Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota vs New Holland vs Deere

View my Photos
chipster
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-14          124518

Need a new tractor to maintain 1 mile of hilly dirt road in the mountains, lots of snow to deal with in the winter, (Idaho) and grading, smoothing in the Summer. Looking at Kubota, Deere and New Holland. Any advice or concensus on which will perform best, what kind of HP do you suggest? Neighbor uses 26 HP Deere with rear snow blower. Thank you so much for your imput.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-14          124527

They all have their pros and cons. More important to me is the quality of the dealership and support. I bought green because I liked the ergonomics, the orange dealer sucked and the blue machines had weaker loader performance and didn't offer options I wanted. The blue loaders are now up to snuff so that's no longer an issue. If the dealer situation was reversed I might own orange instead. ....

View my Photos
chipster

2006-02-14          124528

How about the HP, I thought I'd need 35-40 to handle the grade I have on some of my hill, but neighbors 26-27 hp seems to make it ok?

Thanks ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-14          124530

One way to figure this out might be to get an idea of the size of implements you want to use and the pto hp required for them. Then you'll have your hp answer. If the price is too high you can downsize some. Then you can shop for dealers, price and features. If you're happy with the performance and speed at which your friends machine runs then you may already be in the hp ballpark. Much of hill performance depends on ballasting and traction (tires). If the hill is steep and turning around may cause a tipping hazard you may want to look for the widest machines and get tires/rims that can be set to the widest position. ....

View my Photos
Chipster

2006-02-14          124531

Thanks for the help...Gives me more questions to ask my local dealer!

Thanks again! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-15          124537

One thing I'd be looking into would be a front blower with a mile of roadway to clean. The rest is your desision just like Ken said to do, put a list together as to the jobs you want to do. Make it a list of everyday, weekly, monthly, yearly jobs. What you do everyday, or the most would be what the machine would be the most comfortable at. Buying to small might mean to much seat time to do the work you need done. To large and you might have to buy a smaller mower to finish. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-02-15          124544

Which transmission is your preference, gear or hydrostatic drive? Be sure to verify the model you go with will support a mid pto. If in doubt, it has been my experience that you will wish you had gone larger as you use the tractor more. For that much snow blowing, I would suggest taking a hard look at a cab tractor. You can make do with less hp but I would be leaning toward 35 - 40 hp as you have already mentioned and more towards the 40. Deere, Kubota, and Kioti offer some real nice cab tractors. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-02-15          124554

Where at in Idaho (went to high school there)? Also, what elevation are you operating at? That can rob significant Hp.

As you've been told, you won't regret more Hp. I'd seriously consider a unit that can handle a front mount snowblower so you won't be straining your neck riving backwards like with a rear-mount. Is you snow usually deep? Does it drift bad? Typiclaly powder or typically wet? What about summer duties? ....

View my Photos
Chipster

2006-02-15          124586

Thanks for the info Iowafan. I have weekend property in the ClearCreek area, about 30 miles NE from Boise. Went to High School at Capital in Boise. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-02-17          124713

Ok, I went to school up in the northern panhandle. Not close. I don't think people realize how big Idaho is from north to south.

Are you having much luck with getting the information you wanted? ....

View my Photos
Franco

2006-03-19          126324

I would go with a john deere 3520 or 3720 with a front mount snow blower. ....

View my Photos
Renob1

2006-03-22          126500

Take a look at the Kubota B3030 with a cab.

30HP, mid PTO, 4WD and the cab is fantastic when blowing snow.

Isn't it great spending other peoples money! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-03-25          126643

I maintain a mile road in SE Michigan---we don't get a lot of snow typically---but when we do, the last thing I would want to be on is a tractor with or without a cab. For the cost of cab with AC and heat (yep, the cab is great in winter but you most likely want AC too--been there---aftermarket AC from my skid steer is $3000) you can buy a nice, older 4x4 with a plow---with HEAT AND AC and a radio.

Don't know if you use salt on your road (which you probabaly will since plowing or blowing will cause the surface to be very smooth and promote icing or at the least loss of traction) the salt alone will cause premature rusting of components especially fender and cab-related parts that tend not to have a rust inhibitors or even primers. Even if you don't salt your own road, salt tracked in either in liquid form dripping from the undersides of vehicles and tires from traffic from adjacent highways will find its way to your tractor. I made the mistake of doing a job (read: freebie) for a buddy in the dead of winter. The machine was on the road trailered for 30 minutes at speeds under 35mph. By the time I unloaded it the salt had corroded/stripped all the bright cadmium plating on everything from hose fittings to bolt heads to steel hydraulic lines. Even though I washed it off the next day they were all rusted and continued to get worse. Buy a truck and plow for the winter.

If you use a tractor in the winter, you'll need to get opinions on tires (Ag. vs R-4) and weighting, and traction chains (maybe). ....

View my Photos
bvance

2006-03-25          126670

Chipster,

I've got a place in New Meadows ID (I'm originally from Homedale) and I have a New Holland Skidsteer with a front mount snow blower. With the much higher gpm hydraulic pumps in all of the skidsteer or bobcat type tractors, you get very good results. The snowblower has a direction chute controlled from the cab which is a must. A pricy unit but boy does it blow snow. Was over there on Presidents Day weekend and had not been there for some time and blew about 2' of compacted snow with no problem. It will blow 6" of snow moving about 4 mph and throw it about 30 feet. Having the unit in front of you is a real big plus.

Good Luck! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login