Go Bottom Go Bottom

Transmission Fan Blades

View my Photos
bmeyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-15          127716

I was crawling under my 2210 last week with a lube gun and happened to look up at the Hydrostatic Transmission. There is a plastic (Nylon?) fan on the front end for cooling I suppose. Anyhow, I'm missing 2 blades. THey seem to be broken off right near the base.

My dealer is willing to replace under warranty (under two years of ownership), but I'm wonder how blades like that break off. Could a stick get up there?

Secondly, is it an easy replacement? Do you need to take the floor board off to get at it? It doesn't seem like you can do it from below.

Any Advice?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Transmission Fan Blades

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-15          127720

The sub-compacts use the fan to cool the hydro and sticks are the biggest culprit to break off the fins. ....

Transmission Fan Blades

View my Photos
mhalla
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-15          127748

Replacement of the fan in one piece is not easy. You have to remove the seat, ROPS, fender, wheels, and finally pull the hydrostatic transmission out the back of the tractor in order to remove the driveshaft from the transmission to permit sliding on a new fan. Definately a lot of work to replace a fan that costs less than $8 and is likely to break again. ....

Transmission Fan Blades

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-04-16          127752

My god they built the tractor around a $8 fan. ....

Transmission Fan Blades

View my Photos
bmeyer

2006-04-16          127756

That's an incredible amount of work!! I can't believe they designed it that way. There should be a quick bolt to remove to get at the fan!

I'm sure not everyone goes through this laborious process or the cost. What do others do? Do you just run with the missing blades? Does it affect the tranny?

Berland ....

Transmission Fan Blades

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-04-16          127758

It would seem to me that an enterprising person could design a split fan assembly that would open like a clamshell and go on the drive shaft. It could be secured with something like hose clamps or embedded screws.

And yes, I ran my BX for several months with a missing fan blade. ....

Transmission Fan Blades

View my Photos
mhalla

2006-04-16          127786

The fan bolts onto a flange attached to the driveshaft. There are four bolts that make the connection. I have learned of a replacement approach that involves cutting the fan into two halves. Each half will be held by two bolts. To restore some of the structural integrity it seems to make sense to use some glue when installing the second half.

The fan on my 2210 tore up this winter while I was using my LX4 rotary cutter for the first time. I bought a new fan to replace the one I tore up and need to get it installed on the tractor this week now that the outside temperatures have started climbing. I plan to use the above described approach. No time to go the other route that involves tearing off the rear of the tractor.

Mike ....

Transmission Fan Blades

View my Photos
bmeyer

2006-04-17          127798

Are the replacement fans stonger than the originals? I'd hate to think of doing this again every few years. This operation has to take several hours to complete I'd guess.

Surely those who run their machines professionally in a harsher environment than my backyard, must have encountered this problem. The split fan concept (above) seems plausible. Anyone tried it?

Berland ....

Transmission Fan Blades

View my Photos
bmeyer

2006-04-17          127800

I just looked at the 2210 online parts catalog: (http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt) .

It appears the fan is attached to the drive shaft from the engine. Is it possible to drop that drive shaft and get at it??

Berland ....

Transmission Fan Blades

View my Photos
mhalla

2006-04-28          128460

Probably still too much work taking everything off around the rear of the engine to remove the driveshaft at that point of connection.

I have since learned of someone who disassembled the rear universal joint on a 2210 to provide the clearance necessary to pull the splined end of the driveshaft out of the transmission and replace the fan.

Supposedly took just a half hour to do using this approach.

Mike ....

Transmission Fan Blades

View my Photos
bmeyer

2006-04-28          128467

Thanks for the tip. I've made arrangements to have it serviced at my dealer under Warranty. He had a hard time finding the fan blade part even though I gave him a printout from the on-line manual. It just wasn't coming up on his machine. I'll let folks know how the dealer decided to approach this repair. Maybe he's got a trick up his sleeve??

Transmission Fan Blades

View my Photos
Art White

2006-04-29          128547

I don't know of a sub-compact manufacturer that doesn't use these fans. I try to steer clear of the bush-hog application with them if at all possible. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login