Go Bottom Go Bottom

rotary cutters

View my Photos
bob
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-07-02          5688

I am looking for a good rotary cutter (5' or 6'). Do all brands have stump jumpers? Any good sites on the web? I have seen Bush Hog page and I've heard that it is a good cutter.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

rotary cutters

View my Photos
Alan L.

1999-07-02          5692

I can only comment on my 5 foot Rhino (SE5) cutter. It has been excellent so far. I have mowed some very thick, tall weeds and saplings. I have run over at least 200 trees an inch or so in diameter. It mows prettier than I thought a "brush cutter" would cut. Seems very well made and very durable. I'm using a B2710 to operate it. I recommend this cutter. ....

rotary cutters

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-07-03          5700

I use a Woods M5 "Dixie Cutter. This is your basic 5' bush hog although the Woodsis quite a bit heavier built than the less expensive brands. I got mine used forabout the new price of the cheaper ones....about $500. I wouldn't buy a brushhog used unless it was one of these heavy duty types. And I was reluctant to buy this one, but it has worked out ok.except for a leaky seal in the verticalshaft which I need to replace. Till now I've just been watching the gear oil level.Mine does not have a stump jumper but I don't think it would help in my mowingwhich is mostly pasture and field. When I shear the shear bolt it is usually arock or a chunk of wood sucked up or else mowing the dirt off of a gopher hole.Hate those gopher holes..... My only criteria was that the gear box have lots of lateral support and thatthe three point attaching points have a swinging parallelogram type of mountso that the mower raises and lowers on the horizontal plane, instead of swingingthrough an arc. The M5 has these features. As much as I have used it, I wish Ihad bought a new one. Roger Land lowers level ....

rotary cutters

View my Photos
Rich

1999-07-03          5705

Can you tell me more about the parallelogram link and how it differs from the usual type of three point? ....

rotary cutters

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-07-03          5707

The entire three point attachment can pivot forward around the lower hitch pins.So as the mower is lifted, the upper link can move forward. The continuation ofthe upper link attachment point continues rearward to about 2/3 the length of themower, and is terminated in a pivoted raised mount about 6" above the mowerbody. It is not a true parallelogram, because the sides are unequal. I shouldhave called it a pivoting mount....but I couldn't think of how to describe it! Because it is not a true parallelogram, the self-leveling feature only worksin a small proportion of the hitch's total rotation. But this is sufficient formowing. I suspect that any mower that has a three point attachment where the upperlink is free to pivot and swing frontwards and rear a few inches would work justas well.. Roger L. ....

rotary cutters

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-07-04          5716

Alan, do you ever sharpen the cutter blades? mine are pretty rough and I've beenthinking about going after them with a small grinder. Roger L ....

rotary cutters

View my Photos
Alan L.

1999-07-04          5734

No I haven't tried to sharpen them yet, as it only has 25 or 30 hours on it. ....

rotary cutters

View my Photos
Tom

1999-07-05          5736

Try www.easternfarmmachinery.com they sell them. ....

rotary cutters

View my Photos
rich

1999-07-05          5737

Thanks Roger, I now understand. Thats why my Hico cutter has a slot for the top link attachment. It allows about a three inch slide back and forth. I suspect that is also why some cutters have a pivoting u-shaped link between the top of the mower and the toplink arm. Happy mowing. ....

rotary cutters

View my Photos
rich

1999-07-05          5738

For what its worth, a friend of mine once told me that cutter blades worked better if dull. He said the shattering effect on sapling retarded regrowth. I sharped mine once after I hit a pipe and took some chunks out, but they dulled right down very quickly. I must admit that in spite of this I am tempted periodically to yank them out and grind them, but I have resisted so far and they still cut great. Happy mowing. ....

rotary cutters

View my Photos
Jim

1999-07-06          5774

Hey Bob,look @ KING KUTTER. all I-beam framed, heavy duty tail wheel & stump jumper standard. Out weighs anything in its class. largest selection of sizes. Excellent price and parts support. I think woods cutters are overrated,underbuilt, and overpriced. your paying for thr name & a pretty package.compare the steel in the mowers & the weights. ....

rotary cutters

View my Photos
TRACTORMAN

1999-07-13          5942

LET ME THROW THIS AT YOU GUYS, MY EXPERIENCE IS COMING FROM ALOT OF TIME SPENT BUSH HOGGING, AND SALES OF ABOUT 60 MOWERS A YEAR. IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN INEXPENSIVE MOWER TO CUT MATERIAL UP TO 2" IN DIAMETER, THERE ARE SOME "NO NAMES" SUCH AS KINGKUTTER THAT WILL LAST JUST FINE. I HAPPEN TO SELL INTERNATIONAL BRAND WHICH WITH A SLIP CLUTCH SELLS FOR 700.00. MY CUSTOMERS HAVE HAD GREAT SUCCESS WITH THESE MACHINES. IF YOU WANT A SLIP CLUTCH I WOULD RECOMMEND A MACHINE IN WHICH THE INPUT SHAFT OF THE GEARBOX IS SPLINED TO ACCEPT THE SLIP CLUTCH. FOR MY AG OR COMMERCIAL CUSTOMERS, I USUALLY RECOMMEND THEY GO FOR A MEDIUM OR HEAVY DUTY WOODS MOWER. WOODS HAS A BETTER SYSTEM OF ATTACHING THE BLADES TO THE CROSSBAR THEN OTHER BRANDS. I HAVE HAD BLADE BOLTS BREAK ON BUSH HOGS, INTERNATIONALS ETC., BUT NEVER ON A WOODS. ....

rotary cutters

View my Photos
Greg

1999-07-16          6042

Alot of good comments, will add to NOT buy the el cheapo Howse brand. Very poorly made unit; all the corners that can be cut and then some, Howse found a way to do it. I have one with about 20 hours on it and if it lasts 100 I'll consider myself lucky. It was cheap and I got what I paid for so no complaint in that regard but if you want your unit to last, stay away from Howse. ....

rotary cutters

View my Photos
Cris

1999-07-18          6086

I have a very old JD 4ft mower. I am looking at a new 6ft.FarmhandRC250 for $1200.Anyone have any experience with them?Cris ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login