Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4300 MFWD Problem Question

View my Photos
Steve
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-06          12564

I just received my long awaited JD 4300 MFWD HST last week. I spent a few hours today looking over the entire tractor so I could become familiar with where things are located. During my inspection, I noticed that the front drive shaft has been rubbing on the engine block in the notch right behind the oil pan. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. If not, what is the clearance between the drive shaft and the notch in the block. THANKS! Steve

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Ross

2000-02-06          12565

I got a 4400 with 10 hours on it now with the same thing, seen a 4300 on the lot ,same thing . I don't think there is a problem though these are a loose fit between the front axle and the rear. just my thouhgts. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-02-07          12572

Are you alll saying that the 4300 has an exposed drive shaft? Or does it live in a drive shaft tube like the older JDs... ....

View my Photos
Steve

2000-02-07          12573

Roger, It appears that the new JD 4000 tractors have an exposed shaft. My fear is that the shaft will continue to wear at this location, causing a weak spot on the shaft that might eventualy fail - probably after the warranty expires... ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-02-08          12612

Well then, it would probably bother me too. But is it eating the shaft or just polishing it? I'd bet the latter and if so this is the type of job that I prefer to fix myself. Sort of a bonding between man and machine. If the interference is slight, could it be that the casting has a bit of extra material in the notch? How hard is it to loosen the drive shaft at one end, lower it, and file out a bit of the offending flashing? There always seem to be a few things that I want to improve but are better done by the owner than by a nameless mechanic at a shop. ....

View my Photos
Steve

2000-02-08          12621

The shaft has several small grooves worn into it where it passes through the notch in the block. The grooving is probably due to cast marks in the block. The area in question is about 1.5 to 2 inches in length. I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to remove the shaft and grind the notch area smooth so that it won't continue to cut grooves in the shaft. Any thoughts? ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-02-08          12645

I have a flexible shaft grinder that I use for that sort of thing, but a round or half round file will work. Nicholson is a good brand name. Chain saw sharpening files are slightly harder than standard metal files, but the teeth are not very aggressive = lots of strokes. Like any cutting tool, only cut on the forward stroke and it will stay sharp longer. Dab some paint the shaft so that you can confirm that it no longer interferes. Just the kind of job to make for a pleasant afternoon of bonding with your tractor. Some like to use removeable locktite on drive shaft bolts. (#242 I think) ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-02-11          12694

Roger: Is the removable lock-tite the sort of stuff I remember from my motor cycle mechanic days. Thin blue liquid, and just a few drops on threads? I recently bought some and read the directions which said heat to ____? degrees to remove. I thought, I really don't want to be heating a bold around fuel and oil, so I threw it away. Maybe ther's a better product.

Regarding grinding: I'd be tempted to grind the grooves off the shaft as well. I believe that surface scores can turn into stress fractures. However, I don't know if tractor drive shafts turn over fast enough so balancing is a problem.

A balancing weight apparently fell off the drive on my truck. If you haven't experienced it before, it's a devil of a problem to figure out what's going on. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-02-11          12720

Yep, that's the stuff....but the state of the art in threadlockers has really advanced since you had to heat them. The best stuff is all red now, not blue. Comes in many different torque specs. I usually use "small fastener grade" for security and the heavy duty if the job demands it. Balanced the driveshaft on my sports car once and is made a big difference. It wasn't missing a weight, but the balance job was worth the money. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-02-12          12730

It figures. Bought obsolete 'heat to remove' thread lock this summer at the standard 'box store.' The same place where I bought the siphon pumps that don't work; the chain saw that you thank for just starting; and the air greese gun that you want to take to Florida with you.

Maybe I'll learn some day. Wonder how long I've been saying that. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-02-12          12733

Yep! I know exactly what you mean! There is an auto store very conveniently located at the edge of town. It is one of the chain stores that iadvertises as having the best price on everything. Nothing is said about quality, except that they will exchange it until you get a part that works. When I go in there I can count on having to wait while someone grimly returns a rebuilt starter or generator for the umpteenth time. Sometimes in a fit of madness I will buy parts there for an upcoming weekend project....only to throw the junk away when the weekend actually arrives and I look at what I have bought. It finally downed on me (I can be dense) that I have never bought anything useful at that store! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login