dexndor
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-24          112717

What is the smallest JD that would handle these jobs,
tilling using a 7ft howard tiller and a small round baler
in the future with a backhoe to remove 6 to 10 inch trees
being popal and some oak?
Hmmm comparing JD and Kubota's with the bota being a
57 hp I believe the largest of the L series.
We have 50 acres mostly wooded at present and are raising
mini cattle and sheep. I need to make pasture ...
Thanks for suggestions.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD for clearing trees for pasture and possible haying

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-24          112719

My guess is a 48HP unit (JD4710)would run a 7 ft. tiller quite well and handle the other tasks with ease. You would be able to get things done with a smaller tractor but taking more time. Since you are from Michigan, look at the Auto & RV paper. You also can go to autorv.com. I saw a couple used 4710's listed in there. If you search under "John Deere" quite of number of others come up. I think some had back-hoes also. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-24          112720

I was also looking at a used Case New Holland this A.M. It was a 45HP unit DX45 with loader. It is a 2003 model with 527 hours. If you are interested, I can give you the dealer's name. Don't know where in Michigan you're from. I can't decide on what I want. I like my unit but am thinking of going slightly newer and cannot, not only decide on color but am having more trouble with size. ....

View my Photos
dexndor

2005-06-24          112723

Thanks but hubby is set on green or orange, Thanks Tho... ....

View my Photos
dexndor

2005-06-24          112724

Hi Pete,
Let me guess the U.P. Yooper!!
I looked in the trader and the 4710 was in the thumb
didn't list the yr but 24,500. hmmmm might as well go new for warranty and finance??
Hmmmmmm...ponder ponder

View my Photos
funchy

2005-06-24          112731

I've pulled out stumps that size with my kubota bx23. Enough time & patience and my bx23 can dig out (almost) anything. Part of the equation is how fast do you need to clear the land? If you need acres & acres cleared, might just be easier to pay someone to doze the stumps out.

For hay, definitely look at the larger hp tractors. I can actually find a small baler rated for CUT tractors, but they're so costly & hard to find used ... you're better off putting your money into a bigger tractor and get a standard size used baler. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-24          112733

Running a round bailer takes more than 45 hp. Most folks around my ranch run around 65 to 70 hp. It may seem a bit on the large side at first but I think you fill ultimately find that a 5000 series Deere machine in this range will be needed. For the money spent; if the fancy bells and whistles are not important; I would suggest looking at a Deere 6403 or 6603. My preference would be for the 6603 which comes with the 414 inline 6 cylinder Deere diesel at 109 hp. The 6403 at 98 hp. I am currently dealing with several hundred acres of long neglected pastures and any but a commercial heavy duty rotary cutter will get torn apart. I have already seen a BushHog 84 inch Squealer and a Rhino SE6 take a beating and serious damage. A heavy duty 6 or 7 ft. rotary cutter will weigh in around 1,100 to 1,800 lbs. or more; WAY too much for a 4710. You will also need to be able to move the round bales you make. They laugh at my 4410 and the International 464 my neighbor uses has a tough time with them and he bales small round bales. They weigh in around 1,500 lbs. He also uses an International 784 to run the round baler. The 464 is just not up to it.

You can get by with less tractor but I think in your case you will be VERY satisfied with the Deere 6003 series tractors. Deere even has a special offer of $26,990 for the 98 hp 6403. That is a huge bargain when compared to the 5020 or 5025 series machines. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-24          112734

Another option I missed mentioning was a Deere 5303. That will get you 65 hp but no 4WD is available. I think you could do well without 4WD but that is up to individual preference.

I noted that you are holding out for "Green Paint" Green is good but not always the best buy. I STRONGLY suggest that you consider a Kioti DK65S. They come with a Perkins diesel, cab, heat, A/C, 4WD, FEL, rotary cutter, and a PHD for about $35,000. Probably the best buy on the market in my opinion. I like Deere but for that price, I would be REAL happy sitting on orange paint. Kioti's are very reliable and solid machines. The same or similar hp tractor in "Green Paint" with similar attachments and implements is going to cost you near double. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-24          112735

Try playing with some different configurations on the need selector and see what you come up with. ....

Link:   Deere Needs Analyzer

View my Photos
oldrental

2005-06-25          112741

New Holland makes a BR730 round bailer that requires a minimum of 40hp. As far as stumps go almost anything will work if you do it right. Remember that vast majority of the country was cleared with a horse. There is a good web site that will show you how.

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/device/devicesToC.html#contents ....

View my Photos
dexndor

2005-06-25          112750

Thanks for suggestions and tips, some posted more then I
could read, darn, double darn I sound like I know what I
am talking about when I tell hubby some of the suggestions you all are appreciated.
What do I have to do to become a member, I don't see where
it said how much to join.
Thanks.... ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-25          112752

Looks like a great reason to join up. It costs $20 a year and is WELL worth it in my opinion. Lots of knowledge, experience, and ability to think outside the box here. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-25          112753

If you would like, I can email you what you could not read. I think if you buy a tractor, that will mark the beginning of MANY questions you and your husband will be asking; further underscoring a great reason to join Tractor Point. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-25          112754

Sorry! I almost forgot! You can sign up here: ....

Link:   Join Tractor Point

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-06-28          112872

dexndor:

Yes my handle is Yooper but I don't live there, wish I did! I'm from mid-Michigan and have property up North.

As was stated, a 48HP tractor may be on the low limit if you are running a round baler. Not nowing what region of Michigan you are from but the thumb and central Michigan are good spots to find used farm equipment. You should be able to find a nice used JD in the 60-90 HP range with decent hours. ....

View my Photos
dexndor

2005-06-28          112875

I found a jd 60 hp pto 5400 with new frt tires, new loader bucket and cab 4wd with 1000 hrs either 94 or 95 for
19500.00 Is that reasonable to pay for a 10 yr old tractor.
Oh it had a new clutch last winter as well.
Mid Michigan, great soil in your area.
I am near Traverse City.
Any thoughts on reliability in this 5400?
Trying to decide on this one or a new 5103 50hp.
But the price is 5000.00 more and it looks a bit
handier getting around in the smaller area's. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-06-28          112880

I would go for the new tractor. Personal preference but the 10 HP difference is not worth worrying about whether you should have bought new at a later date. I have only ever had a 32 HP tractor so take my advice for what little it is worth. ....

View my Photos
dexndor

2005-06-28          112889

We are leaning new as the differenc in price is justified
with warranty and longer finance options.
We are considering adding a back hoe to the package as
we have some water lines and stumping to do.Tired of renting
and rushing to get the most bang for the buck. More
convenient and I have heard the back hoes hold their
value fairly well. Now deciding on custom fit or 3 point
hoe. advide appreciated, ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-28          112890

If you decide to go with other than a Deere hoe; be sure you get a hoe equipped with a subframe. I 3 pt. hitch mounted hoes is not a good idea, nor will it be trouble free. ....

View my Photos
oldrental

2005-06-29          112892

Take a look at your tractor, it does not have a frame. Real backhoes have frames and there is a reason for that. Impact loads have been known to crack tractors where they flex, bell housings. If you are going to spend that kind on money do it right or rent. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-06-29          112895

Allot of farmers are still using their JD's from the 60's and have them out in the fields almost everyday. However, they usually don't have them as primary units.

My point is when maintained they can last a long, long time. It sounds like you realize that a slightly smaller, shorter tractor maneuvers easier. Likewise, I'm not sure if Deere has a good sales promotion going on now with attractive interest rates. Out of season is generally a better time to get the best deals with rebates and 0%.

Chances are, going new will be the best alternative if you are willing to spend a little more but getting a hoe with it may be easier. In years to come if your needs change, it will be easier to sell it. Suggest getting it plumbed at the rear right away even if you don't purchase a hoe immediately.

P.S. I'm on the sunrise side of the State in Tawas and Oscoda. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login