Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD4100 Mower deck lift arm lock kit

View my Photos
Larry
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-12-19          11276

Some time back there was a message on this board where someone mentioned an option for the 4100 that allowed the mower deck lift arms to remain in the raised position while using the 3pt. Does anyone know what this add on is called and how much it costs? It seems like a good idea to me because every time I use a 3pt implement in the lowered position the mower deck arms drag in the dirt. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
MW

1999-12-19          11278

The kit is called a mower lockout/latch kit and I believe that it runs some where between $60-$70. ....

View my Photos
Larry

1999-12-19          11279

Thanks MW for the speedy reply. I'll pick one up next time I am near a JD dealership. ....

View my Photos
Jack in iL

1999-12-19          11282

The Lift Latch Kit for 4100s has part number BM19507. It most likely will have to be ordered. Not a stock item. Works great. ....

View my Photos
Larry

1999-12-19          11285

Thanks Jack in Il. I will keep the part number handy just in case the dealer has another brain fart like he did with the air filter mess. If you are still watching the JD4100 smoke issue, I hope to have an answer to the glowplug question by tomorrow or the next day. ....

View my Photos
Scott

1999-12-19          11300

I forget now who it was that suggested this to me, but instead of the lift kit, I just use a couple of turnbuckles and carabiners from the link arms to the holes in the frame (above where the linkarms ride on the 3pth) and it works great. And without the mower deck on (in fall or winter), just two pieces of rope do the same job. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-12-20          11314

Larry,
The suggestion(s) was most likely from me, although I cannot take the credit, my dealer was the person who suggested it. Based upon your post, sounds like you don't have the belly mower installed. In this case, the cheapest,best fix for holding the arms is to use a black rubber tarp,bungie strap (what ever you call them in your area). This works incredibly well for holding the arms in the highest position possible. even better than the $70 JD kit. Naturally, you want to attach the straps S hooks to the metal floor board supports and not the Hydraulic Lines. Secondly, don't expect a rubber strap to hold em with the mower attached. As for support with a mower.. You will need 4 hefty eye bolts, (threaded bolt with eye loop on the end). 2 attach to the mower lift arms brackets, which sit on top of the 3pt arms. The other 2 should be installed in the holes, located in the fender area..directly above the 3pt arms. Then..attach 1 turn buckle to each set of eye loops (QTY=2)...Two tips: measure the distance between the eye loops in the fully raised position. Then buy small turnbuckles which have to be at least 50% unscrewed to link the two eye bolts together. I didn't do this, and ended up buying buckles that were to big. Essentially they tight, yet the links were not held in the lifted position. And lastly, measure the diameter of the hole (2 attachment areas). Buy the largest eye bolts that will fit. The weight put on those eye bolts will be magnified by vibration and jolts during use. ....

View my Photos
Larry

1999-12-20          11327

Thanks Scott and MLS. I had been thinking about the bungie cord or rope type system. Just wasn't sure it would work. I never leave the deck on while using the 3 pt so anything more substantial will be unnecessary. After reading MLS post about the bungie strap I remembered that my tractor came with an annoying bungie strap hooked between the two lift links on the 3pt. It looks like it is the perfect length to do the job MLS suggested. Perhaps someone was thinking of this situation and forgot to mention it to the customer. ....

View my Photos
Randy

1999-12-21          11346

On my 755 I just crank the cutting heigth all the way up. The mower still drops a small amount. Does your's not have this adjustment??

Randy ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-12-21          11350

Randy,
Not sure exactly what you mean, but the 4100 uses a floating type deck. Meaning that it rides independently on four wheels. Each wheel shaft requires adjusting, to alter mowing height. Unlike others which are height supported and use wheels or roller to reduce scalping, and generally use a dial or lever to perform this function. ....

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-12-21          11353

The 4100 does not have the deck height adjustment crank and lock up on the floor of the operators platform as previous model tractors such as the 755, 855, and 955 had. ....

View my Photos
Larry

1999-12-21          11365

On the 4100 the mower height is set by an adjustable stop nut that the 3pt height adjustment lever rests against. It is great for easy deck height adjustment but not much good for keeping the lift arms out of the dirt. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-12-21          11366

Larry,
The little knob on the 3pt height lever is supposed to be positioned with only enough play to allow the mower to float, but also keep the lift arms out of the dirt. This knob is not designed to adjust mowing height. You accomplish this by adjusting the pin/hole location depth settings on each of the 4 wheel shafts, located on each corner of the mower. You'll be much happier with its performance if you use it this way. Can't believe you were happy with its performance if you were basing height off of the knob setting. ....

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-12-21          11368

Although you could probably let the mower weight be carried entirely on the gauge wheels, that is not the recommendation in the mower operators manual. It says the mower height should be determined by the depth stop on the 3 point hitch control handle. The gauge wheels should be adjusted so that on a level surface (say a flat slab of concrete) they clear by about 1/4 to 1/2 inches. The gauge wheels are positioned at the 4 corners of the deck and they along with the 2 rollers under the deck serve to lift it up over uneven terrain and obstacles. The wheels do turn in the grass due to the friction, but they are only occasionally carrying any significant weight. ....

View my Photos
Larry

1999-12-21          11369

Thanks Jack in Il. You saved me a lot of typing. MLS, did you get a manual with your mower deck?? When I mentioned the lift arms digging in the dirt I was talking about when the mower deck is off and using a 3pt impliment in the fully lowered positon, such as a tiller. Sorry MLS but I may have to tell bo about this post. Just rattling your cage a little. For all I know maybe your deck is a floating type. My deck is the JD 60" belly deck. ....

View my Photos
roy

1999-12-22          11384

I'm not sure of the setup a 4100 has but on my Kubota the belly mower is lifted by a linkage that runs back to the 3pt hitch then over the arms to lift the deck. I put a couple of springs between the belly mower lift arms and the floor boards on the tractor this holds the link arms up when the mower deck is off and when the mower deck is on it keeps the chain between the linkarms and mower deck tight. I had problems with the linkarms actually lowering so much when I tried to cut a ditch that they would get trapped against the mower deck and lift the tractor rear end off the ground!.The Kubota uses a small bracket from the deck float arms tothe mounting point on the tractor to keep the deck up when the you want to only use the 3pt hitch. You just remove a pin slide the bracket over the tractor mount point and you have a solid link between the deck and the tractor to hold the deck up.

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-12-22          11388

Jack n' Larry,
It embarrassing to tell someone who's doing it right that he's doin it wrong.
The person I'm worried about you telling is my little lady..It starts the whole MAN vs. Direction/manual reading conversation. To be truthful, I didn't read Mower manual. shhh... The 4100 mower Looks almost Identical to an another mower I had...SO..I used it like that one...Pretty dumb I guess.. Thanks for the tip..It probably safe to say that you will have saved me a bit of money in eventual repairs or something. I did manage to read the other manuals. ....

View my Photos
Larry

1999-12-22          11402

MLS, now that you have properly confessed to your disgression, I promise not to tell Bo or Mrs. MLS. Have a great holiday. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login