Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Grooming Mower

View my Photos
kgberman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-07-27          164385

I'm looking to buy a 72" grooming mower. We are cutting about 5 acres of mostly level ground with a Kubota 3940. Any suggestions or things to look for.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New Grooming Mower

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-07-27          164388

Mowers are the most common attachments for compact tractors so you'll have no trouble. Your big decision is mid-mount or rear mount, and the pros and cons of each were explored in another recent post here.

The usual kind is the rotary, but with a large acreage that you want to keep well trimmed, consider what golf courses use for the finest cut and a wider cutting path: a gang of 3 or 5 ground-driven reel mowers. Mine were made by Toro.

New Grooming Mower

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-07-27          164389

KG;
I use a Land Pride 72 in. rear mount. It is a good rugged machine but not a front lawn machine. I doubt that any rear mount will do as well as a mid mount on uneven ground. I use mine for road ditch and field border mowing. Frank. ....

New Grooming Mower

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-07-27          164392

I have never used a mid mount mower on a tractor but know both sets of wheels running over grass before a rear mount dill press the grass before it is cut. I have and used a good bit a 72" Bushhog Brand RFM and am very pleased with the cut.

All of this is on RFM and might not apply for Mid Mount. Height adjustment is normally a set of different spacers to adjust the height, not a change on the go system. PTO shaft should come with it. How hard is it to grease the blade spindes? Do you want a side discharge or rear one? Does it have a floating mount design? How thick is the deck? The following probably will vary very little from one brand to another but you need to know: How hard is it to change the blades? How much do they cost?

On RFM you may wish to know if the tires are air filled or solid.

New Grooming Mower

View my Photos
kgberman

2009-07-27          164402

Thanks for the in put guys. I'm not looking for a golf course finish so a rear mount is what I'm looking for. The Land Pride FRD1672 and Woods RD72 look about the same on paper. The LP has a little thicker deck and it looks like getting to the belt and spindle grease fittings is easier, they are about the same price (2K). Anyone have any experence with either one?

Lou ....

New Grooming Mower

View my Photos
harvey

2009-07-27          164406

What nice about LP you can get factory Hi-Lift blades. I mow right along at 3.5" and yes you can see where tractor has been. But the grass is pulled up and cut.

Besides the neighbors will get tractor track envy.

I also mow diffrent patterns every time. ....

New Grooming Mower

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-07-27          164426

You may find Bushhog to be less due to how close you are to them. But ask who owns Bushhog now. They were having some issues. But wow there are just too many of their mowers out there parts to be not be made by someone. ....

New Grooming Mower

View my Photos
batman

2009-08-06          164700

KG,
The Woods does have a few advanatages over the 1672 Landpride. The deck is shaped to allow closer trimming. The deck has deeper side frames to handle more mat'l. The center spindle is forward which puts the CG closer to the tractor. The Woods deck has a larger deck rail which makes it stiffer. The weights are equal so there isn't any more steel in the Landpride. Woods offers chain shielding as an option even though it passes safety standards without. I mowed with both brands since the dealer sold both but I actual paid more for the Woods since the literature made sense plus they have been around alot longer. ....

New Grooming Mower

View my Photos
kgberman

2009-08-06          164702

Thanks for the info Batman, I was leaning to Woods so this made up my mind. ....

New Grooming Mower

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-08-07          164731

KG;
I recognized the model number of the Land Pride as being a rear discharge model, did you get a rear discharge in the Woods? I just wondered how you liked that feature. I've never had a rear discharge but always wondered how well they work.

Thanks, Frank. ....

New Grooming Mower

View my Photos
kgberman

2009-08-07          164744

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 164731
KG;I recognized the model number of the Land Pride as being a rear discharge model, did you get a rear discharge in the Woods? I just wondered how you liked that feature. I've never had a rear discharge but always wondered how well they work.Thanks, Frank.

Frank,
We just started using the rear discharge Woods and love it. Don't have to worry about what direction you mow and it cuts as neet as our belly mowed but a lot faster.

Lou

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login