Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
Werner
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-21          104594

Is there an adapter available to tap into the 4100 hydraulics for implement use? Would like to add a simple log splitter using tractor's system.
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-21          104598

YES,

Search the archives for "Power Beyond"

That will give you some direction.

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
Werner

2005-01-21          104606

mmbeki - Please explain where these 'archives' are located. I didn't see any way to access them (sorry, I'm new to this group).

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-21          104607

Try the search function.

My power beyond kit cost about $250 installed. Other members have installed the kit themselves with little trouble. It requires removing one rear wheel and a fender.

I can post some pics of the finished product if you want. ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
dmp437

2005-01-22          104668

The Deere website lists BM19290 as the PowerBeyond kit for the 4110 for $221. With some tips from board memebers it's a do-it-yourself install. ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-22          104680

I found the installation manual yesterday.... so that can be transmitted too.... ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
Werner

2005-01-22          104699

Thanks to all who responded to me about tapping into the hydraulic systems on my JD4100. I'll check with my local dealer at his next open house (discount parts) day.

Werner ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-22          104707

Just something to consider if you have not already. Your tractor produces 5.1 gallons per minute hydr. for implement use and that is at high RPM. The worst cheapest logsplitters produce 11 GPM but have a 2 stage system so only 1/4 of flow is used at the hardest spots, like a knot. ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-22          104708

A 4" cylinder is considered the smallest to use by many manufacturers. I have an 8 HP with 16 GPM pump and 4" cyl. It has a nice cycle speed. 5.1 gpm and 4" cyl may be very slow. They kick into the low flow very infrequently. If you just want a couple "romantic" fires a year, it will probably be fine. ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
Werner

2005-01-22          104709

I see where this is going - forget tapping into the 4100 system, and just get a 3PH splitter with a PTO drive. We use a fireplace insert to save on oil costs, and there's plenty of trees on the property to keep the stove hot for years to come. I suppose the next step is to find a decent splitter, something that won't be 'down' too much.

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-22          104711

I am not so sure the PTO drives are 2 stage. With a Single stage, you can only get 1/2 the GPM at high pressure as you have PTO horse power, I.E. 16 PTO HP will only allow 8 GPM pump. If they were 2 stage it would be great. ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-22          104712

You may just consider a decent used self contained splitter. I got mine at tractor supply new for close to $1000 14 years ago with a briggs engine, regretted it ever since. Just sold the briggs and put on a new Honda, now it is nice. ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
Werner

2005-01-22          104716

As I remember, the 4100 Gear is rated 17HP at the PTO. I've used a LandPride 1560 back hoe for the last few years, but that only has a 4.5 GPM PTO driven pump. Nevertheless, the backhoe never required more than 1500 tractor engine rpm.
I think you're telling me that a splitter requires a LOT more oil flow? The reason I was thinking PTO drive is that I don't need another engine to maintain - I already have 10 small engines plus the tractor, a pickup, and 3 cars! (maybe one more won't hurt.....) ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-22          104730

To avoid another engine to maintain, I opted for a three point log splitter too.

I don't think there is any big difference in hydraulic flow between my 4115 and your 4100.

Working alone I can split a cord of wood in about 75 minutes. If I had some help it would be significantly faster.

I have never used a free standing/20 GPM splitter, so I can't compare, but I am pleased with the unit I have.

Your 4100 hydraulic flows and pressure are more than adequate for the task. ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
dmp437

2005-01-23          104748

I've got the TSC 3 point splitter, 4" x 24" cylinder.
I calculate 1.3 gallons to extend it, 0.98 gallons to retract. However, splitting hardwoods I rarely extend further than 10" for the wood to split because of the wedge, so cycle time is faster than it looks on paper. ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
BrendonN

2005-01-23          104751

I have done just what you are thinking of with my GC2300. My father-in-law has a 3-point splitter that operates off of remotes but my tractor had none. I purchased a regular splitter valve from Surplus Center and mounted it behind the seat. (I have no other use for remotes so the valve did not need to be easily accessible from the seat.) I used regular Pioneer quick couplers to be compatible with the splitter and the tractors he uses it on. I believe that the GC2300 puts out about 6 GPM and yes, the ram does move a bit slow. But, it sure beats a maul and my investment was minimal. Since my stove takes only an 18" log, I do not split anything really long and that reduces the drawbacks of the slow speed. ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-23          104758

Although my splitter is designed to mount on the 3 point hitch, I keep it on a heavy wooden table.

When I need to use it I pick it up with the front forks, put it where I want it and park the tractor close enough to hook the hydraulic lines to the power beyond port.

The table keeps the split wood from falling on my toes.

BTW.... when splitting wood ALWAYS wear heavy boots (steel toe if you got 'em) to keep those thirty pound chunks off your little piggies.

I have also had chunks "explode" and leave saucer sized bruises on my belly, so a heavy jacket or vest and eye protection is a good idea too.

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-23          104760

I know what you mean by too many engines, I am in the teens without counting anything you can ride. That is why I now buy only hondas. They are as close as you can get to no maintenance. My honda tiller is over 15 years old and I have only changed the oil a few times. I always use 93 octane gas, and never winterize anything. ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
Werner

2005-01-23          104792

Assuming I tap into the 4100 hydraulics, a possible 3pt splitter might be the WIKCO SPLS400197, which appears to be a fairly heavy duty unit. Any reports on this (or similar one)? ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-24          104826

WIKCO SPLS400197..... this is exactly the unit I use.... although I bought it under a different name.

It works well for me. The only complaint is that the legs are sort of useless but that is a non-issue because it is supported by the hitch anyway. ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-29          105198

Werner, FYI southern NJ is not that far from me. I can be in bridgeton in 1 hour, cape may is a common fishing trip. Anyway an add is in our paper, and in my old home town. " Wood splitter 3-pt hyd hookup. valve & 24 inch x 4 inch cylinder. Excel cond. $300 Oxford PA 610-932-2508
I don't know if this sounds like a good deal or not. Just thought of you when I saw it. ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
Werner

2005-02-08          105796

Made contact with the selleer and picked up the splitter. Bought the kit from JD for the 4100. Installation was a bear as there is no room to put parts, fingers, and tools in the tight space, so had to loosen the ROPS, remove the fender and frame support, disconnect the lines from the bucket control valve, and then it went together easily. Hooked up the splitter and have already split a half cord. Running the 4100 at 1500 RPM and its fast enough to split wood safely.
Many thanks for the help, advice, and recommendations. ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-02-09          105817

Glad it all worked out. ....

JD4100 Hydraulics

View my Photos
Werner

2005-02-09          105821

OK, at the risk of starting a battle about oils, am I correct to assume that the John Deere hydraulic/transmission oil is about the same as Dexron ATF? I've been using Mobil 1 synthetics in all my cars, and also in the 4100 engine, and am looking ahead to the 500 hour change interval for the 4100 transmission.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login