dealers have been very patient with me and I've bothered them even more than you apparently have! *laughing* Both dealers have quoted me a very reasonable price within just a few bucks of each other. Tractor, R4s, folding ROPS, loader, 5' box scraper, 5' rotary cutter, and 5' landscape rake for just a shade over/under $20K. Kubota has a better warranty and better financing. Deere has the durable plastic and easier to remove/replace loader. The Kubota has a wider stance with he R4s (good/bad...not sure for me yet). Deere has the left/right brake on the correct side (opposite the forward/reverse pedals). Kubota is in stock. I'll have to wait for the JD in order to get the 2000 yr model (I want one with most of the bugs worked out). Both dealers want to bring their respective units out to my property to let me have some "play" time. I think that's the next step. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Andy

2000-03-17          13836

Steve, nice to hear the tools you spent so much hard earned cash on are working great for ya! Makes me wanna spend mine!*laughing* Do you have weights on your 4300? I was on a 4100 yesterday and all I could do with the front loader was pick up the front end of the tractor...probably just operator error...eh? ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-03-17          13847

Steve, Of course I'm glad you're happy with your John Deere; both brands are fine tractors. But your comment about the Kubota guy taking 20 minutes to take the front end loader off and put it back on while the John Deere guy did it in 5 minutes really makes me wonder. I haven't looked closely at all the different models, but I could quite easily remove and replace the front end loader on my Kubota B2710 in 5 minutes or less. It's a darned sight easier than changing a 3-point implement on the rear of the tractor. I'm wondering if you weren't talking to a really inexperienced Kubota salesman. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Mike

2000-03-17          13854

Bird,I'm like you,I've never timed myself,but I would say I can remove the loader from my 2710 in under 5 minutes.I know I can hook up my mid-mount mower in that same time frame also.I have a 72" mower deck that I drive over the top of to get into position to attack to the linkage.No need to use the loader to raise the front end of tractor off the ground,or no need to try to roll the deck under the tractor.I really don't know how these changes in equipment could be any simpler,or less time consuming. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-03-17          13861

Bird and Mike, when I read Steve's post I thought he was comparing loader attach/detach times between the 4300 and the 3010, which is the comparison that Andy was originally making. I believe the 2710/2910 loader design was improved for attachment/detachment ease over the 3010/3410/3710 series. Of course, the 3010 and the 4300 are in the same weight class as opposed to the lighter 2710/2910 also. We have so many good choices out there that it gets difficult to weigh all the pros, cons, and preferences against what we predict our uses will be for our toys. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-03-17          13862

Bird, it also sounds like Steve's Kubota and John Deere dealers were the same person. I ordered my 4400 from a dealer who sells both Deere and Kubota also. Makes it alot easier to cut through some of the BS when the dealer makes money whether you buy the one brand or the other. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Andy

2000-03-17          13864

Mike, excuse my ignorance...but I just have to know how you drive over a 72" belly mower to get it into position for attachment?? ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-03-18          13873

JeffM, I would think having a dealer who sells both Kubota and John Deere would certainly be an advantage. I'm not sure what makes the difference, but in my area, I don't know of a John Deere dealer who sells other brands also. My Kubota dealer also sells Case International. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Mike

2000-03-18          13874

Andy,the RC72-27B mid-mount mower is designed and built to withstand the weight of the front end of the tractor driving over it.You simply raise the gauge wheels up,and that puts the deck down to almost ground level.I use a couple of 2x6 blocks next to the back side of the deck,this helps the front tires of the tractor get started over deck.Once the deck is under the tractor,you hook up the linkage arms,mid PTO shaft,and set the gauge wheels to the height you want.Thats it,just reverse the procedure to remove the deck.How many compact mfgs. out there build a mower deck you can drive over? Also,the deck does an excellent job of mowing too. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Mike

2000-03-18          13877

Jeff,did'nt realize the differance between the B-series and the L-series loaders.I was assuming when Kubota came out with the Grand L-series tractors,the loader application would be updated also.Guess not.I previously owned a B2150,and hook-up and removal of the loader was a little more time consumming,that process would take 5-10 minutes,max. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-03-18          13886

Mike, you are right, the 3010 loader (LA481) shown in the Feb99 brochure is a new quick-attach design similar to that on the 2710. I don't know if this is the particular loader that Steve saw demonstrated. This design uses pins and therefore is a "no-tools" operation, but like a simple 3-point hitch you still have to align pins with holes, etc. The JD 430 loader for the 4300 doesn't even use pins; you simply move a lever to "lock" the loader in place. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-03-18          13887

JeffM, If the 3010 loader is like the 2710 loader (LA401), it uses pins all right, but it's nothing like aligning the pins on a 3-point hitch, since the holes for the loader pins are self-aligning. You can take the loader off or put it back on without ever setting your beer . ., er, I mean coffee cup, down. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Andy

2000-03-18          13891

Bird...my AA group frowns on me setting my beer on my tractor.......even if I remember to use a coaster!..*laughing*..................
the JD dealer dropped off a 4300 today for me to play with until Monday......I'M IMPRESSED!! ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Steve

2000-03-20          13975

Hey guys, didn't mean to stir things up on this loader thing. I shopped two dealers and both carried Deeres and Kubotas. One of the things that I required when checking the ease of attaching and detaching the loader was that the tractor be moved away from the loader after detaching. I wanted to see how difficult it would be to reconnect if the tractor was slightly out of line with the loader. As I indicated in the earlier post, the Kubota was considerably harder to detatch/reattach. If memory serves me, the problem with detatching was that it was difficult to get the weight off of the pins in order to remove them. The guy had to get a hammer out to ultimately remove them. The problem with attaching was that if the tractor and loader was just slightly out of alignment, the pins would not go back in. It was about 10 months ago when I originally looked at the two tractors, so my description of the problems may be a little off. I was not aware that Kubota had updated their loader designs since I did my looking. If so, good for them because that was one of the main reasons I went with the Deere. Having a dealer that sells both is nice because they won't bash one over the other - they tend to stick to the real differences between the two tractors. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-03-20          13977

Steve, Maybe they've changed something, and of course I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but it still sounds to me like "pilot error"; a salesman who didn't know what he was doing. ....

Kubota 3010 or JD 4300

View my Photos
Andy

2000-03-22          14041

OK.....I played with the JD4300 all w/e and now my place looks like a mine field, but I sure had a blast!..........Still no decision.............Kubota dealer is bringing me out an L3010 to play with this w/e....maybe I've become proficient enough now to repair my place...*L*...looks like Monday will be decision day...BTW, thanx for all the help folks! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login