Go Bottom Go Bottom

Price help

View my Photos
Drew McGovern
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-11-22          21717

I have come across a 1988 JD 855 with a 70A loader and 5ft belly mower I'm considering at a local JD dealership. It has low hours 560 but the fenders and associated body parts are very rusted - the paint is all but gone. The loader seems to be in good condition and the mower is used but not damaged. They are asking $10,500 It started right up in cold and seems to run OK. I would appreciate any advise on the price, if the rust is a factor, and what else I should be looking at. I have never done this so any help would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Price help

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-22          21718

I wouldn't buy a machine that looked like crap unless the price was real right. Often times the outside is a direct reflection of how the rest was cared for and used (or abused). If the price is well below market value, you can then dump three grand in if you have to. There are some almost new 4100's floating around for 13k + or -. My opinion only! ....

Price help

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-11-23          21745

Drew, Thats not a bad price. In July I sold a 1988 755 4wd with 800 hrs., #52 loader, 5' belly mower and a JD 413 bushhog for $11,200. The paint was in good condition but starting to flake off in places and worn off on the foot rest. The early 55 series had problems with paint not sticking to the metal. It sounds like this 855 was kept outside, if so that would account for the looks. Paint is cheap. The hours are low, check all the grease fittings see if they will take grease if so they were probably taken care of. Check the engine oil and hydro fluid if they look ok, ie no burnt smell, hydro fluid fairly clear no white foam then it's probably a good buy. The 55 series were tuff machines.
David ....

Price help

View my Photos
Drew McGovern

2000-11-24          21759

Thanks for the feedback. How big an issue is the rust? The dealer said "just unbolt the parts, sand and paint". The footrests and the fenders are the main problems. The fiberglass/plastic hood is worn but not destroyed in anyway. I plan to have light use on the tractor, mowing 3 acre, some snow removal, driveway maint. and light landscapeing. It is a little more tractor then I need but I don't want to spend a fortune. The local Kubota dealer has the new BX models and a simular outfit is 13-15K ( less power). ....

Price help

View my Photos
cutter

2000-11-24          21760

Check the equipment listings on this site. I saw a 2000 JD 4100 listed a few days ago, seems it was around 13k. Probably still has warranty on it. ....

Price help

View my Photos
Art White

2000-11-25          21804

Drew JD had problems with there paint on a lot of there tractors when that was built. Now the other reasons that the paint may be bad would be the tractor was left out or during the winter it was used for snow removal and the salt got to it. Ask the dealer to paint it for you, the hours are low if correct and it would be worth the money if painted. ....

Price help

View my Photos
Drew McGovern

2000-11-25          21810

Thanks for the reply. The dealer won't move on the price. If they don't sell it by January, they are going to break it down over the winter and repaint - only to sell it for about13-14K. I spoke with the person who traded it in and he was the one and only owner. He had it maintanined by the dealer on a regular basis, used it for cutting about 3 acres (the same as I want to do) but it was not covered. The 70A loader was put on in 96 and that is in great shape. I did a second test drive and it seems to run fine. How difficult a project is it to pull of the rusted parts and have them painted. The frame is not rusted at all, only the surface parts? ....

Price help

View my Photos
cutter

2000-11-25          21811

Drew, If you have since spoken with the only previous owner and the machine was maintained by the dealer, then the appearance is the only apparent fault. I would question the hours. Mowing three acres plus the loader work adds up to more than 50hrs a year. I mow about the same size lot with a 72" deck and rack up around 100hrs per year in just lawn care. I wouldn't accuse anyone of anything, perhaps a meter malfunction exhisted, but keep that in mind. Also, I seriously doubt he will get 14k in the spring with a paint job, it is still almost thirteen years old. There are two 4100's in the classifieds on this board, one is two years old for 13k. Hope this helps. ....

Price help

View my Photos
Drew McGovern

2000-11-27          21866

After all the wounderful advise, I have decided to walk away from this 855 and continue to look. Thank you all very much for your assistance. ....

Price help

View my Photos
Toddh

2000-11-29          21946

Saw that you had already made up your mind, but figured I'd go ahead and chime in anyway ;-)

Dealers of all sorts make the "all you have to do is so-and-so and it will be worth $xxxxx more" claims, and I'd be wary of every single one of them. Car dealers are notorious for doimg it with hail damage ("just replace that $250 hood and save the $4K I'm knocking off the price!"), bad paint, scratches, etc. To me it's the first sign that they just aren't being honest. Anything that is readily apparent to prospective purchasers, but simple to fix or cover up will be taken care of by the dealer as part of just detailing and prepping for sale.

I think you made the right choice on this one. ....

Price help

View my Photos
Drew McGovern

2000-12-17          22546

Just to close out this discussion, I decided to buy a Kubota B2150 with loader. Great shape and low hours.

Thanks again to everyone who helped. ....

Price help

View my Photos
Thomas Varner

2000-12-28          22884

As I recollect John Deere used a primerless paint process in the late 80s. The process was a failure as the paint lost adhesion and peeled off the tractor panels. There was a recall under warranty but the problem wasn't that obvious until the tractor had some age to it and beyond the warranty period. Also JD provided some financial assistance to replace the panels if the customer complained enough but I'm sure that offer ended years ago. I was one of those complaining customers.

I believe John Deere did not recommend repainting as they felt a new finish would not adhere to the metal in these panels. It may have been a problem with the steel also in addition to the paint process. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login