Go Bottom Go Bottom

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
tnttommy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-09          113198

I posted my 2004 2210 (<50 hrs, fel, 62 deck, ballast, i-match and 72" blade: sorry for the little plug :) )on machinefinder.com and deertracs.com. Got an almost immediate response from a guy interested in the tractor. He indicated he is currently over in Lybia working for some oil drilling company and will have a colleague in TX (where he claims to be from) send me a cashiers check for the full 14k, and have a shipping agent come to my house and pick up the tractor and ship it to him in Lybia.

Just sounds too weird. Is there a market oversees for these tractors that this is legit? Has anyone heard of a scam out there based on these basic facts? Where else could I look for info to see if this is a scam?

Thanx.

Tom

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-09          113199

Sounds like a scam to me. Cashiers checks are easily forged, and 60 days after the tractor is gone they could come after you for the money. If it's legit he shouldn't have a problem wiring the money directly to you, or have his colleague pay you in cash. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-09          113204

That is a scam. The tip off is :

-the poor grammar in the message
-the immediate desire to purchase
-the offshore buyer
-the Cashiers check

The scammers agent usually provides a Cashiers check for more than the purchase price which the scammers agent asks you to pay him the difference on. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
funchy

2005-07-09          113207

Scam!!!

Tell him you'll only do it if his agent brings the full amount by in CASH (which of course he won't do).

He'll send you what *looks* like a certified check. You'll deposit it, the money won't go through, and by then the tractor will be picked up and disappeared.

This is a commons scam they've been pulling for high-dollar items, from tractors to horses to cars. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-07-11          113261

I would contact the local branch of FBI and initiate the sale and get the scumbag's buddy to come over. You then could let the FBI check him and the check out. That may get him off the street and stop them from scamming anybody else. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
kickapoobd

2005-07-11          113265

This is a scam. Africa has the highest number of counterfeit cashier's check scams. I would reply that his friend that is picking up the tractor needs to bring US Cash to your house for purchase of the tractor. I would also tell him that you are reporting him. INDONESIA, SINGAPORE, NIGERIA, LYBIA are the world leaders in the world of scam. Type "counterfeit cashier's check scam" in Google and you will see that you are describing the exact scam. Good luck finding an US buyer for your tractor. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-07-11          113267

I just won't use the internet to advertise something anymore after I got basicly the same response to an item. I just did'nt respond to whom ever the person was. I used to sell some parts on another old tractor website and got along fine, but I guess things have changed. Frank. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
tractorbuyer

2005-07-11          113270

Absolutely a scam. I get it all the time in my business. CASH money, take it to the bank its drawn upon, or use a third party escrow services for big ticket items. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-07-11          113272

I don't trust PayPal anymore either. Spammers are sending me a dozen messages a day, trying to get my info. If you get a message that looks like PayPal and says "Dear valued PayPal Member" it is a scam. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-07-11          113277

I had a similar email but US based for a rear mower deck I'm selling. I ignired it because I didn't get a warm fuzzy from them. If someone wants to use a cashier's check, tell them the terms include a $500 fee for storing the tractor for 120 days until the cashier's check has cleared and been verified. They won't go for it. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
TOM

2005-07-11          113328

THIS IS A SCAM.Do not take cash,it is probably counterfeit.Do not accept a check of any kind.Have him electronically wire the money to your account or you will get screwed. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
denwood

2005-07-12          113349

Do not take cash? Pleasssssssse. Cash is still king and if you cannot tell counterfit you must be so poor you have never seen cash. Better hang yourself from the nearest tree. If you feel a little unsure, they make a little pen to double check cash. The dollar store in my town checks all bills above a $1 !!!! but many stores check 20s or 50s and up. Wiring money leaves the long distance buyer no recourse if they get there and the item is not what was represented. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-07-12          113356

I wouldn't wire the money unless it's Western Union. If they wire directly to your account, they need your account number. I wouldn't be giving that out to a suspect scammer. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-07-12          113359

You could set up a new bank account just for this purpose. Giving that number out wouldn't risk much. I have a free account I use just for PayPal transactions, since PayPal can't be trusted. When money arrives in that account I transfer directly to my checking or savings accounts. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
jamese

2005-07-19          113674

And there is a scam going on,,BE CAREFUL ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
Murf

2005-07-20          113679

Denwood, with all due respect, the bogus bucks today are very high quality, the average person would never have any clue at all.

We were on a job down south and one of the other contractors got back to the hotel to find the Police waiting for him. He had paid for something with funny money, American funny money.

The kicker, it was cash he had gotten from his own bank just before leaving on the trip.

Luckily the bank manager(who found more funny money at the bank, but only with Governement expert help), his lawyer, and the US Federal Governement itself were able to convince the Police he wasn't a counterfitter.

Best of luck. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
denwood

2005-07-20          113682

Well 2 things pop to mind about fake money. I have also heard of it coming from the bank in a rare instance. Murf, be glad you are not the "average person" you spoke of even if you consider yourself one, I find the true average person to be slightly over brain dead, so yes they probably can't tell. The last place you would expect fake money from is your bank so your guard is way down. If it has the watermark and the metalic strip with the words "USA 20" or whatever the denomination, and the little pen makes the right color, it is so real no one will know even if it is fake. Obviously whoever the contractor paid had the minimal skill to tell it was fake quick enough to know who gave it to him and how to find him. If you are taking a payment for something you will likely be prepared to verify the money. If you can't take cash, can't take a check, can't take a money order, can't trust wiring the money, aren't we in a pickle. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
jdioa

2005-07-22          113772

This same type of scam happened at our dealership a year ago. We knew it was bogus, but played along and sure enough we got a cashiers check in the mail for $8,000 more than we were asking for. The check looked like a grade school art project, so fake. Then the sender kept calling wondering whey the extra money hadn't been wired to him. Making like we were robbing him. Obviously a foreigner because of the accent and delay in the phone. He finally gave up calling and then emailed a voodoo curse on our dealership. That's the last we heard from him. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-07-24          113860

Don't let that Curse scare you! It's about the same thing when the preacher looks at the man and says "I now pronounce you man and wife!" ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-07-24          113865

Sorry Jonsie. I don't think so. Next month will be the 32nd aniversary with my first wife. No, wait.... she is my only wife.

Hope you were joking............. ....

tractor sale scam

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-07-25          113867

Yep, it was a joke. I'll celebrate my 55th this November,and still going!
Jonesie ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login