Go Bottom Go Bottom

Jinma users - help me decide

View my Photos
WTracy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-11          119241

I'm new to this tractor stuff. Have 12 acres 1/2 mile driveway and would like a good all round tractor for road scraping, moving dirt, post hole digging, etc. I've been told that the Jinma 284 at $9,500 would fit the bill. I'm not into paying a premium for the "Kubota" label, but I want a tractor that's not going to fall apart after six months.

Grateful for any comments by current Jinma owners, good or bad.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
affordable
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-11          119243

Let me give you a dealers view,Jinmas are a great tractor value for the money, most of the problems with a Jinma come from poor assembly, not draining and flushing out all the original fluids, checking timing and clutch adjustments.If the dealer has done all of the above it will stop alot of the small issuses about the tractor.They are a hands on tractor ,small items here and there.Some owners have had no problems at all. Also make sure if you are getting a warranty that the selling dealer has some parts support in the event you need something you don't have to wait to get it from China.See if the tractor has some of the upgraded items ,Spring seat,Shuttle shift, 1-piece instrument panel,rocker switchs, ect.The Chinese loaders are OK for the money, I like Koyker loaders alot and they don't cost that much more you get added lift capacity of about 500lbs, float, Quality joystick valve,60" bucket,We have been selling them since 2001 and have a hard time keeping them in stock, we also are a large parts supplier for Jinma in the USA.Hopefully this helps in your decision making, they are not John Deeres, New Hollands, Kubotas but will work as hard if not harder for about 1/2 the money.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales ....

Link:   Webpage

View my Photos
WTracy

2005-11-11          119244

Thanks for your comprehensive answer. In checking your web site - it would appear my price for a Jinma 284 is a bit high. You're offering an upgraded one at around $7,400. Too bad I live in California ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-11          119245

What else besides a JM284 does that $9500 buy? Because if that's a "tractor-only" price, keep on lookin'

//greg// ....

View my Photos
WTracy

2005-11-11          119247

A front bucket plus a 5 foot blade or $400 credit towards another impliment. Delivery $384 for 288 miles, no tax. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-11-11          119250

Reasonable. Be advised though, there have been lots of regrets from Chinese loader buyers. Hopefully yours is an American made loader on a Chinese tractors. With that possible exception, it sounds like a reasonable deal

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Moooboy

2005-12-31          122031

I am ready to buy the same tractor with a loader in a crate for 8500 out the door and i am in calif.I am very competent since i do ground up restorations on mopars as a hobby,a tractor cant be that difficult to assemble.I hope this is a good choice for a tractor,the price is right.I dont want to and wont pay 15-20k for a tractor I may use once a month or buy someones used headacke when i can buy a new one.I have a little 5 acre ranch and have to maintain a road also,should this tractor do the job for me?thanks
Garth ....

View my Photos
moooboy

2005-12-31          122032

Oh the options on the tractor are 4x4,canopy,dont know about spring seat ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-12-31          122039

Sounds pretty close to retail to me, but there's likely still a lot of "old stock" out there to be moved. That tractor can now be purchased with an EPA-approved engine Garth. As such, I personally wouldn't buy a "new" tractor with an "old" engine again - without significant price consideration that is.

I recommend you get positive confirmation of WHICH engine is in that crate, then decide. If EPA-approved, the price is not unreasonable. If not, I'd expect a very deep discount. One other thing; even though the tractor may be badged as a 284, the EPA-engine is 25 hp.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
moooboy

2005-12-31          122047

Yes thanks for the info,i have verified all those things from the dealer,he is quite knowledgable and has told me all the the past issues Jinma had.The tractor I will be getting hasnt even left China yet.I pay for it and it will be here a month later so i am sure I'll get the latest.He did say it is EPA and the new Jinma loader is a Koyker copy and he has had no problems and says it works quite well.It will have the new 9" clutch also.This guy seems to be very honest and donesnt sugarcote anything,he says its not a kubota or deere but is a good reliable tractor if taken care of properly.He also explained the HP difference between old and new,the HP rating is at certain RPMs.I know this wont have the resale value of a Deere but everyone wants a mint for a used tractor in the AG area i live in,sometimes only within a couple grand of a new deere no matter how old it is if it has the 4x4,loader ect.I dont plan on trading it in anyways,if it does the job i will run it until i am old and gray since if i use it at the most 20 hours a month(conservative)it should last 20 years at 5k hours,i hope.Any other concerns with this tractor?thanks again
Garth ....

View my Photos
WTracy

2005-12-31          122058

Hi Garth:
I purchased a Jinma 284 earlier this month from an Oregon dealer (saved a considerable amount on Calif sales tax). The rig included a US FEL, 9" post hole digger, and a five foot box scraper - both US made. Delivered to my house for $10,000. So far, so good. I've used the tractor to reconstruct my 1/2 mile long driveway - just before the current storm hit. Make sure a tractor in the crate offers a sufficient savings and see if the dealer will upgrade the FEL to a US made unit.
Regards,
Tracy ....

View my Photos
moooboy

2006-01-01          122089

Thanks Tracy who did you buy it from and is it big enuf to maintain a road? ....

View my Photos
Moooboy

2006-01-01          122091

Also did you get a crate? or all ready together? ....

View my Photos
Bob

2006-01-02          122170

Tracy - For those of us trying to learn about tractors, what is a US FEL? ....

View my Photos
affordable

2006-01-03          122172

Bob, that means US made Front end loader,alot better quality than the chinese, more lift capacity, float,
and about a $ 1,000.00 more than the chinese loader, I also think it's worth the extra
Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales Co. ....

View my Photos
WTracy

2006-01-03          122195

http://www.kenotractors.com - talk to Ed or Dave and tell them that I sent you.

I've got a 1/2 mile long gravel driveway. The Jinma with the five foot box scraper worked as smooth as silk. No more rake and shovel - it did a great job. I had a truck and transfer load of 3/4 minues road rock spread after I first graded to road surface to fill in the holes and cut off the center hump. A trick - for the final run, push (go backways) with the box scraper - then the tractor wheels are after the blade and you end up with a nice smooth, professional looking job. Hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
WTracy

2006-01-03          122196

Assembled and ready to go - I wanted the "experts" to be responsible. Doing it myself wasn't worth the savings in $$$ buying hassles later on. ....

View my Photos
WTracy

2006-01-03          122197

Tommy (a knowledgeable expert) was absolutely correct. Forget about the Chinese version. Same goes for the box scraper - worth the extra to go US made and five feet wide with five digging tines (or whatever they are called) ....

View my Photos
WTracy

2006-01-03          122199

Hi Tommy:

Here's two questions for our resident expert. I'd like to put a winch on the front of my #284, but clearance seems to be an issue between the FEL and the chassis. Any suggesteions or ideas? Also, I'd like to get a block heater - the Jinma diesel just doesn't like the cold weather. Any suggestions? I've seen them from $29.95 to over $100. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-01-03          122201

I can offer some words on both questions Mr Tracy. But I suggest you start a topic of your own. You're kinda taking this one away from Mr MoooBoy

//greg// ....

View my Photos
WTracy

2006-01-03          122203

My apologies . . . . ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-01-03          122206

Hey Greg, wtracy started this thread how can he take it away? ....

View my Photos
affordable

2006-01-03          122209

WTracy,I'm normally around you can e-mail me or call me, if you have any question that I may be able to help you with.If you feel the need we can start a new post,I'm not a expert on anything but I'm willing to share any ideas that I may have.

Tommy
Affordable Tractor Sales ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-01-03          122210

My most sincere apologies to Mr Tracy. MoooBoy has active topics requesting Jinma input. I unfortunately mixed them up. Next time it wouldn't hurt if I went back to pg1 of the topic before I say anything like that. Sorry

//greg//

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-01-03          122212

Mr Tracy - regarding the winch, I think the electrical system should be your first consideration. If I'm not mistaken, you've only got a 20A alternator.

Regarding the block heater; NAPA sells a 1-1/4" inline heater that will splice right into your lower radiator hose. A freeze plug type block heater is an alternative, but I've always been afraid of that type leaking or popping out.

What are the winter temps like there? is the tractor stored inside or out? do you use the glow plugs and compression release?

//greg// ....

View my Photos
WTracy

2006-01-04          122223

On second thought Greg, check out the first posting in this string. Who took what away from who?

No offense intended none taken. ....

View my Photos
WTracy

2006-01-04          122224

Sorry Greg, you've gone past tractor 101. What would be the restrictions or impact of a 20 amp alternator.

Concerning the block heater. Overnight temps in the 30s, no bitter cold. I use glow plugs, haven't tried the technique with the compression release. I guess it makes sense to master that first before using the block heater. I must admit I was looking for the lazy man's solution.

Your continued assistance appreciated. Excuse my snappy reply. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-01-04          122237

Ok. Winches need electricity to run. The electricity usually has to come from the vehicle on which they're mounted. You said you're interested in a JM284. I think they weigh in at about 2800#, so that in itself is going to limit you to smaller capacity winches. It's also got an alternator that is sized pretty much to run the lights/horn, and to recharge the battery. The entire electrical system is protected by a single 30A system fuse.

Now take a look at the 6000# model at
http://warn.com/truck/winches/src/M6000.shtml
specifically the amperage draw down at the bottom. The tractor battery will initially provide the amperage to the winch, but the draw will quickly overload the 284's electrical system. If you overfuse, the OE wiring will probably melt. Plus, a 20A alternator probably can't recharge the battery as fast as the winch will discharge it.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
WTracy

2006-01-04          122251

Any workaround or do I just forget about the winch on the 284? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-01-04          122252

You could go hydraulic ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-01-04          122255

Let's start with a more basic question. What would be the intended use for a winch on a compact utility tractor ?

And if your night time temps don't drop below freezing, I'm not sure you actually NEED supplemental heat. The glow plugs, the compression release, and the right engine oil should be sufficient.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
WTracy

2006-01-04          122256

You covered all the bases.

Thanks ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This