Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-04          101557

Anyone had experience in adding rear work lights to a 2210? I want light(s) for backing up when snowblowing this winter.

How big to too big? Is it better to mount them high on the ROPS or just over the turn signals? One of two? Should they swivel front to back? Where do I best tap into the 12V power? Does Deere have a solution or is it a after-market thing?

Any help will be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-04          101565

Most all new tractors have a pig tail by the rear tail lights for power that can be used for rear work lights. I like them on the top of the rops aimed down for best visibility. Normally I recommend using a clamp around the roll bar so you don't have to drill it. ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-12-04          101566

I have mounted one on the fender side I'll be turning around to look backwards as I go, and one up on top of the rops. I think it's nice to have bright light down on the ground so I can see the back edge of the blowers blade.

The one on top gives a nice full area light. to see whats ahead...

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-12-04          101572

JD sells a rear worklight kit for the 2210. It is part number BM19291 (double check when you order). If it is like the kit on my 4310 it just mounts midway up the ROPS and plugs into an existing harness. ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
kickapoobd

2004-12-04          101574

I mounted a regular work light I purchased at Walmart behind the seat. I'll try to get some pictures up this weekend. The wiring plugged right into an already existing outlet with the taillights wires. I'll give the light wattage etc when I post the pictures. Defintely bright enough for blowing or hooking up attachments.

Troy ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2004-12-04          101575

Thanks for the advice. I was at the dealer this morning and bought two rear lights. The mechanics showed me the extra connection behind the seat just under the back edge. It is connected to the running lights switch - we checked it with a volt meter to be sure.

KW - I like the location you chose for your light - great picture. I'll explore that location.

KICKA - I'm anxious to see your mounting location picture. I used a similiar spot on a previous tractor with great success.

The dealer says I shouldn't have any problems adding the two lights, but acknowledged the limit of 20 amps on the alternator. He's got another customer for who he put a Kozy Cab on a 2210 for, but they are concerned about the alternator limit as the cab has lights and a heater (A beautiful cab as I saw it today!!).

Anybody see a need for a separate switch? I'm thinking of mounting one the ROPS in a convient spot. I don't want the rear lights all the time I have the front headlights on.

Any ideas?

Thanks again. ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-12-04          101578

bmeyer, the location I have the rear light mounted is the standard location that the JD light kit attaches to on the 4310. The 2210 is probably the same. ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2004-12-05          101610

KW, My thought was to mount the lights on the outside of the ROPS. On the 2210 the ROPS doesn't fold thus I would be faced with the issue you would have run into if you had tried it on yours. Because the 2210 is smaller I guessed that the lights might be in my way for reaching back if they were on the inside of the tailights.

Where did you mount your switch to control your rear lights? On the dash? Does that pig tail underneath go all the way back to the main switch - or is it just a local branch. (My tractor is still at the dealer getting the new snowblow installed so I can't look at mine right now.)

Thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it.

BMEYER ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
Garycorn

2004-12-05          101617

I mounted a piece of angle between the ROPS bars using U-bolts and put a single light on it, plugging into the rear outlet under the seat. You can see it in my pic #8. I liked it OK but wanted lights facing the front for pushing snow. I got 2 and mounted them on each side of the rear facing one. 2 lights prevent your head from casting a shadow. These work very well also. I was concerned about having these 3 lights in addition to the tractor's lights on all together, so used a seperate circuit for them. I went right to the battery for power because I couldn't find another source that was easy to tap into. I used a relay to power the lights and a switch to turn the relay on and off. These were both only a few dollars from an auto parts store. I couldn't decide where to mount the switch and relay so I stole a small Tupperware container from my wife and mounted it onto the ROPS bar using the bolts holding the existing lights on. I put the relay and switch inside the container with the switch handle sticking out to the front. This keeps everything easy to reach and is weatherproof. I'll try to get some pics today and add them to my photos. ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-12-05          101628

bmeyer, when the JD lights are plugged into the pigtail harness designed for it they are controlled with the main light switch. ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
kickapoobd

2004-12-05          101646

Here are the work light pictures, Check out image 5-8. I didn't locate the watage, but well below the 10amp fuse limit.

Troy ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2004-12-05          101657

Gary, Nice pictures! I think the real problem is that your hat is too high, not that the light is too low! (LOL) Keeping it below the top of the ROPS is my intent as well. Your pictures helped! Couldn't see your Tupperware Switch though. I'll look again.

KICKA - I mounted a light on my old tractor in the same location. It seemed to work well, too. Do things on the 3pt hitch get in the way with the light that low, or my guess is that you don't carry anything back there in winter? What happened to your ROPS - it's gone!?

My tractor gets returned on Monday, so I can begin my project then.

Thanks for your help.

BMEYER ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
Garycorn

2004-12-05          101668

bmeyer, I don't have the 2 lights and the tupperware container in the pics I currently have posted. I just put that on 2 weeks ago. I was going to try to get new pictures today but got rained out. Perhaps I will have a chance to take a few in the morning. I don't have too much cash tied up in my lights. The 3 lights were $10 each at Tractor Supply and the rest of the stuff wasn't very much.
I never priced the light bar at John Deere because I figured like everything else it would be pretty expensive. Has anyone bought one or priced one?
Good luck with your project.

Gary ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-12-06          101673

I put the JD work lights under the brow of my Curtis cab and a NAPA generic round work light under the top of the ROPS. In the 3rd light switch position all the lights come on (tractor headlights and the 3 work lights). With my Curtis cab heater running and when I turn on all the lights the cab heater motor slows down some. The 20a Alternator is a tad too small but I have not experienced any battery problems yet. As far as lighting..wow! It's like a Christmas (bad PC) tree!

Mike in Alaska ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
JDeere2210
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-09          101989

Hey Kick,
I notice you have removed the ROP and mounted your flashers on the fenders were the ROP was connected. I have also removed my ROP to allow me to get closer to some trees with low branches while cutting. What was involved in mounting the flashers at that location?
I also like the light set up behind the rear seat. Does that provide adequate light. (what about when you have attachments on?)

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
kickapoobd

2004-12-09          102004

JD2210
The buffer between the lights and the Rops bracket is 3/4" foam matting I picked up at Home Depot (http://www.flexmats.com/AerobicsMartialArtsMats.htm). I cut and rounded the pieces to fit over the rops bracket and placed the lights on the foam. It took a couple of attempts in cutting templates but I think it was well worth the time and effort.

The toughest part of the project was getting the bolts off the ROPS. I want to meet the guerilla who tightens the the nuts and boltsat JD, that about killed me even with box wrench and 4' pipe.

Troy ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2004-12-11          102100

I did it! The work lights are on my 2210. As with most weekend projects the thinkin' takes more time than the doin'. I mounted mine under the top of the ROPS. They give good light there. I have them installed so that I can swivel them forward if needed.

The OEM pigtail worked great and I was pleased to find that it has its own 10 amp fuse. It works off the main switch, but now I'd like it to be on its own switch. I've got the parts. Here's where I need advice.

The light switch knob has a small set screw, but how does the PTO knob come off. It doesn't feel like it wants to just "pull off" - or am I just too chicken to give it a good yank?

Also, What will I find under the dash panel? Is there room for a small SPST switch on the right side? Or should I leave well enough alone?

I'd appreciate any advice you have. ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
psimonson

2004-12-12          102120

The top of the 2210 dash is attached with a 4 sheet metal screws around it. After you remove them the top panel will lift up enough to see under it. (You might want to remove the battery ground cable to be on the safe side.) The bellows on the steering column will collapse and the wiring and tach cable have slack enough to allow some movement. Unplugging the harness from switches will give you more movement.

If you still need more room, you can also remove the 6 or 8 bolts that hold the face of the dash to its steel support. If I remember correctly, you’ll also have to remove the bolt holding the throttle lever. Then you can tilt the whole panel back enough for additional access.

Incidentally, the knob doesn't come off the PTO switch, the whole switch comes out once you squeeze some plastic clips that hold it in from the bottom side. ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
bmeyer

2004-12-12          102126

psimonson - thanks for the reply. I'm glad I did yank on that PTO knob!

Does taking off the steering wheel gain any meanful room to work? As long as I can get my "fat" fingers and hand behind the dash I guess I'll be OK.

BTW - I'm impressed with your homemade backhoe!

Thanks, BMeyer ....

Rear Lights on a 2210

View my Photos
Garycorn

2004-12-12          102155

Bmeyer,
Glad you got your lights mounted OK. I also am not sure where to locate a switch. I don't want to put a hole in the dash that might allow water to leak in when I wash the tractor. I finally got a couple of pictures added to my photo file. I just put the switch in the tupperware container on the ROPS bar. Perhaps I'll just leave it that way, it seems to be a good place so far.

Nice pictures. I hope to upgrade my snow removal equipment to snow blower too. I just can't afford it right now.

Gary ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login