Go Bottom Go Bottom

Why women live longer than men

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-26          97230

How did this guy live this long?

Link:   Dumb guy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
grassgod
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-26          97238

Yikes Ken! But then again the guy does look to be about 300 lbs & solid so if that little Nissan flatbed did fall he'd probably just throw it off of him like the way he got it on to those 4x4's in the first place....LOL ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-26          97239

Maybe, unless the fuel tank he's welding blows up first :) ....

View my Photos
cerberus
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-26          97240

He's got it chocked . So it looks safe to me :)
Wonder how He got it up there in the first place . ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-26          97242

Wonder if those tires popped a bead against that curb...

That would be enough to solve the problem.

Darwin was right about some things. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-09-27          97250

More Darwin: He probably had a tandem load of sand delivered, asked the driver to wait to take back some excess, drove the truck up on it, installed the 4x4 and shoveled out the other side. Uhm, in the past five years two families in our township of 250 persons lost family due to having vehicles fall on them. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-09-27          97254

That just has the makings of a Real Bad Thing. The gas tank blows up, blows the chocks out, the truck lands on him, and the whole thing burns.
Bill ....

View my Photos
jdcman

2004-09-27          97258

Looks like real nice digital art work to me. Check out the shadows. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-27          97265

The shadows look OK to me.

After spending many years working in the Islands that picture is no surprise, nor is it anywhere near the worst case of vehicular stupidity I have seen.

One of my all time favourites was the guy who used to jack up his truck and leave it idling in reverse all day while he worked. When we finally found someone to translate, the story was, the truck was his brothers (or brother-in-law) and the owner was in the US working, he had left the keys behind, but warned the family that NOBODY was to drive it. He thought if he drove it to work then left it idling in reverse all day it would 'undo' the mileage he was racking up.

When he was told leaving the truck idling in gear with the tires in the air was unsafe, his reaction was to put a chain around a tree and through the front tow hook, just in case.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
jdc

2004-09-27          97266

It's actually the lack of shadow --- the light appears to becoming from about the 11 o'clock position. Look at the welder, posts, etc..

Also look at the base of the post, what's the load working against?

Also, the arc appears to be without it's characteristic blue halo. Saturation could be the problem here, but I doubt it.

To bad there's not enough resolution to enlarge the photo, but I very much doubt this is real life.

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-27          97269

The shadows all appear to be in perspective from here, they all fall in the same line. The shadow from the upper rear tire is directly below the other rear tire, and the shadow from the 'jack stands' are also in the same direction. As for the base of the post, the asphalt in most developing countries is VERY rough, a post would easliy stay in that position.

The 'blue halo' is the result of smoke from burning flux, depending on the rod he's burning htere may not be much smoke, and in even a slight breeze it would disipate very quickly.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-09-27          97270

I'm with Murf, it looks to be a legitimate photo. There appears to be way too much going on for someone to fake this photo unless they had a lot of time on their hands. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-27          97273

Besides, if anyone has ever spent even a short amount of time in developing countries they would know, there is NO reason to try to create an elaborate fake like that, all you need to do is spend $1 on a local bus ride and take a camera.

That sort of behaviour is all too common.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-09-27          97277

I agree with Murf on this one. Developing areas can be a touch lax on the safety we usually take for granted. Go for a drive through the countryside in China.

On the other hand, we aren't too shabby here in the US. I remember when I was installing new 3-way light switches in the bedroom. I was too lazy to go down stairs and kill the power since I'd have to shut the whole house down due to how badly it was wired. Wife asked me if I had flipped the breaker. I said nope, no worries. I then attempted to attach the last wire to the switch. It looked like the 4th of July with all the sparks flying!! Wife was scared speachless. Then she got mad when I said "no problem, now the breaker is flipped." And really mad when she saw the burn marks on the fresh painted wall.

She what I was when she married me. ....

View my Photos
jdcman

2004-09-27          97278

You guys ever hear of Photoshop??? Very powerful program. A little bit of skill and lot's of imagination can generate some amazing results. Perhaps my own prior experience is the reason for my skepticism when it comes to digital images.

BTW, what's the speculation on how he got it up on two wheels to begin with?

I apologize if this has already been stated, but I'm not a full card carrying member so I can't see the full responses.

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-27          97279

I have a really nice pair of leather gauntlets I 'liberated' from a Hydro worker in payment for pulling him out of the ditch one snowy evening. He thought it was a great deal, he got out of the ditch without calling a wrecker, or getting a ribbing from the other guys he works with, and I got a new pair of insulated gloves.

The label says they are tested to 2,500 volts, I routinely test them to 220 volts. They pass.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-27          97281

To get it up on two wheels he probably enlisted the help of some beer drinking buddies. That's what I would do :) ....

View my Photos
jdcman

2004-09-27          97282

>> To get it up on two wheels he probably enlisted the help of some beer drinking buddies. That's what I would do :)

Okay --- I can understand not having all the appropriate safty tools / supports, but at least I'd have the buddies standing as close to the vehicle as possible, just in case --- wouldn't you?

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-09-27          97283

At least keep the beer under the truck with you so they have to lift it up again to get another one! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-27          97284

>> Okay --- I can understand not having all the appropriate safty tools / supports, but at least I'd have the buddies standing as close to the vehicle as possible, just in case --- wouldn't you?

From the picture it looks like they ran out of beer. I'm sure his buddies went on a beer run. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-27          97285

LOL AV8R - that was a good one! Sort of like a fail safe. If they had done that you could almost call it good planning :) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-27          97286

If there's one thing those guys know, it's how to keep beer COLD. There's no way they would leave it out in the warm air for long.

His buddies are more likely across the street in some little two-bit bar, sitting in the shade sipping a few cold ones and playing dominoes waiting for him to finish the repairs so that all 12 or so of them can pile in that poor old truck and head of some where.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-09-27          97289

Be nice guys, you're ethnic profiling!! Naughty, Naughty! ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-27          97291

I think the beer is in the right side of the pickup box. They've probably been getting advice from tractorpoint and know the value of ballast.
Dave ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-27          97292

There's no ethnicity involved, BELIEVE me, the white folks are as bad as everybody else is.

It is best summed up by an anecdote my lawyer in the Bahamas told me when I complained about how long it would take to close the deal on my house, he is, BTW, a white Bahamian.

A Bahamian and a Mexican were chatting, comparing their countires & cultures, they both agreed they came from similar countries, warm climates, simple, God-fearing people, similar family values, etc, the two countries both had little but tourism to support the economy.

When they got to 'work ethics' the Mexican said they were pretty laid-back, the Bahamian stated they were also, the Mexican, not to be outdone, said they were world-famous because of their laid-back attitude, so much so that the world over, the Spanish word "maņana" literally meaning "tomorrow" has now come to mean "whenever we get to it". Proudly, the Mexican then asked if they had any such phrase as that in the Bahamas.

The Bahamian answered without even pausing "Tomorrow? No way man, we're NEVER in that much of a rush!"

He wasn't kidding either.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-27          97301

That's funny Murf. Ken - I really enjoyed this picture...Thanks for sharing it! ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-09-28          97304

Let me preface this post first with a disclaimer that this is in no way shape or form meant to be politically incorrect, but rather an observation made first hand by my brother.
My brother does heating and AC work mainly on new houses down in the rich part of VA. These houses are in the millions. Anyway, they were putting in the duct work when a Mexican (roofer I think) came up to him and asked if they could have a piece of their GALVANIZED sheet metal. He gave them a piece and they proceeded to bend it and place it over top of a propane heater and heat up beans and some type of tortilla placed directly on the metal. My brother said the fumes off the metal was enough to gag you much less eat something off of it. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-28          97319

I employ Mexicans also. One of them is Chieppo. Everyday at lunch time he sitts with the Greenca's & watches them eat lunch. When they are threw, He eats any scraps left over like pizza crust etc. He doesn't like to spend money. He is paid the same rate as some of the white men. He western unions 85% of his income to Mexico. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-09-29          97379

I dunno if can classify lazy to just certain ethnic backgrounds. In our town, we had a bad hailstorm in 2003. Everyone got new roofs paid for by the insurance company including the UAW local hall. Most homes in town took a mexican crew about 2 days to strip and re-shingle. The UAW hall done by a union crew took 2 weeks. Even union members were embarrassed. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-29          97389

I have a white man that works for me & he is an amazingly good worker! Everyday he works circles around the 2 mexicans I have. Work ethic's shouldnt vary from race. We employ Mexicans simply because they are steady workers & show up everyday on time. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-29          97392

We have Mexican, Jamaican and Haitian labourers at the farm, I hire them on occaissionally to help with big jobs, like we have going now cleaning up after floods from the left-overs of the hurricanes coming through.

They all work very hard, mind you though, we're VERY fussy about who we hire.

They're a bunch of hard-working people trying to make a better life for their families.

They also can't believe how much they get paid and how easy the work is, compared to what they'd be doing back home.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login