Go Bottom Go Bottom

Off topic- refrigerator odor

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-05          147742

We recently purchased a home that came with all the appliances. They all seem to work fine, stove, frig, dishwasher, washer-drier, etc. But, sometime the prior owner must have had the frig unplugged with something in the freezer section that went really bad, the refrigerator section smells fine. I've taken all the removable plastic liner pannels, the little fan, anything that could be removed from the inside of the freezer and scrubbed them with hot water and pinesol. The odor was gone, for a while then came back. We have used probably ten boxes of baking soda in the last couple weeks, but it just keeps getting worse. It's really anice frig, looking to be ten or less years old, so it would be a shame to throw it out, but the wife says out it goes if the stink can't be cured. Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-05          147745

Hardwood, take out the sheet metal again in the freezer section until you find the cooling coils and try a spray solution washing down it completely. You probably will have to wash out the food partials that are rotting in there. Of course outside and unplugged. Would do the same on the refrigerator section as the air moves between the sections on most if not all. Charcoal for grilling is something you can try placing in it to absorb the order first. Some companies did use a charcoal filter in their higher priced models to control order.

With the smell in the freezer section and not the refrigator area that could just be due to more air being pumped into the freezer section and thus more order. If this refrigator has an ice maker, be sure the smell is not in the water going to the ice maker. kt ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-05          147748

Did you clean the drip tray in the bottom?

You might want to use a strong bath and shower mildew cleaner too. On the frig that is. :) tehehe ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-11-05          147760

I found a site that said you might use bleach here is the quote:

"It says here that the drain pan of your refrigerator can be the source of it. I'd clean it out really good. Wash the inside of the refrigerator with soap and water, then after it is clean put a glass or metal bowl with bleach in it and allow it to sit for an hour or so. Because bleach can harm the surfaces of your refrigerator, I don't think applying it directly would be a good idea." ....

Link:   About Mold

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-11-05          147763

Kenny, m' bo' how does a frig or freezeer have air pumped though them?

Reminds of the "Cajun Microwave" the Louisiana shrimpers I hung out with down there had in the back of their pickups. It was a steel box with hot coals in it. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-11-05          147768

Bleach (a dilute solution) would be much more effective than pinesol. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-05          147794

Thanks for the ideas, we will be going to the new place tomorrow for a couple days to do some other work there. I'll try the bleach, it is kind of a kill or cure situation. I learned today that the utility company there will give you a fifty dollar rebate and haul away the old WORKING frig if you buy a certian level of energy effeciant new one. They didn't say it had to smell good for them to haul it away. We don't have internet service there yet, so I'll let you know how it works out later in the week. Frank. ....

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-11-06          147850

Try charcoal briquettes and baking soda...it'll take some time, but it has helped with my outside (beer) fridge before. Or, just replace it and put it out in the garage or shop for your liquid refreshments.

Good luck! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-06          147858

EW, realize you may not have a frost free model yet but they use a fan to move the air over the cooling coil(s). Here when air is pushed we often call it being pumped. It you rather think of it as a gentle breeze that is fine with me.

Hardwood, ..first try "FEBREZE". It is made to kill orders in the air.
There is a pan under the unit the melted ice runs or drips to. They can give off an order but should not show up inside, rather in the room. That being said, there could be a simple rubber or such gate to stop the air from coming it and it be missing or damaged.

Check with a company who treats for mold. They may have a chemical that you are not able to buy.

Other option is one you have already worked with, since you are there and then back home, spray it down good...fill it up with charcoal and baking soda and leave it running. Sooner or later what ever is rotting giving off the foul order will finally rot. Of course that may happen faster if it was off in a warm room with the doors open. Not my suggestion. kt

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-06          147866

We had planned to go there today to work on the smelly firge, but as usual a complication popped up, but we'll go there tomorrow. I'll try the different things that have been suggested. Thanks again, I'll report back. Frank. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-10          148062

Looks like the old frige is kaput. We tried all the things that were suggesated, but it still stinks. It must be in the insulation somehow. The stink is gone for a while, but within a few hours it comes back. I called out utility co., they offer a fifty dollar rebate on a new frige that has the blue "Energy Star" label on it plus will pick up the old "Working" frige and give us thirty five dollars for it. Thanks to all who offered their advice, I guess it was just too far gone. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login