Go Bottom Go Bottom

Securing a tractor

View my Photos
Toller
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-03          107200

What is a reasonable way to secure a tractor that must remain out of doors. There have been a couple of thefts in our area and I'd like ideas on what I can do to reduce my risk.

Eric

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Securing a tractor

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-03          107206

Get a good insurance policy. See if you can get what is called replacement insurance, a tractor may be too large and item? We have it but I don't know if my tractor qualifies. They buy you a new one without figuring depreciation. Maybe you could put a secret switch in the fuel shutoff solenoid wire. Cutting off the starter is easier to bypass with a screwdriver but could slow a thief down or make him think the battery is dead. ....

Securing a tractor

View my Photos
taheide

2005-03-03          107209

Wedge the bucket in such a way that the tractor cannot be moved and then remove the handle for the FEL. ....

Securing a tractor

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-03-03          107220

If it is a CUT, buy yourself a small shed...you can get one for less than an insurance deductable would be...it will also keep it looking/performing better. If it is a full size tractor, a BIG german shepard chained to the 3PH...have my doubts if anyone will steal it then. Seriously, you could maybe block it in between a tree (or something else immovable) and your pick-up. Hope something works for you. ....

Securing a tractor

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-04          107231

Keep it parked where someone with a rollback cannot back up and winch it on. As Denwood said put in additional or use your fuel cut off valve. A heavy chain thru the steering wheel to the loader will also help deter.

If someone wants it, it is gone no matter what precautions you take. However making it more diffcult by limiting approaches and mobility may cause the thief to look elsewhere for easier pickins. ....

Securing a tractor

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-04          107243

We have this problem constantly with our machines left on customer's sites.

When we need to leave just a single machine, such as for winter snow contracts, we use shipping containers. They are available in a variety of sizes, the ones we use are 8' wide by 20' long and 9.5' high. In the shipping industry they are called "20' high cube" containers. Ours are aluminum, we bought several 'retired' ones for $500 a piece. They are easily moved by a 5 ton tilt'n'load, or crane truck.

We have found that merely keeping something out of sight goes a long way to deter most people, they won't risk breaking in if they don't know what in there.

We also have them equipped with cheap car alarms that run off the a battery and battery charger for the machine that is built in to each container. An extension cord keeps everything ready to go.

Best of luck. ....

Securing a tractor

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-03-04          107253

We haven't had any trouble yet, maybe just luck. I do try to park things out of sight or in a shed if available. I've heard more about vandalisim than theft locally. Sometimes just tire valve cores pulled, but there have also been some spray paint incidents. Frank. ....

Securing a tractor

View my Photos
jd2210

2005-03-04          107254

Insurance is certainly a consideration, but you might just reach under the hood and pull a fuse (the smaller Deeres are on the firewall, looks like a four pack, and pull the starter one). I think after trying to push it home they will give by the time you wake up the following morning. ....

Securing a tractor

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-03-13          107943

I like the shipping container approach. If it's long enough you could put a workshop in there too. That, and car alarm or even a motorcycle alarm. Just be sure it has its own battery that cannot be disconnected easily. Some of the newer technology uses a cellphone to call you and the police if there is an intruder. But they cost as much as a good insurance policy. Around here the first thing an insurance agent asks is: "Is the area fenced in? No fence = higher premium. ....

Securing a tractor

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-16          108152

One of these days soon there will be a homing device for cheap and you will be able to hide it so you can track down where your rig was stole too. (maybe there is one now out there?) Other than that. While my tractor is still being paid for (IE: under a loan) I have purchased a policy that my dealer highly recomended. Its not cheap but not too expensive either. $10 a month. It gets automatically deducted from my loans monthy payment. It covers everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can imagine and replaces it with a "brand new" rig or what I paid originally for it, (which ever is cheaper) Also incase you are not imagining LARGE enough when I said everything! If I drive it into a lake, it is replaced. If I crash it down a revine and it is totalled. It is replaced. if a tree falls on it, if its stolen, if its in a fire, if I screw up in any way! It is replaced or repaired (if not totaled). I have a 100 dollar deductable.
I had the choice of just a fire and theft policy for about $7 a month or this one for $10. I think its a no brainer. Hope this helps.

Securing a tractor

View my Photos
kickapoobd

2005-03-16          108156

I think I have found the product that will find your tractor, if it is stolen. This company will let you track your car from the internet for .25 cents per ping (each time you ask were the vehical is located. No Monthly fees!
Link to the article about the cheap way to find you car (tractor).
http://www.techworthy.com/Blog/New-GPS-System-Nabs-Car-Thieves.htm

Troy ....

Securing a tractor

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-18          108214

Good job on finding that. I knew I read (I think on clark howards web sight) that a company was coming out with a cheap system. That is perfect for absentee land owners. You can check where your rig is once a week from home and it will cost you $1 a month. Good cheap piece of mind. ....

Securing a tractor

View my Photos
Toller

2005-03-22          108516

Thanks for all the responses. They offer a range ot options and I appreciate it.

I have been looking at the tractor from the standpoint of designing in a theft protection device. My thought was a mechanism that shot two hardened pins out from the side of the case through the slots in the wheels. Then I had to figure out a way to make certain the slots were lined up with the pins and decided on spring-loading the pins so that once engaged, the pin would shoot into the slot when it was next in line. This thing got wilder and wilder. I guess partly because years and years ago I had some contact with the Deere experimental farm in Dubuque and know that they'd try anything once.

Anyway, the idea of a chain through the same wheel slot and then around a loader post may be the simplest. I may also look at this anti-car-theft device called the club.

Thanks again.

Eric ....

Securing a tractor

View my Photos
tekts9

2005-09-29          117130

What is your insurance co name & number? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login