Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
Ron Miller
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-12          117815

I am having a Tough time deciding....John Deere 3320 with 33.3 HP or a Kubota 3400 with 32.5 HP both new and with FEL. This will replace my 1955 Ford 800 tractor.

I just like the looks of a JD and am comfortable with the name but the price difference ($2800.00 more for the JD) makes me cringe. Both dealers are within 4 miles of my home.

I don't mean to start any controversy.
Any help out there would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-13          117816

I have owned 2 Deere in this size range. Both were constructed and built in Osaka Japan by Yanmar. Yanmar has a good reputation in Marine diesels in the States, but has not really sold well under its own name. Deere is now assembling the tractors in Alpharetta, GA with Yanmar components from Osaka Japan.
The Kubota are assembled here in Gainsville GA with Kubota components from Osaka Japan. Kubota engines are sold to Bobcat and other reputable equipment manufactures.
There is likely a little more US content in the Deere. Do I think there is 2800$ difference? What do you think? I'd say No.
Personally I bought Deere because they were the best deal used, low hour machines for less money.
That said make sure you are happy with the machine. I have a 1960 MF 65 that still performs well and in some ways better than some new machines. You might have to live with it a long time. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-13          117831

Ron,

As a goal, try to shoot for MSRP minus 20% on both machines. Many dealers will come off of the MSRP 10% to 20% with 10% to 15% seeming to be the typical discount. Dealers with aged inventory or making room for new year models may be more willing to do this and may even go a bit more. I think you will be very satisfied with either machine. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-10-13          117845

Both manufacturers have excellent reputations and either would work well for you. Is there any difference between dealers regarding warranty/repair work history and reputation? That may be an important deciding factor. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
jd2210

2005-10-13          117847

I would consider the quality to be equal between the two machines. Even though that is said, I would purchase what I want and that's hard to put a price on, i.e., creature features, etc., but that's reality when you get to a point in your life when it's what you want. Believe me and regardless which you purchase (Deere for features vs. Kubota to save some money), if your heart is not into it you will not be happy with it for as long as you own it and given these machines that could be a long.....time. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
denwood

2005-10-13          117849

Yes both are tops, in my consideration, the loader is the single most important feature when both tractors are excellent. I found the JD to detach/attach easier and quicker, no kick stand junk on the JD. Go to the dealer and do both yourself. Look at the breakout strength at the pivot pin NOT the lift capacity. It is generally a useless number but good for comparison. The strongest is just necessary for me and JD smoked the comparables. It may have changed with new models. Get the Quick tach bucket with the univeral skid steer pattern. If you ever want any other attachments, you will be glad. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
Art White

2005-10-13          117850

Initial build quality goes to Kubota hands down! They have never had the recalls of the other manufacturers bar none. Deere does do a good job of correcting their mistakes in a timely manner. There are no to things created equal by man!!!!! Doesn't happen, no matter how precise someone tries to copy. Kubota has long enjoyed a list of options on units that the other makes continue to try and keep up with as well as the types of the machines built. To use the saying that "they are all the same" is misleading as it just doesn't happen! ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
willhughes

2005-10-13          117858

My opinion probably isn't quite as valid as those more experienced tractor folks, but I recently purchased a 3120 as my first (and hopefully only) tractor and am still in the figgering it out process, but have to say it is a very fine machine which is similar to the size & shape of the 3320, just has a few less hp. A friend told me the green stands for $$$ going out. But I do have to say I like it sitting in the garage. I'll just have to keep the 94 Jeep a few more years. I don't know about the Kubotas, but I am very impressed with the JD safety features and the fact the tractor seems to be very user-friendly. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
Ron Miller

2005-10-14          117868

Thank you all for the input it really helps having other ideas to toss around, when I finally decide I will post my decision. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
RMillers

2005-10-28          118593

Well I decided on the JD3320 4WD Hydro with a 300X FEL. R4 tires and a ballast box. They will deliver next week.

Kubota was hard to pass up but it boiled down to simply my personal opinion. I paid $19950.00 with a 3 year 0% JD financing. Maybe not the best deal in the world but its a John Deere. Man I hate it when I think like that. By the way the owner of the Kubota dealership was an old high school friend (30 some years ago) so I'm going to have to dodge him forever now. Anyway I'm looking forward to delivery. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
roger w

2005-10-28          118595

A friend of mine has a Kubota, it is a work horse I have a 4410 Jd. his has more jp than mine but both are a good tractor, but I can take off my bucker and rear blade must faster, and the deck too.

I am going to trade up to the the 3320 but our dearler here does not have one on site yet. Can any one here tell me how much better the loader and tractor in general will be.
thanks mike ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-10-29          118601

Rogerw, you are stepping down in HP from a 35HP 4410 to 32.5 HP 3320. Wouldn't you want to move to a 3520 with 37 HP? I haven't heard of any benefits of moving from the 10 series to the 20 series other than having the latest model. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
rogermo

2005-10-29          118606

opps, had my fingers on backwards. Ment to say 4110, sorry thanks for pointing the typo out. Would like to hear from any one that has a 3320 and how much more meat it would have over the (((4110))) got it right that time.

Thanks.

roger ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-10-29          118607

OK - now it makes sense. I have limited experience of a 4310 (roughly 3320 equivalent) with 430 loader and 47 backhoe. The loader can pretty much lift any boulder you can fit in the bucket. There was one really large boulder that filled the bucket and stuck way out of the bucket that I could only lift 6 inches - enough to take it up a hill. There isn't anything that, as a homeowner, I haven't been able to do with this tractor. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-10-30          118654

I've also got a 4310 and it's been everything and more than I've wanted. It's big enough to do the tasks I want, but small enough that my wife is comfortable driving it to mow. It runs a 72" mid mount deck with no problems and has cut my mowing time in half vs a JS 325 with 54" deck.

Loader goes on and off very easily and quickly. It's lifted everything I've asked of it including the 60" tiller out of the back of my pickup. Runs that 60" tiller with no problems at all even in my hard clay. I pulled a small manure spreader with it and spread the manure with no problems.

It's a great tractor. Just watch the height of the ROPS. I have to fold mine down to get in the one shop door I use for winter. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-30          118661

Sounds like you got a reasonable deal on Green. I would not avoid your friend. They make most money off their other equipment. Maybe he will be priced right on other equipment you need. I know you will see the difference. I jump back and forward in time all the time climbing from the MF65 to the 955 and the MF65 is more modern than the 800.

The 4110 is similar in design to the X55 series tractors which are built light for mostly lawn work. The 4310 and 3320 are more convention work horses. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
RMillers

2005-11-02          118822

Just one more thing to add to this. It appears that John Deere has dropped the list prices on most of thier tractors. I bought my tractor on a friday and monday they dropped the prices. When I went back and complained they offered a $1000.00 dollars additional off even though the total drop on my package was $1800.00 bringing the cost of my tractor to approx $19000.00 total. I accepted this but was not feeling so good about the whole thing. Anyway I'm still going to have fun with it. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
retcol

2005-11-03          118828

When I bought my tractor I was perplexed about John Deere or Kubota. I opted to buy a L3830. I think it is a great tractor. The problem is that based on past expereince I think Kubota is a poor company in comparison to John Deere. I think the Kubota Corporation and their dealer network need to take some lessons from John Deere for after the sale support. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
denwood

2005-11-03          118838

And sitting here as a happy JD 4300 owner, I did not think there was a company with poorer service than Deere. My local Kubota dealer is great and I have even been in touch with corporate. While they never solved the utterly poor engineering they put on the L48, they did try hard. Deere on the other hand I try to avoid as much as possible. I knew this before I bought the tractor, but it was still the best for my requirements. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-03          118839

It all depends on the dealer. Around here the Kubota guy is the worst of the worst. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-03          118841

The two Deere dealers closest to me went tits up in the last couple of years. You can't get much worse than that. You went in the office of one and would take hours to find someone to serve you. One was also the Kubota dealer, but this was immediately switched to the NH-Case dealer. The new Deere dealer opened a year later is 40 miles away rather than 20 minutes. The Case-NH-Kubota dealer is best here. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-03          118846

The only thing worse than a bad dealer who goes out of business is a bad dealer who stays in business. Bad dealers of any brand deserve to go belly up. ....

John Deere or Kubota

View my Photos
beth asher

2005-11-03          118876

You probably have your tractor by now, but I thought I'd jump in with one more piece of advice! One of the main funtions of a tractor is loading, and the Deere has the best loader. If you're a bad loader like me, and ram the pile (wham, bam, ...) then you can just leave the load match and motion match on and you'll never use that diff lock pedal. You can also control your roll-out and change that from the dash console. Also the X-loader comes off while you're sitting in the seat in less than a minute (I've done it) and the bucket is a shoe type model so other than standard buckets can be picked up easily. Also if you leave these two buttons turned on and are towing on a drawbar or dragging a rotary cutter and get into rought stuff or go uphill the tractor won't need to be range shifted --it will adjust the RPM for you and may slow down a bit but will keep right on going forward.
The frames on these buzzards are tough, pretty mighty axles. The best thing is the support Deere gives their customers-for instance parts: any parts not available locally be ordered and delivered in one day. You can view all the parts diagrams online, and owners manuals for current models. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login