Go Bottom Go Bottom

Are Compact JDs still Yanmars

View my Photos
Roger L.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-11-27          10413

I'm curious just when JD started making their own compact tractors. I am pretty sure that the 650 thru 1650 series which came out in the early 1980's were 100% Yanmars painted green. In fact, those John Deeres sure looked like they were identical to Yanmar's retired product line from the late 1960s and 1970s. Then came models like the 755 and the 770...Were these also Yanmars with slight modifications to suit John Deere? If so, that might explain why they are so reliable. What about the current series? The 4000 series? I know that they have a Yanmar engine, how about the rest of the tractor? Roger L.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

1999-11-28          10415

I had a journalist from Chicago interview me for an article on compact tractors. He told me he had asked Deere that question & was told 30% were made by Yanmar & the rest were assembled by Deere (Yanmar components?). NH is doing the same thing . Made(assembled) in the US, but imported components. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-11-28          10416

Hmmm...is this 30% for the new 4000 series or when did it start? I have a picture somewhere in my literature collection of some of the 650 thru 1050 series JD compacts being painted green at the Yanmar factory. They are obviously a completely assembled tractor at that time (about 1984). I guess this has changed.
Maybe the 30% pre-assembled requirement is part of some sort of trade agreement? I also wonder - as you do - if the remaining 70% can all be supplied by Yanmar? Sort of like a kit? Or maybe JD is both designing and building some part of the tractor. If so, my guess would be the transmission and rolling/braking/steering gear, since the engine says Yanmar right on it. ....

View my Photos
David

1999-11-28          10420

JD compacts the XX50 and XX70 series were made in Japan by Yanmar and are very similar to some Yanmar models. There were modifications to the original Yanmar models to bring them up to JD specs. Differences being in the areas of PTO drive, hydraulics, and electrical system. These tractors were built on the same assembly line as the Yanmars and we have pictures of red and green tractors on the assembly line at the same time. The new JD compact series XX90 are also built in Japan by Yanmar. The 4XXX series compacts are built (assembled) in a JD plant near Augusta, GA. These tractors use a Yanmar engine and other parts from Yanmar but are assembled in the states. Yanmar is currently building a new engine plant outside of Atlanta ... This is about 2 hours from Augusta and was announced at about the same time JD announced an expansion of their Augusta plant. Yanmar also has a transmission factory in the US that makes transmissions and parts for compact tractors and riding lawn mowers. The plant is operated by Tufftorque who is owned by Kanzaki, Kanzaki is owned by Yanmar. Lets see...It seems most of the important parts in the JD 4XXX series compacts are built by Yanmar. That makes them Yanmars in my book, with that all important high dollar green paint all over them. Like I tell my customers the only difference between a Yanmar and a JD compact is the paint and the price. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

1999-11-28          10430

It is my belief that David is misleading his customers in regard to the 4x00 series of JD compact diesel tractors when he tells them "Like I tell my customers the only difference between a Yanmar and a JD compact is the paint and the price." From what I have read and heard regarding the JD 4x00 series, the 4100 is basically a Yanmar, but the other members of this series were ENGINEERED and built by John Deere, even though JD may use Yanmar engines and some other Yanmar components in their manufacture. My JD955 probably was a Yanmar under the skin (which in no way offends me), but I do not believe that is the case with my 4400. Perhaps a JD dealer could give us a definitive answer that will substantiate my belief that, contrary to David's statements to his customers, that there are significantly more differences between a Yanmar and my 4400 than mere paint and price. (This in no way is a putdown to Yanmars--I previously owned one that was painted red, so I am aware of their quality.) IF I am mistaken, I prefer my crow BBQ'd.
Mike S.

View my Photos
Brent

1999-11-28          10432

I believe Mike S. is correct. The 4200 and up are JD engineered tractors that use a Yanmar engine, but the 4100 is still a pure import Japanese tractor. If you read the back cover of the 4000 brochure it says something like "the 4200, 4300, 4400 are proundly made in the USA", but does not say anything about the 4100. ....

View my Photos
ARK

1999-11-29          10433

It is my understanding that the 4100 is still made in Japan by Yanmar. The other 4000 series in question are assembled in the USA with Yanmar engines and Yanmar produced transmissions and drive axles (probally made in US factory mentioned above). ....

View my Photos
David

1999-11-29          10437

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post, but what I was really talking about were the XX50, XX70, XX90 series JD being Yanmars with the only difference being paint and the price. I stand by that statement and anyone who has ever set an 850 JD side by side with a Yanmar knows what I am talking about. As for the larger 4XXX series tractors I am sure there was engineering work done on them in this country, but the guts of the tractor is still all Yanmar. ....

View my Photos
RBinNC

1999-11-29          10438

The transmission on my 4300 has a plate from Funk Manufacturing, in Kansas.
The engine is of course, a Yanmar. ....

View my Photos
Jeff Kraft

1999-11-29          10444

In a attempt to put this issue to bed, this is what I know being a John Deere dealer. The older John Deere X50's were Yanmar tractors with John Deere engineering modifications no exact model was sold in the Yanmar line. The Next series the X70's were the same. However the X55's were not they were a John Deere engineered tractor top to bottom with the design using alot of yanmar sub components. This is why you see some of this design in other John Deere equipment ie the F1145 uses about the same tranmission as the 855. Now the 4XXX's series the 4100 is a Yanmar tractor but instead of John Deere making modifications to the design the have the tractor shipped over just short of completion to Augusta were it is completed. The 4200's-X are John Deere tractors built and designed by John Deere with as far as I know the engine is yanmars only contribution. The design of the tractor is modular so some of the tractor is built by sub-suppliers to John Deere's design and spec. That leaves the X90's which are Yanmar and I believe are finished touched in Augusta also since the come to us as drive off rather than in crates like the old X70's. Hope this helps clear things up. ....

Link:   Lawn & Leisure of Lee's Summit

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

1999-11-29          10447

It was my understanding that the 4100 was built in Horicon, Wisconsin along with the lawn and garden tractors. ....

View my Photos
Jeff Kraft

1999-11-30          10483

No Terry, the 4100 is not built in Horicon it is a Yanmar tractor finished in Augusta. ....

Link:   Lawn & Leisure of Lee's Summit

View my Photos
doug

1999-11-30          10487

the 4000 series engines are made by Yanmar and will continue to be, they are however built to John
deere specs the 600, 700, 800, and 900 tractors were aslo all Yanmar engines which should not be considerated a negitave! ....

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

1999-11-30          10495

IMHO, it was a mistake of JD not to allow Yanmar to build (in total) the 4xxx series. All the tractors built by Yanmar seem to be bullet proof. Now it seems that the only thing JD is NOT having problems with on the 4xxx's is the engine "Made by yanmar"

David ....

View my Photos
mike

1999-11-30          10501

Now don't you fellas of Green take this to heart,because I think that Deere will sooner or later work the bugs out of the 4000 series.But.I prefer Kubota simply because they are still the only compact mfg. out there that still builds a tractor basically from the ground up,maybe excluding tires and rims.I think anytime you've got differant jobbers building components for a product,you lose a certain ammount of quality control.I know times have changed,and virtually no one builds there product entirely "in house",but the final result of the companies that still do,is usually a better product in the long run. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

1999-11-30          10503

Regarding Mike's statement: OUCH--sometimes the truth hurts!
Mike S. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-12-01          10540

Seems to be a bit of confusion among JD dealers. I'm not trying to create a controversy, because I'm not going to loose sleep wondering where what is made. But every JD dealer I've ever been in contact(5)with, has stated the 4100 is a pure import, short of mounting tires and such. The 4200 on up is assembled in GA. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-12-02          10574

The back page of the JD4000 series brochure agrees with my previous posting..
Nor does the serial tag on my 4100 state Augusta Georga. The manufacturing location is definitely in Japan, based upon what I think it says.. BTW: The 410 loaders are made in Canada...FYI ....

View my Photos
Jeff Kraft

1999-12-02          10579

I has not saying that the 4100 is made in Augusta, like I stated in the first posting it is shipped from Yanmar just short of being completed to the John Deere Augusta factory were John Deere puts on the final touches, which I believe are fenders, seat, tires, and some optional equipment to fill the order. This way John Deere can order two models from Yanmar (Gear or Hydro) and fill all of the orders by doing the the final mods at Augusta. ....

Link:   Lawn & Leisure

View my Photos
scotty

1999-12-02          10590

In response to the 4100 Tractor it is assembled completely overseas buy a company that John Deere bought three years ago I believe the name was (Shibotzu)That Tractor Factory is run by Deere and they assemble the 4100 and (2) European 4000 Models. The Engines are still purchased from Yanmar along with a contract for approx 1000 Tractoe units per year for the next five years (790) a direct replacement of the 770 tractor. As for the rest of the 4000's series they were born in Augusta Ga approximently three years ago. The same engineering team that developed the 5000 series tractors developed the 4000's of today and the engine is still purchased from Yanmar at least for now... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login