Go Bottom Go Bottom

Parking brake hanging up Help

View my Photos
BigYeti
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-07-16          155330

The parking brake on our 06 hpx hangs up nearly every time you use it... Has anyone had this problem and how can it be fixed??? You can reach the cable lever by the rear wheel and shove it forward to clear it but this is a real pain... It happened when it was about a year old , but, seemed to clear up for about a year... Now it's back with a vengeance... JD says they have not had this problem in the past, but if I transport it 25 miles to their shop, they'll check it out... I just don't have the time or the dollars to do this, at this time... Any and All help will be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance... Tom :-(

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-16          155334

I don't have a gator but on other vehicles (even my Toyota) the brakes can stick overnight and let loose with a jolt when starting out in the morning. They rust up a bit and bind to the drum/disc where the old asbestos shoes/pads didn't have that problem. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-07-16          155335

Tom; Probably the solution is to replace the cable. I just replaced the brake lever assembly on our HPX, it aint no picnic, there is lots of stuff to get out of thr way to get into where the brake cable attaches to the brake lever. It might be possible from underneath to get the pin out, but it will be close. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-16          155338

Frank you often tell the drive I think it is has to be cleaned and lubed with a spray (sure hope I remembering this correctly). Is that not worth a try on the brake cable? kt ....

View my Photos
BigYeti

2008-07-16          155356

Thanks guys; Keep them coming... It's a real pain at my age to remove the cables... I had them nearly off yesterday but didn't know how to remove the cable clip where it attaches to the lever... It's a different type clip... Does anyone know how to remove it so I can put the cable back if it's OK??? I really can't afford JDs prices if I can avoid them... Tom ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-07-16          155361

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 155338
Frank you often tell the drive I think it is has to be cleaned and lubed with a spray (sure hope I remembering this correctly). Is that not worth a try on the brake cable? kt

Kt: You have me scratching my head, "I often tell the drive"???? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-07-16          155362

Big Yeti: If I remember correctly the pin you have to remove is held in by a little curly springwire looking deal. Unlesss you have the dexterity and the patience of a brain surgeon to get it out without destroying it the best way is to find the end of the spring wire then lock a vicegrips on it and just pull till it uncurls and comes out. I used a common cotter pin instead of going to Deere for the currly spring deal, worked fine. Frank. ....

View my Photos
BigYeti

2008-07-16          155364

Hardwood; The clip is an umbrella frame thingy that allows you to put it in but expands with about 6 or so little flat steel fingers, so you can.t pull it out... It has a large thin flat washer on the other side of the slot/hole... Maybe I could cut this washer and pull the entire cable forward... That way i could just put another washer on and reinstall... Waddya think??? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-07-17          155365

Unless there is a real reason for the umberella type clip, maybe clearance reasons or sometning I'd toss the fancy clips and replace it with a common machine pin with a cotter pin. Framk. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-07-17          155367

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 155361
Kt: You have me scratching my head, "I often tell the drive"????

Frank, my wording was not the clearest, Below is what you said prior I was trying to remember. Now you can put your hat back on. :) kt

PM; There are cams in the hub of the driven sheave that sometimes just get sticky from dirt, etc. If I remember correctly you can see the cams in sort of triangle openings in the hub on the sheave half that slides in and out on the hub. With the engine off and the transmission in neutral spray some solvent, (WD-40 or the like), in the triangle slots while rotating the sheave till it gets worked in good. So far this hasn't been a problem on my XVU, but the HPX and the 4X2 I owned pror the the XUV neede a spray of solvewnt once in a while. Frank.

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-07-17          155368

KT; OK, I understand now, you meant to give the spray lube a try on the cable. Yes, that is worth a try but likely not a permanent fix. My comment comes from the experience of having owned several "70" series Case farm tractors that controled the throttle, power shift, PTO, and I think the gear transmission too all with cables between the levers in the cab and whatever they controlled on the other end of the cable. They had a tight fitting rubber gasket seal on each end that the cable its'self sid thru insude of the cable jacket. Those seals would get worn from use letting dirt and water in, soon as that happened it was kinda overwith, some WD-40 helped a bit but not for long it just attracted more dust making the situation terminal. Chaning one of those wasn't a walk in the park either, especially the cab end. Frank. ....

View my Photos
deereS

2008-07-28          155668

Park Brake Adjustment

Note: The park brake should be adjusted when the hand lever reaches the top of its travel (12 clicks) and will not hold the vehicle in place.

1. Park machine safely. See "Park Machine Safely" in the Safety section.

2. Raise or remove cargo box.

3. Block front wheels to prevent machine from rolling and safely raise rear wheels off surface. Remove wheels.

4. If cables were replaced, cycle the park brake handle from fully locked to fully unlocked several times to stretch and seat cables.

5. Pull the park brake lever all the way up and measure the length of the rubber bellows (A) on the end of each brake cable. If the measurement exceeds 63 mm (2.5 in.) proceed to step 15.

6. If the measurement is less than 63 mm (2.5 in.) check if brake pads are worn out. If friction material (B) on any brake pad is less than 1 mm (0.040 in) thick, replace brake pads. See "Brake Pad Replacement" on page 541 and then check park brake adjustment.

7. Place the park brake lever in the off position.
8. Loosen jam nut (C). Back off jam nut and adjusting nut (D) 30 mm (1.25 in.).
9. Pull forward on brake lever (E) to ensure the park brake is fully released.
10. Remove the actuator nut (F) and actuator lever (G) from the actuator screw.
11. On the left side caliper, turn the actuator screw (G) counter clockwise until it is hand tight.
12. Rotate the actuator lever as close to the leverstop (H) as possible and engage it back on the actuator screw splines.
13. Install actuator nut and tighten to specification.
14. Repeat steps 9-13 on right side of machine. On the right side caliper, turn the actuator screw clockwise until it is hand tight.
15. Adjust nut (D) until cables are tight; about 5 Nm (4 lb ft).
16. Check the park brake lever movement. It should move 2-4 clicks with a medium pull (about 50 lbs) force on the handle. Move the adjuster nut accordingly.
17. Hold adjuster nut and tighten jam nut (C) to

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login