Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4310 purchase - Loaded Tires or not

View my Photos
MacDaddy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-27          108836

Happy Easter all. I am in the final stage of negotiating on a JD-4310. The package that I have speced includes the following:

Tractor: JD-4310 w/ehydro tranny
r4-tires & chains
third valve
power beyond kit
block heater

Loader: JD-300CX (new version of the 430)

BackHoe: JD-447 (the new version of the #47) w/ 13" bucket

Snowblower: 60" Agrotrend

Box Scraper: 60" Frontier BB1060

I am wondering if loaded tires necessary since I will almost always have an implement on the back. Salesguy says I should definitely get them, but I am concerned that the added weight will give me problems in wet areas (which I have a lot of). Any other comments or suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-27          108837

McDaddy; There have been lots of discussions on loaded tires. I myself don't like them because of past experience with fixing flats with fluid involved. Do you need them? Without an impliment or some other form of weight on the three pt. or wheel weights you should have something to counterballance the loader. Check some of the past threads on loaded tires, you'll get lots of opinions. Looking at your list of options, the one I think everyone should consider is the rear view mirror kit, they really help out. Frank. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-27          108843

Don't forget the rear worklight and folding rops if they are not standard on that model. I would also find out if they can put a universal quick tach on right from the factory and not the silly JD only quich attach. I have filled tires and really enjoy the weight. I was stuck with calcium since I bought used and would never have used that but there are other fluids. I need nothing on the back to get almost total lift capacity and feel stable as well as better traction. I run as much as possible in 2wd and it does well. An implement is unlikely to achieve the weight fluid gets you. As far as squishing the ground with extra weight. Not an issue and I live on a hill of springs. The real weight is on the front axle (engine, loader, load)which has the tiny tires with high psi ground pressure and picking up anything only makes it worse. (that is just part of the poor American design.) Adding more weight to the back tires will not change the weight on the front tires until the point is reached where the rear tires would lift off the ground if they had no weight added. At that point without weight you will not go anywhere anyway. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-27          108844

IIRC the JD manual ballast tables don't give an option of NOT using loaded tires with a loader. It's always loaded tires with a ballast box or implement.

Denwood, I don't know what you mean by a JD Only quick attach or a Universal quick attach. There is always an implement somewhere that won't work with a quick attach, and even the so called universal models require modifications sometimes. The JD I-Match is made and sold by another company, it's just painted green by JD. I-Match is less flexible than those that have top hooks that are adjustable up/down and in/out, but sometimes the top hooks are too big to even fit under an implements top pin or too short to reach a set-back top pin of an implement (like a Jinma chipper). ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-03-27          108846

I purchased my tractor without loaded tires.
Even with an implements on the rear tires were always coming off the ground when doing loader work. Loader work on uneven ground was even worse.
I loaded my rears with windshield washer fluid (around 80 gallons total) and the differance was huge. Much, much more stable doing loader work, especially on uneven ground.
I vote load the tires.. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-27          108848

When I said quick tach, I meant on the loader. While I applaud JD for having a QT standard on all loaders for many years, I despise their arrogance for using some ridiculous design that allows the implement to jiggle around and ONLY fits attachments specifically designed for JD. The universal has wedge shaped pins that automatically compensate and give a tight fit each time as it wears or has some play. It allows you to go to any auction, sale, dealer and buy an attachment for the loader at 1/2 the price that JD wants for some of their own. Just look at simple forks. The JDs are junk with a poor design and a $900 price. A set off a skid loader are $500 new and all over the market used. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-03-27          108850

Denwood, sorry, my misunderstanding. The two loader attachments I have work great with the JD QH and only the bucket is JD. JD is big enough that most manufacturers make stuff to fit it but there's always a price premium to pay. They do sell the QH plates that can be welded onto other brands of implements. I may look into that since I want some pallet forks and can't bring myself to pay $8-900 for a set. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-27          108853

I agree, that is why I built my own forks(see my pics). It would not be nearly so bad if the forks JD makes were even close to par with what else is out there. I ran into the same problem with my Kubota r520. It has power quick attach but only fit Kubota stuff, even rarer than JD stuff. They wanted around 1200 or more for their forks that I did not like so I bought the universal adapter for 500 and forks for 600. Now I can use any skid loader attachment as well as my factory Kubota bucket. Since I have no other attachments for it now, I leave the adapter in the forks and power quick tach between the bucket and forks. The drawback of most adapters is they put the implement farther away, add weight, and reduce lifting capacity. It actually did not for the Kubota due to the poor Kub. forks that were already far out. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-03-27          108854

Those forks look great. Looks like something I'd like to fabricate, but I sure can't laugh at your welds since I don't weld at all. Another one of those "some day" things to learn. ....

View my Photos
Ardician

2005-03-27          108864

My tires are loaded with just water. I have been very satisfied with the ballast they provide. I am about due for my fifty-hour service, so should I ask the dealer to put something else in the tires, or is plain water ok? ....

View my Photos
plots1

2005-03-27          108868

My vote goes to the loaded tires, very stable for loader work. Even though JD calls for loaded tires and 3 point weight added I can lift full buckets with just the loaded tires without a problem VERY STABLE.

View my Photos
danputtputt

2005-03-27          108876

Add my vote, like the loaded tires. No complaints here. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-27          108877

In Alabama water may be just fine. If you have days where the average temp is below 32 for the whole day, or several days, you may want to add something. For any damage to possibly happen, the water would have to freeze a good bit, not just slush or a little layer. ....

View my Photos
Ardician

2005-03-27          108884

Freezing is not a problem here. Rarely ever remains below 32 degrees for a whole day. I thought there may be other reasons to add something else to the fill...like maybe to increase the weight or protect against corrosion. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-28          108907

Adding calcium chloride will add extra weight but it increases corrosion 100 fold if there is a leak or it isn't full enough. Just look at a car from upstate NY or another salty winter state. ....

View my Photos
MacDaddy

2005-03-28          108910

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go with the loaded tires. What options do I have other than CaCl? Here in western NY its below freezing almost all winter.

Also thanks for the suggestion about the rear-view mirror and light. I overlooked that, and I know they will be needed. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-03-28          108915

Besides CaCl, other options are Rim Guard (made from beet juice it's non-toxic and non-corrosive and not available in all areas) and windshield washer fluid. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-28          108918

I am one of the guys who doesn't like fluid filled tires, but after some reflection, my bias is based mainly of the size of the tire.

My 4115 rear tires hold about 120 pounds of fluid and once filled are very hard for one guy to manage.

I think a 4310 has a rear tire large enough that you might not change it yourself even if it was filled only with air.

Also, I can easily bolt as much weight or more onto the wheel as I can achieve with fluid. Once your tires get beyond about 35 inches tall, that becomes harder and harder to do.

Anyway your usual options for colder climates are Calcium chloride, Rim guard (a slurry made from beets that is safer for the rims and the ground in case of leaks), a couple types of antifreeze(RV and automotive)and windshield washer fluid.

I personally would choose the Rim Guard if you can find it, followed by the calcium if it is done right, and leave the others alone. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2005-03-28          108919

calcium will add the most weight and I believe it is cheaper than other fluids. If you go with calcium just use a tube and you won't have to worry about corrision problem.I believe most dealers using calcium do use tubes now anyway . ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-03-28          108926

I have rears loaded with CA on the MF135. I had to replace one rear rim since it rusted through. Think the tractor is a 1977 model and replaced it in 2000. Turned out that the tube was folded and pinched near the valvestem. I wouldn't worry about the use of it, even if it is improperly assembled like mine it lasted 23 years. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-28          108943

I don't believe in the tube for fluid. A locust thorn, nail, or other lovely hole is bad enough with fluid but at least you can put the leak up and plug the tire. With a tube it is a disaster. Any one who has had a long stretch of good luck with a tube has lucked out of a leak. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login