Go Bottom Go Bottom

3ph finish mower what brand type

View my Photos
Eddie Suckow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-06-27          29643

Anyone got tips for what to look for when shopping for a pull behind finish mower. I am looking at getting a 5' one for mowing about 3 acres of yard around the house. I saw a new red one (bush hog brand?) with adjustable height wheels at each corner for $1400. That's my price range. Any options I should look for when shopping? I've got a Cub 7205 20hp hydro to pull it, can it handle 5'?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Rob Wheeler

2001-06-27          29654

Eddie,

I would favor a rear-discharge design, and look for one with higher blade-tip speeds. The manufacturer's website (Woods, Bush Hog, LandPride, Befco, etc.) will tell you blade tip speed, deck thickness, and other information. I also think that some type of rear guard is worth getting unless you'll be mowing in the middle of nowhere. I pull a 5' Woods with chain guard and the four caster wheel design behind my B2410, though it could handle it 6', so I'm sure your Cub could handle a 5'. If the mower you saw was a new Bush Hog for $1400 that would be a very good deal - they are built very solid, as is the Woods RD-series and the LandPride FDR25-series, among others. ....

View my Photos
Eddie Suckow

2001-06-28          29660

Thanks for the tip on blade tip speed, never heard of that one. I will be looking into the 5' mower for $1400 this weekend. It seemed like a really good deal.
Thanks,
Eddie ....

View my Photos
Rob Wheeler

2001-06-28          29671

No problem. The blades on the rear-discharge mowers are supposedly high-lift, which should help pull up the grass that has been tracked down by the front and rear tires. The higher blade-tip speed makes for better lift. ....

View my Photos
Hans Top

2001-06-28          29682

Eddie I found out after I bought the Bush Hog RDTH-72 that heavier is not better, it is well built but, in my case I have parts of the lawn that stays wet for a longer period of timein the spring. As a result the 72 inch unit weighs about 588 lbs but the gauge/ caster wheels leave a slight impression in the lawn and it leaves small diviots where you change direction due to the caster action of the wheels. My suggestion is if you have wet areas get the lightest machine possible with the widest wheels
Hope this helps ....

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-06-29          29700

The red mower could be a Howse; they are similar if not identical to King Kutter. I have about 35 hours on my 5' King Kutter now, and really like it. They can be found for about $1100. Good luck! Bill Mullens ....

Link:   TC29 and KK mower

View my Photos
Denny Townson

2001-06-29          29704

I recently purchased the Kubota B 2410 with the Landpride 60" rear discharge mower model FDR1560. It has the pneumatic air filled rubber tires, 18,264 fpm blade tip speed weight is 492 #, deck is 10 gauge steel. It does a nice job and I am completely satisfied with it. As a package deal with tractor and other implements, the dealer charged me $1400. ....

View my Photos
Eddie Suckow

2001-07-01          29750

I went to check out the "red" unit that was $1400. It is a WAC brand, model RD 60, made in Italy. A friend got one new for $1300 and loves it. It is a light weight unit, I could pick up one tire by myself no problem. Thanks for the tip on the weight of the unit Hans. Here in Maine the grass isn't really tough to begin with (compared to what I grew up with in FL), so a smooth caster action would be nice on the wheels.

I also noticed a WOODS RD6000 at the dealer, ugh ugh! what a rugger piece of equipment. It even had springs at the top of the wheel shafts, kind of like a shock assembly. But I could even begin to get one of the tires off the ground, probably weighs in at 550lbs. Didn't have a price on it though, probably $1800ish.

Thanks for the tip on the king cutter Bill, will be looking at one soon. It's all just a matter of which one's for me. I'm sure the woods would out last the others (20yrs as opposed to 15 yrs??) but hey, it's just grass!

Thanks all,
ed

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-01          29752

I recently went through this search as I let my Landpride 5 ft go with my old tractor. There are a number of units out there and price can be high. The weight of the deck can be important as it will eventually wear out. Sand in the soil will cut it quite quickly. The weight is not as important as the rigidity of the frame. I have seen a number that are bent. The weight will increase as you weld breaks and splits.
After looking at Landpride, Ford, JD, Woods, and everything else sold in my area I purchased a Buhler Farm-King at the green dealer for $1100. I liked the heavy metal in the deck and the smooth radius bends which reduce build up of grass. ....

View my Photos
Rob Wheeler

2001-07-01          29753

Weight of the unit may or may not be a problem. It sounds like Hans has had a problem where he mows with just taking a turn and having the caster wheels catch turf. I could see where that would occur if it was wet enough, but I haven't seen that problem in either of the areas I mow. What I have found is that I need to be careful in changing directions (forward/reverse) or else I may damage the turf. This is because the caster wheels need to rotate 180 degrees and re-orient themselves when you back up - if I try to do this too fast, I can have problems. As far as brands go - hey, there are probably a bunch of them that would work out in a homeowner-type application. I'll take my chances with my (ugh ugh) Woods RD6000. ....

View my Photos
Michigander

2001-07-02          29759

If you are looking for an inexpensive unit, check out the Caroni finish mowers from Agri-Supply. Their 5' units are $867, rear or side discharge, and weigh just over 400 lbs. If your lawn is soft, order the air tire option for a couple of extra bucks as they normally come with hard rubber wheels. They will ship anywhere for a pretty reasonable cost. They also have a Mulch Kit available. While these may be less rugged than Woods or Landpride, they are much cheaper. I use the 91 inch model with my TC40D and it works pretty well. Agri-Supply is very good to work with as well. ....

Link:   Caroni Mower

Picture Link
Mowers Field and Finish 3ph finish mower  what brand type

View my Photos
Peters

2001-07-02          29760

Most of the movers are fairly good. You need to look as the ease of greasing etc.
I think what I was looking at was value. The Landpride which I owned was heavily constructed and was used as a mover by the Army Core of Enginneers in a Kentucky park, before I bought it. They traded it for a Bulher. I used it 3 years and it was still in good shape when I sold it. I am not sure that the Bulher will perform as well but it has the heavy bearing and rigid mower deck I was looking for. The price was right and the quality was there.
I have always looked at the Woods as the dealer is the one I use for grain. It is a good mower, but I have never see it as a good value.
Peters ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Eddie Suckow

2001-07-02          29761

I hear ya Peters. Just called a dealer on the Woods RD6000. It is $1850 with the chains! Wow. I can't justify that much $$ for my first mower. I'm still looking for a king cutter dealer in Maine, they appear to be a nice mower for the $$. The major difference I see between the more expensive mowers and the cheaper mowers is that the cheaper ones use a slip clutch in the main shaft while the higher$$ woods use the belt drive. The belt drive appears to be more friendly and reliable. If that slip clutch rusts up, no more slipping!
Ed ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login