Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B7510 Transporting a finishing mower

View my Photos
hayley3
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-06-20          143064

Hi,
I need some ideas for getting my broken finishing mower to the shop. Unfortunately Kubota charges $350.00 just to come and get it. I have a 5x8 trailer with a ramp but I was told it wouldn't hold the weight of the tractor to load the mower on it. I own a Ford ranger also. My knowledge here is very limited. There's got to be a way to transport it that I'm not aware of.
I really need some ideas.
Thanks,
Susie

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-20          143065

You mention that the finish mower is broken. Would it be possible to just take the mower deck to the dealer for repairs which may fit on your trailer?

It is always good to have friends with larger trucks and heavy capacity trailers. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-06-20          143067

Looks like you have a Kubota B7510, you should have no problem removing that on a concrete garage floor.

Do you have the instructions that came witht the deck?

Dennis ....

View my Photos
hayley3

2007-06-20          143068

Okay, a mechanic friend of mine says he doesn't know how to get it into the trailer because he can't use the gate as a ramp. He can't lift the mower deck into the trailer without using the tractor. That's our problem. The 3 pt hitch doesn't lift up the mower enough to drop it into the trailer because the wheels catch on the top edge of the trailer.

I have a small compact tractor with a 54" finishing mower. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-06-20          143069

Does your tractor have a Front End Loader? ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-06-20          143070

I guess this is a 3 point hitch mower rather than a mid mount. I am pretty sure two people could lift my Kubota MMM 60 inch deck.

If you have a loader you can use it to lift it as Mark pointed out.

I once loaded a garden tractor on a 5 by 8 trailer without ramps by finding a slope where I could back the trailer up to it and used some wood planks to ride over, worked great. ....

View my Photos
hayley3

2007-06-20          143071

No front end loader.

He did mention finding a low spot for the trailer to see if the wheels would clear then.

I bought the tractor from Kubota because he told me they serviced their tractors, but the salesman didn't mention the cost of pickup. I didn't even think about that part. Duh... ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-06-20          143074

Sounds like you need a 3pth "boom pole" sometimes called a "gin pole".

It is basically a long arm with a hook at the end that you put on the 3pth and acts like a baby crane. They're a real back-saver, and handy as the dickens for such tasks as this.

They should be available locally (TSC, Ag. equipment dealers, etc.) and generally cost about $150.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-06-20          143076

TSC has one for $89, says it will lift up to 500 pounds.

Murf, with about 300 or so pounds out that far do you need the front end loader on with some gravel in it for ballast? ....

Link:   TSC Boom Pole

View my Photos
hayley3

2007-06-20          143077

Sounds like it's exactly what I need.
Great idea! I hope I can find one.

Susie ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-06-20          143078

I have a dirt road with a higher field on the side I can pull a trailer beside and set something onto and off of the trailer with the tractor's 3 pt. You may have a bank or small hill you can use the same.

But, as simple as a RFM is, could it not be fixed there?

Dennis, note the line: No Front End Loader. Your point on weight on boom pole is true. So is the amount of weight you can pick up at the end compared to closer to the tractor. kt ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-06-20          143081

Do you have any large trees with sturdy limbs. Drive the tractor beneath and disconnect the deck. Toss a chain or two over the limb and use a come-along ($25.00) or so and raise it up. A second person can balance it while you back the trailer beneath and lower it down. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-06-20          143083

Dennis, out what far?

If you look at the picture carefully, the part between the lower links and upper link is meant to be vertical. That means that at best the upper portion goes out at a 45° from the tractor. Add to that the fact that since the upper link is much shorter than the lift arms, as the load goes up it also tilts back, causing the load to move in closer to the tractor still.

I used one a lot as a kid on a little Ford Jubilee, most times the load was right against the lower part of the boom pole when it was all the way up.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
leejohn

2007-06-20          143085

My god how far away are you from the dealer? $350.00 sure seems like alot. I don't know if I would take it to him anyway. If its 350 for just the pickup I would hate to guess what the bill well be. Lee ....

View my Photos
bvance

2007-06-20          143088

Here's an idea from the village idiot....I've always said that nobody is totally worthless, at the very least they can serve as a bad example :) So here goes a bad idea:

When the trailer is unhitched, can you rotate it up with the tongue in the air and slide the mower up on the other end of the trailer that would be lying on the ground and just beyond the 50% point of the mower on the trailer and then a couple of guys pull the trailer down and hitch it and then finish sliding it onto the trailer? I wouldn't think the mower would weigh enough not to slide it a bit?

Just a bad idea from the village idiot....

I like the idea about the come a long....I've used one for any number of unbelievable tasks and most of them pretty stupid now that I think about it....but they always worked!

Brian ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-06-21          143091

When I was in college I had a job as a dock builder working on building a large span bridge for the New Jersey Turnpike. When building the bridge supports the carpenters frequently used come alongs on the massive wooden forms. They were quick to point out that the "rookie green kid" or me should never put any part of his body along side the come along cable and that I should stand behind it if I wanted to stay in one piece. Tensioned cable snaps are not compassionate.

I used to go around by myself picking up heavy crane parts with an old pick up for my crew that were much too heavy for one or even two people. The standard method was to always carry a couple of 3/4 in. plywood sheets in the pickup bed to form a ramp where the heavy object could be dragged into the truck sorta like the eqyptians built the pyramids. It was good to be young and strong ;-)

Dennis ....

View my Photos
hayley3

2007-06-21          143097

I am going to hunt for a boom thing tomorrow. There is a TSC and Orscheln's that I can go to. Do they fit on compact tractors?
The come along is a good idea too.
The bank idea would work if you had the right bank.

I live at least 50 miles away from the Kubota dealership and it is $1 a mile and $33.00 an hour. You have to figure that 4 times, coming to pick it up and then returning it.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas!
Susie ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-06-21          143101

hayley, back to YP on the first reply, you might have neighbor who could haul it for less than dealer or has a loader who could load it and of course unload it.

Of course there is the idea you would use the come along or boom pole for something. Both are worth having. A thought if you go with the come along, they can be used to pull either a pickup or small tractor from a small bog if it is large enough. kt

View my Photos
hayley3

2007-06-23          143144

Here's what he did:

He stuck a large wood post under the gate where the bed and the gate meet, so that it wouldn't give when he drove up on it. It worked. We just happened to have a couple of those posts.

Another method that would've worked is attaching a chain or cable to the top link and then get on the front side of the trailer and use the tractor to pull it up the ramp with somebody guiding it. That's how the tractor place got it off of the trailer.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I'm still gonna get me one of those booms when I find one.
Thanks again! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login