Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 850

View my Photos
Chuck
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-17          13865

I am looking at a JD 850 4WD, Hydro w/60" belly mower. 650 hours. Dealer says owner used it to cut grass only. I will want to add a loader and use a rear blade to pull ditches and keep up access road to our property. Dealer is asking $8500.00 From previous threads this price seems on the high side but I have been looking for some time now and there don't seem to be many opportunities on used compacts.Do you think $8500.00 is a reasonable price ? I don't want to loose the opportunity if the price is fair. I would appreciate any feedback on price and or experience with this tractor. Thanks, CHUCK

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 850

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-03-18          13884

Are you sure that is an 850. I thought the hydro was an 855 and the 850 was a gear trans. It would make a difference in the price. ....

JD 850

View my Photos
judd

2000-03-18          13890

Larry is correct......the 850 is a gear drive trans and the 855 was a hydro ....

JD 850

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-03-18          13898

Right. 850 is gear (8F2R). 855 is hydro (2-range), but had a 25% smaller motor.
There is an 856 listed in the shop manual, but no information and I've never seen one. The 870 was the last of the breed and was a dandy. Gear drive (9F3R) but with a syncromesh tranny. Bigger engine, planetary gearing, and 800 lbs heavier. A lot more capable machine.
Price? around here (Colo.) Assuming topnotch shedded condition with good rubber and no dents, your price would be too high on the 850, a lttle high but in the range on the 855, and definitely low on the 870.

JD 850

View my Photos
Chuck

2000-03-18          13899

Sorry, my error. It is an 855, not 850. Thanks for your comments. I will discuss it in more detail with the dealer. CHUCK ....

JD 850

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-03-18          13901

Darn! I was hoping that you had stumbled on one of the 870s. They were a good tractor but one doesn't see too many of them because the slightly larger and much more powerful 970 and 1070 tractors were only a little more expensive.
What are you hoping to do with the 855? What condition is it in? Attachments? Turf or Ag tires? There was nothing at all wrong with the 855, it came standard with power steering, a planetary final drive, and (because it was hydrostat) an independent PTO. The 755, 855, and 955, were optimized for mowing. They were less powerful, more maneuverable, and a lot lighter than the 870, 970, and 1070.
Equipped with a blade and a loader, they are capable of doing a lot of work. I'd judge that the 855 would be somewhere between a 4100 and 4200 in ability.

JD 850

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-03-19          13924

Roger, So far I love my 855. For those who don't know, I just bought it a couple of weeks ago with the loader, backhoe, turf tires and 140 hours on it. I've put about 15 hours on it. Easy to use. Easy on diesel. Wish I had the R4 tires though, almost got it stuck in the mud last weekend after I churned things up a good bit digging out a stump and I'm afaid I'm going to slit or puncture a tire. I've been in the woods a lot pulling stumps to re-open an old access road to the rear of my property which has been growing over for almost 30 years. I'm also expanding the garden and dug out some stumps there. I've re-graded the driveway a bit and filled potholes with the loader and was out yesterday and today "harvesting" rocks for some stone steps and a retaining wall I plan to build. Took me a while to find all the grease fittings yesterday. Betweeen the tractor, loader and hoe there have to be 2 dozen of them. Using the loader to haul rocks (sometimes with a chain for the big ones) sure beats loading the things by hand into my truck. No smashed fingers, bruised shins or dents in the truck! I looked mostly at geared tractors but am glad I got hydro. I could probably use a slightly bigger machine (I was going to buy a new JD 790 before I found the 855), but don't regret buying the 855 a bit. ....

JD 850

View my Photos
Chuck

2000-03-19          13946

Roger,
Glad you are so high on this tractor. In addition to mowing, I plan to put a rear blade on to grade a road on a piece of property we own in west Virginia. I would like to clear another couple of acrers(?)and plant some fruit trees as well as build a small pond. I'll need to add the loader when that time comes. I will move snow although we haven't had a lot this season, we have had as much as 36" on the ground in West Virginia a couple of winters ago.The tractor has turf tires and that should be ok for most of what I will be doing. Any reccomendations for extra weight? I'm wondering how stable the unit is on inclines as the road we have to the place in WV is strait- UP ! Does any one know what the weight of this tractor is ? Another concern is I want to be able to trailer it occasionally and I want to be sure my tow vehicle will be adequate. CHUCK ....

JD 850

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-03-19          13953

As far as I can see, there aren't any bad compacts out on the market. Certainly all of the major companies have excellent machines to pick from. The 650 thru 1090 was JD's first compact tractor line. It started in the early 1980s and is just finishing the model run now.....giving way to the the current 4000 series machines. Of course we now have the advantage of hindsight, and can see that the 650 thru 1090s were good solid tractors right across the board. It doesn't even matter which one that you choose. The've depreciated about all that they are going to for the next decade or so....buy one, try it, keep it up, and you should be able to resell it easily.
The weights are:(4wd,field ready, R1 tires) 850 - 2500lbs, 855 - 1900 lbs, and 870 - 2700 lbs. Yes, the 855 is lighter than the others. As for the turf tires and flats, I seem to get flats on my turf tires but rarely on the Ag tires - Hope I haven't jinxed myself! But the turfs are tubeless, and I carry a little five dollar tubeless tire repair kit. It gets used about once a year. For mud and winter I use chains. Most compacts suffer from lack of side hill stability. I run my rear tires as wide as I can get them, and have a hundred pounds of wheel weights besides. ....

JD 850

View my Photos
Joe Padavano

2000-03-20          13962

Here's a vote for the JD850. I also got mine used (a 1979 model with only 500 hours on it) and am quite pleased. My neighbor has an 855 and is also happy. While my 850 came with a rotary cutter, finish mower, tiller, and auger (all for $6500), I've since aquired a back blade, boom pole, and now a PTO driven cement mixer. I've also installed a ROPS myself ($300 or so from JD for the kit) and am in the process of adding remote hydraulics to let me dump the mixer. We have 55 acres that we're turning into a horse facility. ....

JD 850

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-03-21          13994

Does anyone own an 870? I'm beginning to wonder if I imagined it...Joe, does your 850 have a loader? Seems odd to have all the other implements but no loader. Maybe I'm missing something.
BTW, I wonder if JD ever marketed an 890? If so, I missed seeing it. ....

JD 850

View my Photos
Randy Eckard

2000-03-21          14009

Roger,
My Dad has a 98 model 870. It is a great tractor. We used it to dig the foundation for my garage(3feet deep).
I have a 4200. It has some improvements over the 870 but I like both machines.
randy ....

JD 850

View my Photos
Joe Padavano

2000-03-21          14013

Roger, no unfortunately my 850 did not come with a loader. As I think everyone on this BB knows, used loaders are harder to come by than pretty much anything else (though if anyone has a used 70A at a good price...). I'm looking at the Bush Hog aftermarket units right now. ....

JD 850

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-03-21          14031

Randy, thanks for telling me that your dad has the 870... Its a relief to find out I hadn't imagined it. :-) It surely is true that used loaders for compact tractors are hard to find. In fact, I'm not sure that it is worth too much effort trying to find one. You'll see a few out there for the larger tractors, but not for the compacts. Off hand I can only remember stumbling across one. It was for an old International Cub and was at a garage sale - still in the box. ....

JD 850

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-03-23          14076

Here is a pic;ture of an 870 that is for sale. Looks real to me. ....

Link:   JD 870

JD 850

View my Photos
Chuck

2000-03-23          14106

Well, it turns out that the 855 was actually a 850 when it came in to the dealer. Gear drive. 800 hours and a much larger tractor than I realized.It had been left outside all of its life and looked pretty rough. I really want ( need ) something a little smaller. Perhaps a 755 would better suit my situation soo.. I'll just keep on looking. Thanks for all the usefull information. CHUCK ....

JD 850

View my Photos
Chris

2000-10-01          20230

Hello 850 Nuts! Can you tell me if this sounds like a good deal?
850 (Approx 1988), bucket loader, power steering, good-to-great condition, stored indoors, no dings, Ag. tires are in "good" condition and the asking price is 9.5K? Thanks! crevill1@nycap.rr.com ....

JD 850

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-10-01          20231

If it is 4wd then the price is decent - particularly if you are like me and don't mind paying a premium for good to excellent conditon. The tractor itself was an excellent one and should give you long service. If it is 2wd then the price is a bit high. ....

JD 850

View my Photos
Chris

2000-10-02          20269

Roger, Thanks for the fast reply. I forgot to mention that the unit I am looking at has 1500 hours. Is that a great deal of hours considering the price. Also, a Kabuto friend said that hydrostatic drive is THE WAY to go. What is your opinion? Thanks! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login