Go Bottom Go Bottom

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
bmeyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-22          104734

I purchased a snowblower for my 2210. It is a single stage - I had ggo luck with this style in the past and don't really have enough to justify the 2-stage.

The unit performs well - took on nearly a foot of new stuff in Central Wisconsin today with ease (even did the neighbors drives!). BUT, when engaged it seems like it very noisy. Is this normal with JD SB? Anyone that can compare 1-stage vs. 2-stage on noise?

I've checked grease zerks - OK. And, the chain is tight. Maybe that's just the way it runs.

Any advice.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-22          104739

What type of noise? Is it a rotating noise from the auger? ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-01-23          104752

Art,

Yes, it is a rotating noise, mostly from the auger I believe. However, I'm sure the PTO shaft is contributing, too. the 2210 shaft uses several universal joints to get the power from under the driver's seat, under the front axle then to the blower. Can these be noisy??

Not having "heard" another unit, mine might just be normal.

I know my old walk-behinds had a lot of engine noise at full throttle, but I don't recall auger noise. My 23 HP Simplicity used to be noisy but it was belt driven and the engine was louder.

The noise is muffled a bit when I get full chute of snow, thus my thought that it is in the auger mostly.

I'm going to re-grease everything today and check the chain again looking for unsual wear. Nothing better to do on cold Wisconsin day. ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2005-01-23          104755

The 46" snowthrower works like a demon, but it is noisy. Mine sounds like the bearings are square instead of round, did so when it was new 12 years ago, does so today.

Cheers

JDFANATIC ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
busguy

2005-01-24          104823

Be sure that the front and mid drive shafts are correctly phased, the U joints should be in exact alignment with each other. I also noticed on my 47 that the drive shaft quick couples chatter when not under load. ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2005-01-24          104840

busguy,

What do you mean by phased? Either they click into place or they don't -- right? Also this blower is the one I used on a 425 for many years, that machine only had 1 driveshaft and it sounded just as noisy.

Cheers
JDFANATIC ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
busguy

2005-01-25          104887

Guess I thought they used 2 drive shafts like the 47 blower. You can position the front and mid drive shafts in any position on the spline shaft possibly causing the U joints to be out of alignment. this can cause a drive line vibration. ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2005-01-25          104901

busguy,

Sorry I didn't explain myself well, but the 46" on the 2210 does use the same two driveshaft arrangement as the 47". When I traded the 425 in on the 2210 I kept the blower. But still, I'm curious about the "out of phase" condition. With so many clickable locations on both shafts, how would I know if they were in phase or not?

Cheers
JDFANATIC ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-01-25          104920

In the manual it cautions that the U-Joints should be in the same relationship to one another. That must help them flex and roll in tune.

I'm just guessing from the post here that the unit is simply noisy.

Another question - I don't find any grease zerks on the auger. Am I missing something? Do I need to dismantle it to lube it? ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
Art White

2005-01-25          104924

I've never seen a reason for a grease fitting on an auger. There should be grease fittings on the bearings on the end of the auger which support it. The (phasing) of the joints only mean that the caps all face the same direction. On most machines it is virtually impossible to have them out of line from each other. ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
busguy

2005-01-26          104938

The way that the front pto is splined you can misalign the U joint caps. I had mine misaligned and you could feel the vibration coming up through the floor. when I phased them correctly the vibration went away. ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2005-01-26          104974

busguy,

I'm confused; how do I check this phasing/misaligning out. What signs should I look for? A pic or sketch would be helpful.

Cheers
JDFANATIC

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-02-02          105397

I just checked mine last weekend. The book suggestion is to have the various u-joints positioned so they lie in the same relationship to one another. Mine were about an 1/8 turn off at the front. I don't know that my unit is any quieter, but is was easy to do and gave me another reason to get grease on my hands. I did learn that the blower unit spins quite easily when not engaged to the PTO shaft. That alone was a comfort to a "newbie". ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
busguy

2005-02-02          105405

I took the pto and shaft pics last weekend but haven't had the time to re-size them so I can post them. will try tomorrow.. ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
busguy

2005-02-04          105491

JDFANATIC,

I finally had a chance to post those pics. pic 1 is correctly phased and pic 2 shows incorrectly phased.

hope this helps... ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2005-02-04          105497

busguy,

Thank's for posting that. Tomorrow I'll do a little fooling around with the shafts. In pic 3 what is the digital gauge for?

Cheers
JDFANATIC ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
busguy

2005-02-04          105499

Picture 3 is my engine coolant temp gauge that the 2210 doesn't come with. and pic 4 is the temp sensor that i installed. ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2005-02-04          105514

Do you find you are having issues where temperature is or has become an issue? Or are you just curious, or making sure operating ranges aren't being exceeded? As clever as your ideas/thoughts seem to be, do you have a tilt meter, and if so, where did you mount it?

Thanks again,

JDFANATIC ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2005-02-05          105559

busguy,

I checked out the postions of my shafts today, and according to your pics, they were 90 degrees out of phase. I moved the shafts, and it seems quieter, but I can't vouch for that. Anyway, thanks for the informative post.

Cheers
JDFANATIC ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
jd2210

2005-02-06          105577

busguy,

I see excately where you tapped into the engine for the temp meter. Can you tell me what fitting size and/or temp unit you purchased? I would reall like to put one on my machine. ....

2210 Snowblower

View my Photos
busguy

2005-02-07          105625

The reason I installed the temp gauge was when I started using the tractor last winter I was disappointed with the cab heat and wanted to see what the coolant temp was running. The idi engine uses a 160° thermostat but I found the coolant only runs at 138° to 142° in the winter even under load. During the summer it runs at the 160° thermostat setting. This tells me that the radiator fan is supercooling the engine block. This year I cut a piece of aluminum the same size as the rad screen and punched some holes in it to block off the rad and get the coolant temp up. It now runs at 173° gets much better heat and still gets coolant flow through the cylinder head at 160°.
The temp gauge and sensor is a cyberdyne from jc-whitney. it was around $50.00. You can’t read an analog gauge from the seat so I had to go with the digital..
The sensor is 1/8 X 27 NPT using an “R” drill bit.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login