Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4710 Tilt Wheel Release Problem

View my Photos
marchessaultb
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-08          113177

I currently own a JD 4710, I just had it serviced and one of the items I had fixed is the tilt wheel feature, I've had it home for a couple of days now, I'm having trouble with the mechanism already. The mechanism deos not release very well, actually works very very poor. My dealer thinks I'm abusing the tractor but when they serviced unit the mechanic commented on the immaculate condition. I would like to know if anyone else is having this trouble before I have the dealer replace the whole mechanism. That's what the 3 year warranty is for I assume. thanks

Brian

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-08          113178

The tilt mechanism on the 10 series is a known trouble spot. I had to have the one on my 4310 fixed at less than 100 hours. The dealer reworked it and it's been fine since. Not sure if there's a JD sanctioned repair or if they rolled their own though. ....

View my Photos
MiikeJD

2005-07-09          113208

I have a 4210 and after the first year of use I experienced the same trouble. The dealer told me that they were having lots of problems. They cleaned it and relubed it and it has been ok since. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-09          113218

The tilt steering on these tractors is DEFINITELY el cheapo and a REALLY laughable and crappy design. Dust and dirt gets in the release mechanism and makes it difficult to release and adjust, not to mention the flimsy design and construction. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-07-11          113279

It's not you. I had a friend that works at Deere look at the warranty info before I bought my 4310. The gas gauge and the tilt steering mechanism were the highest warrantied items. They were done on the cheap and the warranty claims prove it. ....

View my Photos
mainetreeman

2005-07-26          113923

I have a 2002 JD 4710... Tilt steering release lever sticks badly and the gas cap fits loosely in certain weather conditions. Other than that Haven't had any trouble with the tractor... I don't tilt the wheel that often so I haven't bothered to have it fixed... ....

View my Photos
MacDaddy

2005-07-27          113960

I have a 4310 with about 25 hours on it. I am having the same problem. The dealer told me before I bought it that the mechanism was junk... But its my only complaint. Otherwise, a great machine. ....

View my Photos
jasonw

2005-08-20          115150

I also have a JD 4710 and began having tilt wheel problems at 100 hours. Dealer charged me to have it fixed and the fix didn't last long. Clearly this is a design flaw. I've also had problems with the electrical wiring for the hydrostatic transmission getting pulled loose from under the tractor when going over brush or high grass. Seems these wires should have been routed differently or placed in a conduit to prevent the connections from pulling loose. The lens fogs easily in the high humidity. Otherwise, starts and runs like a Deere. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-08-20          115158

I agree that the wiring isn't well protected, but Deere sells a "Rental Upgrade Kit" that includes skid plates the do a good job of protecting the underside of the tractor. Also, the instrument lense fogging is a known problem and they have released a new instrument panel lense that has a different coating on the inside to prevent it. I had my 4310 done under warranty and the new lense does not fog. You might see if your dealer will make you a deal on it. It took the tech about 5 minutes to change it so it can't be a hard job. You just want to be sure not to touch the inside of the new lense and get fingerprints on the new coating. ....

View my Photos
Brian Marchessault

2005-08-20          115160

thanks for the inputs, I would like to know if anyone has taken the initive and tore the tilt wheel apart? I'm planning on taking the mechanism apart to see if there is a possible modification. I've experienced a few problems that concern me, 1st my front end has sprung a small leak on the right side, 2nd the main arm for the FEL on the right side seems to be loose. I plan on bringing it back to the dealer in the fall. 3 items I had the dealer repair in the spring are down for repair again which bothers me. any thoughts? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-08-20          115163

The new 20 series has a new tilt wheel mechanism. Maybe it would fit on the 10 series machines. I probably wouldn't bother on mine since I never adjust the wheel anyway. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-08-20          115164

Brian, it's not uncommon for bolts to loosen up on any machine. Are you going around and tightening up bolts on a regular basis? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login