Go Bottom Go Bottom

Engine heater

View my Photos
millers1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-08          122408

What's a good way to pre-heat the engine on a 2210? Is there a specific engine block, oil pan, or cooling system heater you're using?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Engine heater

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-08          122414

I use a block heater on my 2910 and love it. I have a heated cab and although the snow has been light so far it is great feeling the warm air almost instantly! ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
millers1

2006-01-08          122424

How does it mount? Is it the type that goes into a freeze plug hole in the block or magnetic or..? ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-08          122427

I know I may be in a minority on this ( See last years discussion ) but you need to be careful with block heaters. If you leave the block warmed constantly, over time, you can dry out the cylinders by running the oil in them. Use a block heater for a short period of tiume before starting the tractor.

You don't run the same risk with an oil pan heater. Just keep the oil warm enough to flow well on start-up.

Engine heater

View my Photos
millers1

2006-01-08          122429

Interesting thought. I wasn't thinking of leaving it on all the time... but figured on really cold days, I'd go out and plug it in, then go drink a cup or two of coffee.. then go out and fire up the tractor. I've had a few times when the temps were in the "teens" that my 2210 was a little difficult to start. ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
cutter

2006-01-08          122432

News to me, my dealer installed the heater. I have one in my Cummins as well. ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
Art White

2006-01-09          122466

I don't recommend them being plugged in other then just before use with about 2 hours needed max. There have been more fires do to the wires shorting out then I can remember with the last one being just this fall and a loss of a barn as well. ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-01-09          122473

When I lived up near the Canadian border and temps would stay below 0 F for weeks, I would plug my truck in at work and at home. Work was nice, but their system (as well as Winnipeg's airport lot) turns the power on and off. That way, the engines are warm, but not too warm.

When I traveled to Fargo in winter in the diesel pickup, I pluged the truck in about 15-30 minutes before I wanted to start it. 15 minutes if it was aroun 0 degrees, longer if it was colder. It makes a big difference in the diesel starting.

At today's energy prices, I'd plug it in and then get a cup of coffee. Better for the tractor, less electricity bills, less that can go wrong. ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
Chief

2006-01-09          122497

Deere makes a block heater kit for the 2210 and they are in my opinion the only way to go. I installed the block heater kit on my 4410 and I just have to plug it in a few hours before I use the tractor and things warm up real fast.

Below is a link to a an install question that you should be aware of. ....

Link:   Block Heater/Governor cover on 2210

Engine heater

View my Photos
millers1

2006-01-09          122501

Good info.. thanks (and my dealer has one in stock!) ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-01-10          122549

If you are questioning whether to get one or not, I had one installed in my 4310 when I bought it. That way, I'm ready to go no matter the temp. I haven't had to use it yet as temps haven't dropped below 0 in the 1.5 winters I've had the tractor. But you just never know... ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
millers1

2006-01-18          122957

OK.. the engine block heater should be here by Friday.

Does anyone know the cooling system capacity? (need to get some coolant on the way home) ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
Chief

2006-01-18          122959

First off, you are gonna need a BEEFY 1/2 inch breaker bar and some "cheater" pipe to break the OEM threaded plug loose from the block. Trust me on this............ Maggilla Gorilla installs these threaded plugs at the Yanmar factory. ;O)

Next, rather than drain all of the anti-freeze, I put some Permatex #2 non-hardening sealant on the block heater threads so as to have it ready to go when I got the threaded plug out and disconnected the hyd. oil return pipe from the rubber manifold. Try to move as much stuff out from in front of the OEM threaded plug as is possible.

Be sure to wait until the engine is totally COLD and ensure the radiator cap is on TIGHT. This will slow the rate of anti-freeze draining out of the threaded plug hole in the block to a slow amount. Remove the threaded block plug and VERY quickly replace it with the block heater. I lost about 1 quart or there abouts of anti-freeze during the process. Then I topped off the anti-freeze level and reassembled.

A note to save you some headache. I tested my block heat on the bench PRIOR to installing it to be sure it worked. The block heater plug is in a tight spot on the engine block and is a bite of a PITA to tighten, but with some good open end wrenches you can do it.

Good luck and enjoy the block heater. Mine stopped working last week and I will have to replace mine. My dealer sent me a new block heater; no charge to replace it. ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-18          122965

I wonder if a block heater will fail prematurely if you get some of that thread sealer on the element and it creates a hot/cold spot? Just a thought. ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
Chief

2006-01-18          122966

I suppose that could be the case. I didn't get any on my block heater when I installed it almost 2 years ago. I think it was just one of those things. It was its time to go. ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
millers1

2006-01-18          122989

Hmm.. I was under the impression that on a 2210 the heating element screws into an adapter plate. Then an interference fit freeze plug is knocked out and the adapter plate is then held on by two cap screws. Guess I'll find out this weekend.

Bench testing sounds like a good idea (but it would probably be a good idea to submerge it in water or it might burn up). ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
Chief

2006-01-18          122991

It does. My mistake. For some reason, I thought this was a reply to another post on installing it in the 42,43, & 4410. Looks like you will have to drain the anti-freeze after all. Deere says the cooling system holds 3.2 qts. Sounds kinda low to me and Deere is known for errors in their specs. and manuals. Sorry for the brain fart on my part. ;O) ....

Link:   2210 cooling fluid capacity

Engine heater

View my Photos
millers1

2006-01-18          122995

Heh heh.. no problem. Yeah, under a gallon does seem low but might be right. thanks. ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
Chief

2006-01-18          122996

3.2 quarts is almost not enough to even worry about. ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-01-19          123041

Here is a BIG reason NOT to run the heaters permanently:
I have a JD 4300 - 2 heaters. Engine block - 300W, hydraulic oil heater - 150W both OEM parts. Total wattage is 450W.

450W / 1000 Watts per Kilowatt x 24 hours x 30 days x 0.12 dollars per Kilowatt hour = $38.88 dollars (without tax) per month JUST the heat the tractor.

Plus the heat attracts vermin to the engine while its sitting in a cold barn. ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
Chief

2006-01-19          123042

Leave these heaters plugged in all the time in a big fire hazard in my opinion, as well as wasted electricity as already mentioned. I plug mine in about an hour or two before I plan to use the tractor or truck. Just enought to warm it up enough to keep the heater grids from cycling on the Cummins and helps speed up the warm up on the 4410 emmensely. ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
millers1

2006-01-20          123080

That's pretty much my plan... plug in, come back in an hour and fire up the engine.

BTW... who actually makes the 2210 engine (Yanmar?) and does it actually have a glow-plug or some other type of air preheater?? Just curious.

So far, very pleased with what this sub-CUT will do and happy I got a Deere. My dealer's been great. ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
Chief

2006-01-20          123089

Yanmar manufactures the 2210 engine. The 2210 engine utilizes glow plugs. Evidently they are control automaticly. I am sure some of the other 2210 owners will jump in and post their comments on cold weather starting and glow plug use. ....

Link:   Using Ignition Switch

Engine heater

View my Photos
millers1

2006-01-20          123117

UPS had dropped off the engine heater today so went ahead and installed it. It was an easy install... "no brainer". I used RTV on the threads of the element so I'll let it set up over night and fill the coolant tomorrow.. check for leaks, etc.
A couple of observations... they could have made the power cord (pigtail) a little longer. I used a wire tie to secure that pigtail to another hose or wire... figured that the wire is probably not available separatly and since it's got an odd connector where it plugs into the heating element, I'd hate to loose it. Wouldn't take much for it to fall off and get lost. Also... once I saw what I was getting for my $110... I about fell over. A $5 heating element... for $50! A steel flange adapter, 2 Allen cap screws and a paper gasket... $50! ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
cutter

2006-01-20          123122

I wondered why my dealer did not charge me anything for mine when he installed it along with the Curtis Cab. ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
millers1

2006-01-22          123246

OK.. it was pricey.. but it seems to work very well. 25* this AM.. plugged it in, came back 1/2 hr later and the top coolant hose was warm. ....

Engine heater

View my Photos
2210jd

2006-01-23          123264

I too have an engine heater on my 2210. I also plug it in about 20-30 minutes before use, but only in sub-freezing temperatures. I have found that using the glow plugs works quite well in weather 20 degrees F and above. I simply put the machine in gear (high or low range) with the throttle at the lowest idle position. Then turn the ignition key all the way as if you were going to start it and hold it for about 10 seconds. Now put the tractor back into neutral and start it up. The glow plug works very well for me in these slightly "warmer" temperatures. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login