Go Bottom Go Bottom

Buying a 790 419 Frontier BB

View my Photos
tomrscott
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-22          102723

Well, I looked at the Chinese crated tractors and the Korean and Japanese, but finally stopped by my local JD dealer and was offered a deal I just couldn't turn down. He's got a low hours 790 coming in on a "year end tax sale" from a commercial farmer that is going to buy new stuff in January. A 2002 790 with 445 hours, and a new 419, delivered for $11,700. (more separately)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
tomrscott
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-22          102724

I appreciate a lot of the info here. I've only been reviewing these postings for a few days, but already I've learned a lot. Found myself reading till 2am two nights in a row! I am sure I will have several more questions. I haven't bought the membership yet (probably will, but want to hang out awhile first), so short replies are appreciated. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2004-12-22          102725

I am a tiny bit concerned that the 790 will be a bit weak in the lift capacity department, but until I have the problem, I don't know if that's realistic or not. This is the first tractor I've owned. I've borrowed and rented, and spent time on my uncle's farm as a kid forty years ago. The first tractor I operated was a hard working JD Model B on a large Nebraska Corn, hogs, and feeder cattle farm. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2004-12-22          102726

I've seen the discussion of increasing the hydraulic pressure on the 790, and may end up doing that if necessary, but thought I would run the thing awhile first and see how it goes. This 790 will be the earlier 30 HP engine version that gives 25 PTO HP. I would have preferred the 990 with a 430 FEL, but that's just not in the budget for now and I am not really sure I need it. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2004-12-22          102728

Ultimately, I figured that if the 790 turns out to be not enough tractor, I can always trade up later when I can afford it. As I mentioned in an earlier posting, I've got 6 acres on a hilltop in Oregon. An 800 or 1000 feet of gravel driveway that would wear out a boer goat! As I said earlier, people with 2WD pickups don't visit me without walking up the hill. With the rain here, and delivery trucks digging holes with spinning tires. I need a BB badly. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2004-12-22          102729

The dealer has Frontier BoxBlades in 48" and 72", but is all out of 60" or 65". He'll sell me a 72" and trade straight across any time later for a 60" or 65" if I decide the 72" is too much for me. The 72" would make quicker work of the job if I can pull it, but might be too much load, full of gravel and dirt, going up-hill. Planning to swap the R1s for R4s. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2004-12-22          102730

The dealer wanted to put calcium in the tires for me, but I am about decided to use wheel weights instead. Can I get as much weight in wheel weights as I would have gotten with watter/calcium? I like the notion that I can take wheel weights off and make less footprint on soft ground for jobs that don't need the traction. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2004-12-22          102731

I also have a couple horse stalls and pasture. Planning to use the BB as a poor man's manure spreader for the back pasture. Ultimately I want to get a rotary tiller, the dealer has a Kuhn 60" for 1620, at 529 lbs (very soft topsoil, not worried about the power required). And then I also want to get a brush chipper. Not planning a BH at this time, the property is pretty much "built." I don't see much need for largescale digging. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2004-12-22          102733

As I've said, I believe I will be happy with the power of the 790, and I may do the Hydraulic Pressure upgrade, but has anyone looked at the possibility of replacing the hydraulic pump with a larger one, perhaps the one from the 990? Would that improve the 790's lift capacity? ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2004-12-22          102735

Also as another in another thread here, wondering if a larger alternator could be used on the 790, perhaps the one from the 990? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-23          102768

Wow. I hate to break up a one man thread, But for starters I do think the 6 foot BB would be a bit to much given the weight and HP of a 790.

Lets see.... the lift capacity is more a function of the pressure rather than the flow specs. Shimming the back-pressure valve will kick it up to about what my 4115 produces. I was a little leary of this practice at first but we have heard no reports of problems. If problems were to come up I would expect they might center around overloading the front axle. If you are going to rig it to lift more, then you will have to add a similar amount to the factory recommended rear ballast. I would stick with the wheel weights and good old iron or concrete on the three point hitch.

Alternators: Check the Deere web site. Most models have an alternator upgrade available.

Last point, actually a question: Have you test driven a 790? The operator space is quite small and some folks simply don't fit on it. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2004-12-23          102769

I agree that the 72" seemed too big. The dealer agreed today to transfer a 65" BoxBlade in for me which I think might be about right, assuming I can get enough ballast on the rear. Sorry for the "one man thread" but I was trying to break up a long story into small chunks for those who don't subscribe premium yet. ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-23          102849

I HAVE A A&B EAGLE 72 INCH BOX SCRAPER ON MY 790.
I HAVE RIM GUARD IN MY R-4'S AND ON A FLAT GRADE I CAN PULL
A FULL UNIT OF ITEM 4 (PEA STONE)WITH NO PROBLEM IN LOW 1/2. ON THE DRIVE WAY SLOPE 40% GRADE I GO DOWN IT INSTEAD. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2004-12-24          102868

I got to chatting with another dealer today and the salesman was adamant that what I want for gravel driveway grading is a tilt and swivel rear blade rather than a box blade. He made some good points about being able to tilt it and dig drainage ditches at the edges, and pull gravel off the edges into the crown. What say others? ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2004-12-24          102869

Just takes twice as long to grade it if you can only go downhill. The extra foot isn't worth it if you mostly do hills and it keeps you from working uphill. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login