Go Bottom Go Bottom

Review Finally got 4310 skid plates installed

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-19          100595

After procrastinating for months I finally finished the installation of the skid plates from the Rental Upgrade Kit on my 4310. The left skid plate bolts to the step, which got bent when I hit a stump, which required removal of the floorboard to replace, which was the PIA that caused the delay. Anyway, the skid plates look like they'll provide great protection for the suction screen and filter, eHydro pedal assembly, and other hoses and wiring harnesses that are routed along the bottom of the tractor. It will be a bit harder to change the hydro filter and clean the screen, but it looks doable and the relevent skid plates wouldn't be hard to remove if required. The right plate is the toughie but it wouldn't interfere with routine maintenance.

The installation is not bad but it helps to use a floor jack with wood blocks to position the plates when lining things up. It's a good idea to ignore the instructions and not tighten up anything until all the bolts are in place. The hardest task is tightening the ROPS bolts to 225 ft lbs. You really need two people for that, one to handle a wrench on top and another with a torque wrench on the bottom. The right skid plate is supposed to bolt to the SCV/Diverter block which requires drilling two holes but I didn't bother since it seems there's plenty of other support in that area already.

I feel a lot better having those plates installed. Bending the step was a close call since it's only six inches from the hydro filter.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-20          100623

I was beginning to wonder where you went Ken! I guess I need to look at one of those completing packages for a deere tractor. They also say you need one on the 110 TLB unit to when you buy one. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-11-20          100630

I've been checking in regularly, but business has been picking up and keeping me busy so I haven't been posting as much. ....

View my Photos
wildbill
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-25          101030

Ken, I just purchased the rental upgrade kit for my 4410. When I began to install right side skid plate per instructions, I noticed that the two bolts holding the retainer block for the hydraulic lines to the floor board were not long enough to cover the additional thickness of the new bracket required. The instructions call out to just reuse the nuts. Did you have this problem? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-11-26          101086

I did not encounter that problem because the skid plate bolts to the diverter valve block on my tractor. But the bolts look too short in the manual pictures too so that looks like a mistake on their part. You may be able to install longer bolts by removing the floormat. The floormat is removed by prying out the plastic push pins that hold it down and they'll probably be have to be replaced. Fortunately, they're cheap. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-11-26          101088

As I think of it I don't think pulling just the floormat will help to replace the bolts. If you can't get it from underneath you will likely have to pull the floorboard. That's not hard, just sort of a pain that could add a couple of hours to the job. ....

View my Photos
wildbill

2004-11-28          101207

Just completed the skid plate installation today. I went to the local hardware store and purchased two bolts long enough to do the job. The hardest part of the whole affair was mounting the bracket underneith the floorboard next the SCV lines. I had to partially disasemble the floorboard in order to lift it up enough to get a wrench on the nuts. Everything else was a piece of cake. I also mounted my new toothbar on heavy duty bucket.

I noticed from your pics that you have the top-n-tilt installed. Is yours OEM JD or other? I am thinking about just going with a tilt cylinder. What do you think is the best size to use?

View my Photos
wildbill

2004-11-28          101208

correction to my last post. I meant Top cylinder as opposed to tilt. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-11-28          101209

Glad to hear you got the skid plates installed. There are a few bolts blocked by the floorboard and those are sure a pain. My Top and Tilt kit is OEM JD. I'll go out tomorrow and measure the top cylinder. ....

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2004-11-28          101211

Would the skid plates interfere with a 72" mmm? I would love to have that protection while brush hogging but have to mow the yard with it as well. Just curious. How much is the rental upgrade package and does this kit consist of only skid plates or are there other things as well? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-11-28          101212

It won't work with a MMM. The kit runs about $325 and it does come with a couple of items that are mostly useless to regular owners - a C range lockout and some switch closeout plates (so switches can be removed and blanked out). ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-11-28          101214

dklopfenstein, the Rental Upgrade Kit is uncompatible with the MMM. You must remove the MMM, the mount frame, and hydraulic cylinder in order to install the skid plates. That is why I haven't yet installed my kit yet. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-11-29          101240

Wildbill, here's the dimensions on the top cylinder for the JD OEM Top and Tilt kit for a 4310. I'm not exactly sure how to measure them so I threw in a bunch of numbers. Hope this helps.

Cylinder diameter: 4"
Shaft diameter: 1 3/4"
Cylinder length: 11" (just cylinder, not mounting end)
Extended length: 22" (not including ends)
Overall length fully extended with ends: 27" ....

View my Photos
wildbill

2004-11-29          101273

Thanks Ken for the info; I need to find out if JD will sell only the top cylinder. If not I will go with one from CCM ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-11-29          101274

Bill, glad to help. You can find the diagram to the JD top and tilt kit by going to jdparts dot com, going to equipment search, search for a 4310, then navigate the alphabetic search to "top and tilt". It will bring up a parts diagram and all the parts can be ordered separately. It looks like the top cylinder is part number AH168698 but they don't list a price. I've heard another good source for cylinders is surpluscenter dot com but I've never used them. For a sure bolt-on fit the jdparts site will list all the parts you need. ....

View my Photos
JFULLER5

2005-05-02          110633

ANYBODY KNOW IF THERE IS A CURRENT JD PN FOR SKID PLATES W/O LOCK OUT SWITCHES ETC, THANKS JIM ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-05-02          110635

I doubt they sell the skid plates separately. There isn't much demand for them and it's a discontinued model anyway. There isn't much to the other kit parts so they probably don't add much to the cost. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login