Go Bottom Go Bottom

Finish mowers

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-21          69219

Any suggestions on type of finish mower to buy.
I have a 7500 hst. Will be mowing about 2-3 acres,some trees
to go around.Plan on trying to mulch my leaves as well.
Am I nuts?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Finish mowers

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-21          69221

Just get the mid mount mower and a Trac-Vac and get them off the lawn totally! Tring to go around tree's with a rear mower is difficult. ....

Finish mowers

View my Photos
harvey

2003-11-22          69326

I use a 72" LP side discharge. Mowing around trees is really no big problem. Usually I'll mow toward the tree and turn away so the rear mower swings under the branches.

Also trimming you can back under things. You can also back the mower over ditches to trim them.

With the side discharge you can block othe discharge chute and use it for mulching.

Good Luck Harvey ....

Finish mowers

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-26          69700

grinder, I just finished up mulching the second wave of fallen leaves that I would estimate to be well over a 250 bushels. It took me about 4.5 hours according to the hour meter. I just kept making a patterning starting at the furthest most outside point in the lawn and cutting my way around working in blowing the chopped leaves toward the inside. Then I mowed over the resulting pile and spread it back out blowing it around. The MMM worked best with the high lift blades John Deere I purchased. Not sure if Kubota has such a thing but I would imagine that they do. The high lift/suction blades are critical to doing a good job as they really vacuum up all the leaves and chop them up good. Much cheaper than spending $250 for a mulch kit.

I would stick with the Kubota MMM which is most likely best designed for your tractor. ....

Finish mowers

View my Photos
grinder

2003-11-27          69753

thanks for the imput, I have decided the MMM is the way to go for my yard. Now I just have to buy one.My best price so far is 2175.00 I install the kit.
Do you find the mower deck in the way of using the loader to move and spread dirt? ....

Finish mowers

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-27          69770

Randt, there is a company that builds a set of blades called Gator backs that we sell a lot of. They are great for oding what you did for your leaves as well as chopping up the grass more while mowing. ....

Finish mowers

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-27          69781

Art, have you got a web site link for those blades? Nothing comes up on a google search. My buddy who sold me my tractor told me that those blades don't work as well as the high lift blades because they don't have as much suction power. ....

Finish mowers

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-27          69785

Chief, we buy from a company called"Rotary" they are the biggest in world for that sort of thing, while they don't sell directly to the public they do sell to the industry, dealers, big end users, etc.

They have a 'find your nearest dealer' thing on their website. See link below.

There was another thread about using a mower to collect & mulch leaves recently wherein I described how to add 'propellers' to add high lift to Gator blades.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Rotary Corp.

Finish mowers

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-27          69788

Murf, the find nearest dealer link does not work. I get some kind of server error message. They may have some servers turned off the the holiday. ....

Finish mowers

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-27          69792

Chief, I just re-tried it, it works from here. Try right clicking and specifying "Open in New Window".

If not just try wandering the site itself at www.rotarycorp.com.

Best of luck. ....

Finish mowers

View my Photos
Arkaybee
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-30          69999

Murf: "There was another thread about using a mower to collect & mulch leaves recently wherein I described how to add 'propellers' to add high lift to Gator blades."

I cannot find this thread though I am new and not skilled at the search application. Could you direct me to the thread referred to above about adding "propellers" to the Gator blades.
Thanks for your help.

Finish mowers

View my Photos
trentz71

2003-12-01          70031

Grinder, I use a Land Pride AT-2572 finish mower on my 4 acres. The mower is built heavy and can put down a fine finish. I'm using a New Holland TC-29 and it has no problem turning this mower. ....

Finish mowers

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-01          70033

Ark, I can't find it now either, maybe the coffee's not strong enough this morning.

Anyways, no biggie, what we do is make small propellers, about half the length of the blade itself, they are just flat bar bent in a vice, although balance is critical.

The way they work is to increase air flow through the unit. This does two things, it helps with the mulching, and creates a higher powered stream of air exiting the unit. This latter change means you use the mower to concentrate the mulch in one area, or spread it out so fine it is gone, depending on the pattern you drive in.

Best of luck. ....

Finish mowers

View my Photos
Arkaybee

2003-12-05          70323

Murf: thanks for the reply. As a follow-up, do you weld the "propellers" to the cutting blade or just insert them at right angle (perpendicular) between the blade and the spindle with the same bolt that mounts the blade? In this manner I wonder if the blade mounting bolt is long enough to mount both prop and blade securely (they are special shouldered bolts--its getting more complicated isn't it)

Of course, they could be placed parallel (sandwiched) to and on top of the cutting blade also.

I assume that the metal for these "propellers" can be thinner metal that the blades--say maybe 1/8 inch compared to the 1/4 inch thick blades.

My mower is a Kubota G1800 diesel engine powered 48 inch cutting deck. I use it to chop leaves after I have hauled them to my "chopping ground" and spread them out about 6-12 inches deep. By making 2-3 passes over the leaves in REVERSE I get them to the size I prefer prepatory to composting them or using them as mulch. More suction and air flow would seem to aid this operation.

Thanks for you help. ....

Finish mowers

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-05          70337

We mount them as seperate pieces on the same shaft as the blade, but perpendicular to the blade, kind of like a second smaller blade.

Lighter material for the propellers should work fine, we have MUCH longer spindles on our commercial machines. On a commercial deck blade height is adjusted by moving the spindle up & down by means of moving spacers from below to above the drive hub or vice-versa.

We have found that by using Gators & propellers in combination the leaves are mulched enough in a single pass to be bagged directly, we run a large collection system which uses Rubbermaid 55 gallon garbage cans as collectors. We spot cans every so often along the property and when one can is full it is just swapped out for an empty one.

Best of luck. ....

Finish mowers

View my Photos
grinder

2003-12-06          70398

How is it going around obstacles? trees and swingsets etc.
Thanks ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login