Go Bottom Go Bottom

What is fair price on JD820 approx 78 2WD 33 HP

View my Photos
Jeri Washell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-10-14          20569

Can someone please help us...looking at our first used tractor to start out...JD 820, 2WD, 145 Loader, 33 HP, diesel, 450 HRS. Older,('78) but in excellent shape. What is a fair price for this? Also should we go more towards a 4WD instead? Also includes a pull behind finish mower. New to tractor world...any help appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-10-14          20570

Jeri, I know that I would not be happy with a 2WD tractor with a front end loader, but there are quite a few around. The bigger the tractor is, the better luck you have with a loader with 2WD, but it depends on what you intend to do with it and in what kind of conditions. I've had loads in the front end loader that made the rear end too light to get any traction and go, but that's been with 16hp and 27hp tractors. If you have enough ballast on the rear (in tires, wheel weights, or on the 3-point) and not too heavy a load in the loader, and if you're not going to be trying to go in mud, on wet grass, etc., then a 2WD tractor might meet your needs. And as to the value of the one you're looking at; sorry, I can't help you, just don't know. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-10-14          20573

Jeri, if that is an 820 with that loader it sure is a nice tractor. The model designation is a little confusing, because JD also made a compact 4x4 tractor called the 850 (in the mid 1980's). They are not even close to being related! The 820 you are describing was manufactured from the mid 60s to 1972. It could have been sold as late as '78. Nearly the same tractor was produced as the 830 until the end of the model run in 1975. Even this is slightly confusing as JD had already built an 820 (and an 830) in the late 1950's and they were HUGE diesel tractors for large scale wheat farming. But the one you are describing should be a smallish three cylinder diesel with an 8 speed manual transmission. The 820 would be considered a very small farm tractor rather than a compact. It was these types of tractors which led to the lighter weight imported 4x4 imported compact tractors. The 820 is quite a bit more tractor than a Japanese-built compact. Though about the same size, the 820 weighs almost twice as much as a 33 HP compact. And it is proportionately stronger throughout. It never came in 4x4, and in my opinion does just fine without it, as it weighs almost 6000 lbs and has good tires and good weight distribution. With the loader, it would go another 800 pounds or so. A smaller tractor could not handle that 145 loader, which is one stout piece of equipment. Of course I agree with Bird...it would be nice to have all of this and a 4x4 as well, but this tractor is from before the days when 4x4 became common. They are good machines and were expensive at the time. The 820 cost almost $7000 in 1970, and that is without accessories and without the loader. I do have trouble believing that you have found one with only 450 hours on it, but you should be able to tell by history and condition. Several thousand hours would still be low hours. But maybe you have stumbled on one that someone bought for working small acerage. Price?? I hate to talk price without seeing it, but I'm going to say somewhere between 7500 and 9500 in that condition...just to get the ball rolling. I'll be down toward Texas next week, so if it is in that neighborhood I could give it the 'ol eyeball. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-10-14          20575

Hmm....I just found another old reference (also not from JD) to the 830 which shows a price of $7050 INCLUDING the JD factory loader. It doesn't say which loader, but it should be a 145 loader at that time for that tractor. Weight (total?) is given as "over 6000 lbs" - still a heavy little tractor. With this new price information, I'd say to knock a $1000 off of the prices that I gave you - and remembering that I am basing these on excellent condition and 450 hours. I knew I should have kept my mouth shut on the prices! :-)! BTW, my information comes mostly from my bookshelfs of tractor books and sales brochures - and partly from recollection. I've been interested in tractors for far too long now! The only 820/830 that I have seen sell in the past few years was a rather beat-up 830 with indeterminate hours. It came with one implement: a well used bush hog. The combination looked rough, but did run OK. I know about that one because I saw it sell twice... both times for right at $4000. Something to look for would be turf tires, they usually add some value to a tractor. Turfs would make sense with a finish mower. ROPS is a good thing to have on any loader tractor. You might want to check and see if it is available and for how much. As I am thinking about my own tractors (some 4x4...some 2wd) and how I use them, 2wd vs 4wd does depend a lot on the ground that I'm working. If you have a lot of hilly land with poor traction, then pass on anything except a 4x4. For moderate slopes and good traction, the heavier tractor with 2wd and a longer wheelbase works fine. I don't mind that I get some wheelspin with 2wd, because overall the heavier machine is more comfortable to me....others might feel differently. ....

View my Photos
RickB.

2000-10-15          20581

Make sure that 820 has power steering, most did not. Manual steering & a front end loader are a poor combination. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-10-15          20583

Rick, thanks for pointing that out. Yes, I think it is important. Around here the 820/830 is not real common, but I don't think I've ever seen one without power steering. A point to consider it that there were a lot of "power cylinder" type of add-on power steering kits available in the 60's and 70's.... so tractors that didn't have it from the factory often had it added. They were good kits, and didn't overload the steering box. Ford and GM cars of that era used a similar type of power steering. I don't know where one would get such a kit today.
I agree with you; I wouldn't even consider a tractor with a front end loader that didn't have power steering. But that is just you and me. In fairness I should include the votes of three of my best friends and neighbors....all of whom have loaders on their tractors and use them all the time. They own from 5 to 80 acres, tend to have grey hair (or none!), and could certainly afford any tractor that they want. None of the three has power steering and they are not interested in adding it. Lots of conversations on this subject have finally convinced me that my opinion is in the minority. These guys just don't see any reason for power steering and they enjoy the exercise of manual steering.

View my Photos
Jeri Washell

2000-10-15          20584

Thanks so much for all the quick responses to my message! Keep it coming! Looking for something for 44 acre upkeep. Pastures for horses, barnwork, etc.
Do have real concerns about not being 4WD...hilly in some places, wet in bottom area...but think it would dry up mostly if cleaned up. We were curious about hours as well on it...but seems to all fit with condition of tractor, owner's manual is there as well, from original owner..mint condition too. Is there a different model that would be recommended for the use I'm talking? ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-10-15          20585

Jeri, that's quite a bit of land to maintain and does change things a bit. Keeping in mind that ANY tractor beats NO tractor, if it is all usable land then my own opinion is that a small Ag tractor like the 820 is the minimum I would consider. Although 4wd is always preferable, 2wd Ag tractors have a tremendous amount of traction when they are ballasted correctly. I would also look at the slightly larger farm tractors like the 5000 series JD or the recent 20xx series JDs. All of these were available with 4x4 ....and are going to be more expensive. In the 12 to high 20K range with loader. Don't overlook some of the lesser known brands. The JD145 loader will be just fine for your acreage. If you want to go for a compact tractor I'd go for one of the largest ones I could find, in the 30 to 40 hp range.
Depending on the price, it does sound like you have found a nice 820. And it is a good machine that should at least get you some experience. One thing about JDs is that the market is very strong for both used and new. If you buy a JD at a fair price you won't have much trouble reselling it.

View my Photos
Jeri Washell

2000-10-15          20590

Fair price is the question..we are not certain at this point. The asking price is $10,500.00. I think we could negotiate a little on that, but want to be more certain what should be fair range. ....

View my Photos
RickB.

2000-10-15          20591

The asking price is way too high, IMHO. According to the info I have, the 820 was built from 1969 to 1973 with open center hyd's, not the closed center Deere's other ag tractors of the 60's &70's used. Even the replacement model 830 was only built in '74&75 . It is most definitely not a '78 machine. What else is being misrepresented? The hours, perhaps. Shop around, that price should buy you a comparable sized tractor at least 10 years newer than the one you are looking at. Power steering IS a necessity for tractors with loaders. Those who say different either 1: don't use them much at all, 2:have never used one with a good power steering system, or 3: want you to suffer like they do. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-10-15          20607

Jeri, as more things come out I am beginning to wonder about the deal myself. Misgivings and second thoughts. Not about the tractor...it is a fine model, though nothing special compared with more modern ag tractors. As Rick says, several things just have too much potential for being misrepresented here. The hours are hard to swallow, but even so, the price is just too high. I think you are too far out to negotiate. You can do better for that much money. I was hoping to see in in the 7k range. It isn't unusual to see a well cared for tractor sell for most of what it cost originally. But not more. Something doesn't feel right about that. It's not the money so much as the idea....
The 820/830 do have open center hydraulics.....which I see as an advantage rather than the other way around. Open vs closed center is a rather esoteric argument. Tractors are still built both ways, and I doubt that the normal user either knows or cares which that he has.
Rick's comment really tickled me....that "Those who say different either 1: don't use them much at all, 2:have never used one with a good power steering system, or 3: want you to suffer like they do." It's a good sentence and worth repeating. And as I said, I prefer the power steering myself. But none of his three descriptions would fit my friends, and they still prefer manual steering. I'll point out that all three of them are the type of person who exercise for fun....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login