Go Bottom Go Bottom

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
jd60kid
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-04-05          109456

Hello all,Lookin at a 5103
I want to do some light loader work but mostly brushogging
I drove a 5103 and absolutely loved it. The enormous ammt. of power the easy transmission, and the size, WOW that is big tractor. Im a big guy and that tractor's hood was at my chest. So any info would be greatly apreeciated. Such as can you do light loader work w/ a 2wd?

P.S. I dont have a premium account so if you could plese make the messages short or e-mail me at RONSTATERSALAD@aol.com

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-06          109489

I talked with a guy who had worked on these machines for Deere. He highly recommended them as durable machines over what I bought. I was sorely tempted, but it didn't quite fit my needs. Do you live in an area with snow? They don't have the MFWD. ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
jd60kid

2005-04-06          109501

Iowafun,
The farm is in callaway county missouri.Just east of Jefferson City and Columbia. And about snow there arent really that many times over the winter when we couldnt get around w/ my 1956 john deere model 60. I'd say the most we get is maybe a couple feet a year, the past few years.The soil up there is kinda sandy so it melts and dries up rather quickly. Most of the time its snow on top and then mud underneath. ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-06          109522

In that case, I think you will be just fine with the tractor. Down right happy, actually. ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
jd60kid

2005-04-06          109527

Thanks,
If anyone has any onfo on troubles w/ the 5103 please let me know...

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
jd60kid

2005-04-06          109528

Thanks,

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
jd60kid

2005-04-06          109529

Thanks,

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
jdgreen

2005-04-08          109603

I don't know of any problems, but I just wanted to say to be sure and get enough rear ballast on your tractor. I would recommend filling the rear tires and possibly some wheel weights or a ballst box as well. With a loader on 2wd you need more weight on the rear when compared to a 4wd. ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
JDDoug

2005-04-13          109797

You might not here of any problems for years on the 5X03 tractors. There are built to last, and don't alot of electronics to screw things up. A very simple, and sturdy design that reminds me of an older style of tractor, but in a modern shell. ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-04-14          109832

I agree. I was really, really torn. But I ended up with a 4310 because the wife can drive a hydrostat and may need to clear snow if I'm out of town. Otherwise, I may have wound up with a 5105 with MFWD. I can't tell you how badly I was pulled toward that tractor... ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
jd60kid

2005-04-14          109839

I was thinking that they kinda resemble the 4010 and the 20 series as well.The 5103's dash is damn near identical to the 4010's.Just a little interesting peice of info. ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
barryinmn

2005-04-14          109849

A neighbor traded 2 troubled NH computer tractors before switching to green w/a 6603 & loves it! Add weight the the rear & loader will be fine. We cleared snow with a 2wd TLB for 20+ years. ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
Redman

2005-05-18          111221

My brother is the engineer that designed this series. They are made in India, are simple but tough. I can hook you up with him if interested.
Redman ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-05-28          111661

Made in India? WOW , OK.
Dont sell yourself short and cheap out on the 2wd. Sure you may not have snow issues but IMO snow is the least of your worries when your talking 4wd. You mentioned sand and sloppy conditions??? Sounds like a perfect candidate for 4wd. I started out looking at 2wd rigs. Was looking at a 55hp 2wd for the same money as my 40hp 4wd. I was told by many folks especially my logging buddys NOT to cheap out and to get 4wd hands down! As it turns out, I would of been burried atleast 5 times last year with out it. It only will take ONE time you get her stuck and you will be kicking yourself. This is not a road truck that need 4wd on ocasion, you are in the muck and the muc and the sand often year round. Buy yourself the 4 wd. Just my 2cents worth. ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
tomttomtom

2005-06-01          111813

Hi,
We've had our JD5103 for little over a year now and have had not troubles whats so ever! Like others have said time will tell. I just finished the 100hr service. My oil plug was on there really tight. Ended up having to use a pipe wrench to get it off!!! Add weight and you be glad and happy with the tractor...

T ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
Jeff

2005-10-14          117895

I bought the 5103 tractor. I looked around at all other makes models and kept coming back to this one. I don't regret it. I live in Eastern Canada with alot of snow. I also bought a good set of chains and I was never in a place where I wished i had bought a fwd. Damn fine tractor for any use..... ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
tomttomtom

2005-10-18          118094

Hey,
I've had mine about a year now and love it!!! One thing that comes to mind is that all the nut and bolt sizes are metric. The 5103 tractors are assembled in India. ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
gmsumsion

2005-10-24          118394

I am thinking about the 5103, possibly the 5203, or the 5X05 with the MFWD. You had asked jd60kid if he lives where there's a lot of snow? My place is in the mountains of Utah, and we sometimes get a fair bit of snow. How much snow do you think the 2WD can handle vs. the 4WD? ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-25          118399

Regardless of where you live in my opinion if you are going to do FEL work; get 4WD. My neighbor bought a new 5420 with a FEL which he loves but sorely regrets NOT getting 4WD. It is a very expensive option but greatly worth it. The 4WD not only gives you better traction in snow but more importantly gives much greater traction when digging the FEL bucket in as well as much more control and stability on slopes. A side benefit is a lot more counter weight up front for rotary cutter work too. You can get buy without 4WD but I think will wish you had gotten it in the end. ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-25          118405

Almost all of us have started to dig into a pile and wondered what was wrong, looked down and noticed it was not in 4WD. Yes it makes that much difference. With all wheels driving you need less horse power. ....

Any info on Deere 5103

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-10-25          118409

After using a 2wd Oliver for a couple of winters and some summer dirt work, 4wd was mandatory for the new tractor. You just can't beat that extra piece of traction when you need. It sure beats rocking the tractor side to side for traction or dumping your load and taking a smaller bite because the rear tires spin in the wet grass. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login