Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-10          88278

Do any of you folks have one of these LP powered things? Do they work? Are they worth the big dollars that they cost? ($200 to $1000+)

I'm thinkin' I can buy alot of OFF for that kind of money!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-10          88290

I have been real suspicious of DEET ever since I left some in my tackle box over the winter. It ate EVERYTHING that was plastic.

Parts of a good quality fishing reel collapsed when I touched it and the fishing line looked like quartz sand.

I have heard the propane powered traps are quite effective, but I haven't tried one. ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-06-11          88294

Personally..I think they are a double edged sword. A neighor has one called "mosquito magnet" and he has more mosquitos than I do. It kills them..BUT..attracts them as well. I use a different technique. I put up bird houses and have 4 families of swallows raising kids here. They work out every day right over the property and my mosquito troubles are minimal.

Mark, don't mix deet & plastic. Problem solved.

Mike ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-06-11          88302

I bought the "Mosquito Deleto" last year by Coleman. It didn't work for me. It carried a 60 day satisfaction guarantee, so it was returned. The directions say that placement is important. You need to get it placed out of the wind and in a sheltered area in some bushes for shade and dampness. I thought I had a perfect setting. In addition to the propane burner, it had some attracting agent to be put in a cup. Sounded good but only had about a dozen in the tray after about a month.

While taking my lab for a walk last night I found a dead crow next to the sidewalk. The mosquitoes have been terrible with all of the rain this year. I've heard that the "Mosquito Magnet" works well but is about twice the price of the Deleto. Over at the farm, I have several families of swallows along with bats. It still don't help. We maybe it does, but need allot more of them.

Years ago, they (scientists) said Deet was effective but hazardous. So the percentage of Deet was kept low. Now that we have the "Nile" thing going on higher concentrations of Deet now seem OK.

I'm trying some sprays that I got from a Rite-Aid drug chain without Deet. Will reply with my test data. That is if the "Nile" don't get me. ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-06-11          88304

My wife always gets the latest everything. So when the neighbor bought one (not sure of the name offhand - but it is green and cost around $500) she had to have one. The neighbor swears by it. So she bought it even though I wasn't happy about it.

Last year there were lots of mosquitos in it but we still had some attacking us - my wife argued that the placement wasn't correct. This year with new placement we haven't had many mosquitos - but I noticed that there weren't many even when this thing ran out of gas. Also - it hasn't caught that many in the net.

The jury is still out on this thing. I will need the entire summer to evaluate it. But I have a nagging thought that this was a wasted $500. ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-06-11          88310

Thanks everyone. You are begining to confirm my suspicions, that these traps may in fact collect SOME mosquitos, but they are not the wonder that they are advertized to be.

Are there any good "home brew" type insect repellants you've heard of, or should I just stay with the deet? The skeeters this year are nearly unbearable around here!! ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-11          88312

Mike, as I am sure you are aware, my point (which was a little oblique) is that if DEET dissolves fishing line what the hell is it doing to our innards?

I have a friend who still lives in Alaska (someone Wildman knows too) who eats garlic by the clove. Sometimes at parties he will let mosquitoes land on his arm while everyone watches. As soon as the insect starts to draw blood it falls to the ground dead.

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-11          88315

Mark, are you sure it's the garlic and not what he's drinking at those parties that's doing in those Mossies?

As for Mosquitoe Magnets, a neighbour of mine has one, she empties that little bag every morning and gets quite a few every day.

I personally subscribe to the natural approach like Wildman, I proved Swallow-nominiums for my feathered mosquito-eating friends. Besides, as a pilot I find the aerial antics VERY entertaining, I often spend an evening on the patio with a glass of wine and just watch them flit around.

Best of luck. ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
mark fleming
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-17          88752

I looked at consumer review on the web for awhile and decided not to get one. The reviews were all over the board, everything from catching hundreds per night to never catching a thing. I put up swallow boxs and bat houses. Now if I can just get my neighbor to empty the water out of his aluminum boat (it's a mosquito factory). ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
JLHall

2004-06-18          88845

myself being stuck in the backwoods where the neighbors sre all mosquitoes think the traps call more to you area than they delete. yes there still are rural areas in Florida :)

i agree with the feller that said i can get a tanker of off for that long green. oh one thing else about off and or deet. beside eating plastic it surely will strip all the nice finish off that quality firearm stock or your mothers heirloom cherry dining table. so beware.

skeeters i hear are also color sensitive? not sure but with encephilitis rampant here its worth looking into.

best regards, John ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-06-22          89126

After spending $500 for the Mosquito Magnet, and after 2 positionings to try to make it more effective, there were still a few mosquitos attacking me while sitting around the pool. My wife brought out a can of "Off" to spray around the area. I repeated a comment to her from this thread - that she could have bought a truckload of "Off" for what we spent on this mosquito magnet. But my wife is undeterred. She thinks there must be something that needs adjusting - maybe we are out of the attractant - maybe another repositioning? :) ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-22          89131

Maybe you need to educate the mosquitoes about the trap.

If the mosquitoes don't know they're supposed to fly into it how can it work? (;l)

ROFLMAO.

Best of luck. ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-06-22          89160

I use Buzz Off. It's all natural oils, smells good, works great for about 3 hours if your working and is owned and made in the USA by native americans. Here's a link, it's on all store counters up here. I don't know about other states. They also make it for animals. No I'm not pumping the product, just letting those that work outside in on a great product. ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2004-06-22          89163

I used a propane fogger ONCE; killed mosquitos and everthing else in a 1 acer lot.
I wasn't very popular with the kids when the birds fell out of the tree's. :( ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
jkjordan

2004-06-22          89167

>Now if I can just get my neighbor to empty the water out
>of his aluminum boat (it's a mosquito factory).

Mark,

Sneak over there and toss in a Mosquito Dunk (Home Depot, coop, etc) or something. Floats on the water and slowly releases a biological agent fatal to the larvae but harmless to everything else, or so they claim.

JKJ ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-06-26          89380

The saga continues. My wife talked to the neighbor about her mosquito magnet. Seems it stopped working this year and she called the company. They asked her to put a tissue near the intake to see if it got sucked in. It didn't (apparently there is a fan problem with these units )and they are sending her a new unit. My wife called mosquito magnet - repeated the test (and failed) and we are getting a new unit. Maybe in a few years we will get this thing to work. I could have bought another attachment for the $500 we spent on this :) ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-26          89384

Sounds like the mosquito magnet really sucks. Or really doesn't suck, which sucks... oh never mind.

I live just above a river basin with swamps and flooded pastures. Mosquito's are a real problem... even here in the desert.

About once a month the county or state hires a helicopter to drop those larvae killing crystals on the standing water in the pastures and we are seeing some relief this year.

Now.. anybody know how to neutralize horse flies? ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
TomG

2004-06-27          89420

Swallows and dragon flies make excellent traps. If you have any in your area promoting a few in your yard sure helps cut down the bugs. So does mowing the grass short as well as getting rid of any standing water. Rain barrels and old tires make bunches of bugs.

We put up a few houses for tree swallows at our camp. Works really well and the swallows take exception to us being on our deck only occasionally. Many agents that kill mosquito larva probably kill dragon fly larva as well. ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
Murf

2004-06-28          89493

Mark, I don't recall the name of it, but there is a plant which is native to your type of climate which is of the same family as the Venus Flytrap.

This particular type plant I came across on a course we were building. They too had a problem with Horse Flys. Notice I said "had". They planted a bunch of these plants and solved the problem. The drawback was you had to plant them a little bit away from areas frequented by humans. It seems this plant attracts it's prey by producing a fluid which has the same odour as decaying flesh, a natural attractant for flies of any stripe.

Of course those sticky strips work good too, but their not as interesting.

Best of luck. ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-06-29          89592

I had a smoke system on my Pitts S1S and our Decathalon. I'd fill it with insect fogging agent and buzz the strip (we live on a fly-in sub-division)with smoke on. About 8 pass's and the deed was done..no skeeters for weeks.

Then there's the idiot who sprayed himself with bear repellent before venturing forth into bear country. He didn't get further than where he sprayed himself. ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
bellaterra

2004-07-04          90036

Take a fabric softner sheet like Bounce or any other brand and wipe on any exposed skin. Then put the used sheet in your shirt pocket or belt loop and it'll keep the mosquito's at bay. Smells lots better than sprays...and it "does indeed work". ....

Mosquito Traps

View my Photos
jamesrm1

2004-07-09          90409

They say that mosquitos are born and raised in the a 2 acre area. So if you kill the locals, except for those that come in on the wind, you should minimize the population to very few. Which could explain why after a season you would find few skeeters in the machine. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login