Go Bottom Go Bottom

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-25          86797

One of our local Twin Cities radio personalities uses the “cylinder index” to judge a person’s stature in life.

Taken from the link below: “a guy's perceived self-worth increases in direct proportion to the number of internal combustion cylinders under his or her control, i.e., their Cylinder Index.” Simply put you can count up the number of cylinders present in the mechanisms that you own and determine your cylinder index and thus your self-worth. As a rule of thumb, everyone should try to keep his cylinder index higher than his age.

I assume that this is directly analogous to the women’s “shoe index,” although from personal experience she will need to maintain a number at least eight times her age.

What is your cylinder index?

Link:   Institute for Cylinder Appreciation

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-25          86799

No contest. Murf wins. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-05-25          86805

I also expected Murf to top this one. :-)

OK, I'll start. Age -> 49, CI -> 92 ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-25          86806

I'm 47 with a lowly CI of 23. Woe is me :( ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-25          86807

Wait! Do guns count? Aren't they internal combustion devices? ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-05-25          86809

I'm 55 with a 62 cylinder index. I agree that Murf will most probably win. Ken, if we count guns you will only get further behind, especially if revolvers count as 6 shooters. Sorry!

Shortmagnum, and I thought I had allot of stuff to fix all of the time. Sounds like you're a pretty successful dude. I'm jealous!! ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-05-25          86812

Successful? I'm not so sure. If I broke it down to dollars spent per cylinder owned it would be a very low rating. :-)

Plus 16 of them are two recently rebuilt V8s sitting on engine stands. Other than those, everything else runs and is used.

Ken, guns don't count, nor do air compressors (a gas motor powering them counts though). Wankel engines also count because they have spark plugs. Of course diesels count. I'm a little disappointed in the website I gave above. Some of the pages aren't working. They're kind of fun. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-05-25          86813

Age 41 CI max was 97 until recently sold three tractors now down to 85. Hope to get it back up soon. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-05-25          86814

On a similar note, my wife subscribes to the “Men’s Compensation Theory”. That is to say: “That the size of a man’s (you know what) is inversely proportional to the size of their truck (or tractor)”. Therefore, the bigger the truck (or tractor), the smaller their (you know what).

This was part of my reasoning for going with a “compact” utility tractor, didn’t want anyone jumping to an incorrect assumption ;-)

By the way, “kw” I have you beat for a new low. Age 38, CI 15. Woe to me.

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-25          86815

I think I'm going to cause too much "Cylinder Envy" with this one, and I'm sure my age is going to only make it worse...

I'll ease into it slowly, I was born in the 60's and my CI is DEFINITELY into the triple digits, in fact just what's at home is tickling 3 digits.

Best of luck. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-05-25          86843

Man I feel bad now, just turned 50 as if thats not bad enough my ci is 23 counting the chain saw. You sure it isn't the age your mate should be??? Murf wouldn't be laughing then, now would he?? I always went by the keys ya had. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
bnrhuffman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-26          86872

I looks like Im exactly right where I should be. Im 38 with a CI of 38, a couple of the items are disassembled but all of the engines will run.
I turn 39 in 3 weeks. What should I buy now? ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-05-26          86883

Age 32 and ci is 22. It has been as high as 32 but had to clean out the shed and the wife said the S-10 p/u had to go. A new full size p/u may be in the future though. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-26          86893

Lucerne, actually my (second) wife is a little younger than I am, but your probably right though...

Maybe we should sub-divide the CI so that we can clarify the 'play' items from the 'working' items, we could use a DCI (Diesel Cylinder Index) and a GCI (Gas Cylinder Index) to see if the old 'Boys & their toys' adage holds true.

So lets see, not counting 'company' cylinders, because that wouldn't be a fair measure.

Age = 39, DCI = 42, GCI = 62

Fuel bill..... priceless, LOL.

Best of luck. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-26          86897

Gee Murf. You sounded older than that. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-26          86899

I feel older than that.....LOL.

I guess a heart-attack at 37 didn't help any.

I just look at it as a head start at old age, get it all over with early and enjoy the rest of the time, God willing.

Best of luck. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-26          86902

My dad had a bad one at 39, nearly died.

He lived and worked another 32 years or so and would still be percolating if he hadn't over-indulged with booze on a daily basis. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-05-26          86904

Murf: Most of us figured you were older because of your display of wisdom and experience while comments about a heart attack make one automatically assume that you are in your 50's and 60's. The important thing is your feeling better and life is good. You have a very high DCI

I've always done things the hard way. My DCI is only 3 and the rest is GCI. Only 30 of them are from cars and trucks while the rest is one and two cylinders at a time. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-05-26          86910

I'm sure most of us have a DCI of 2,3 or 4.

Whenever I buy something new (or new for me) I tell my wife "Imagine the money you'll make at the estate auction. All this stuff you call junk will be worth a fortune."

I don't think she's buying that line.
Dave ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2004-05-26          86912

Reading some of the previous posts now I don't feel so bad. I guess I kinda fit in except for guys like Murf. LOL. ;-)

Age -> 47 CI -> 25 ( DCI -> 3 GCI -> 22 ) ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2004-05-26          86924

So far looks like I am clocking in at last place (of those with the "ah'em" to actually come out and say it)
Age 34, CI: 20; - DCI: 3; GCI:17. Even threw in the weedeater and pushmower. But since I affirm to the axiom "its cheaper (to run / maintain) if its electric, I dont feel so bad. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-05-26          86928

Not so fast, I thought I had last place wrapped-up. At Age 38, I had a CI of 15. I also, had to include the weed-eater, push-mower and, the car that technically belongs to my wife just to get there :-) My DCI is 3.

Ya know, this thread is really doing nothing to elevate my self-worth, or boost my ego :-(

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-26          86936

Mark, unfortunately I had a crap-shoot to start with, genetics set the rules, we can only improve the odds a little.

Everyone on my mother's side of the family were very long-lived and enjoyed great health. She has an uncle who will be 98 this coming August. He still keeps his own home and cottage and drives himself back & forth, WITHOUT GLASSES even.

My Dad's father had a massive stroke in his early fifties and was unable to work the rest of his life. They now figure he had suffered several heart-attacks also, but had 'worked through them'.

As for the experience, etc., the way I figure it is I worked 80 or 90 hours a week for MANY years so I actually have 40 years experience not 20, at least that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

As I've said before, that's over now, I am now strictly following a 'light duty' schedule.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to look after the one machine we think of the least, ourselves.

Take the time to enjoy life, your family and all the things the good Lord has blessed you with.

Best of luck. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-26          86941

The Docs told me I could expect the same as the old man..... so far I am 15 years past the mark. My older brother had a MI when he was 46, he is wrapped a bit tighter than I.

I guess I am just trying to let you know two things:

1) many times early attacks are never repeated,

2) never in history have we had the ability to repair/control the damage that we have now and we are making quantum knowledge leaps about every six months.

A couple of my compatriots on the department had serious heart attacks that were moderated to absolutely minimal damage with the immediate intake of aspirin and the administration of clot busters in the ER.

I expect you and I will be trading quips for many years to come, God willing and the creek don't rise. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-05-26          86944

LOL Scooter!!!! ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
dsg

2004-05-26          86949

Well, I'm on the low end here with an age of 45 and a CI of 39, 35 GCI and 4 DCI. Now 6 of those GCI's were made by Mercedes Benz in 2003, (can I count them twice:)

David ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-27          87024

Mark, I know what you mean about early treatment.

I was very lucky, mine happened while I was on a deer stand at our camp. When I failed to make a twice an hour radio check-in my cousin came looking for me. Fortunately he was sporting a first-class hangover and had a bottle of aspirin in his pocket. Another member of the group also had nitro. with him. By the time they got me out to a clearing at the highway the air ambulance was already landing. They had me into the Cardio ICU in no time flat and were pumping me full of clot-busters and stuff.

The doctor told afterwards it would have been fatal if I had been alone at the time or had not got the treatment I had as fast as I did.

By the time I was out of the hospital the doctors (and my good wife) had me on a very strict diet, exercise and lifestyle regimen. When I went in for my 18 month checkup the Doc said I was 100% with almost no visible residual damage and no blockages. He told me I had to conitinue to play by the rules because he didn't like having 'repeat customers', I told him not to be offended if I never saw him again.

I learned my lesson, no amount of money or success is worth that price.

Best of luck. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-05-27          87037

Well, lets see here, Age: 33; CI:23; DCI:17, GCI:6. Wow, that's downright pathedic!

Sorry, I'll keep quiet till I can get this problem fixed! ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
drcjv.

2004-05-28          87080

Corrected values age =41 CI =93 I forgot a car I inherited several years ago from my uncle a 1962 coupe DeVille with 31,000 original miles on it. I forgot it because its not at my house and I never drove it. It is interesting my uncle was loaded and kept cash all around his house when he died at age 90 he had a 37 year old married girlfriend. We found out she had already got 1 $100,000 CD put in her name and had an agreement of sale on a $750,000 property. We know she got all the cash in the house. We were told that he also kept cash in the car. I went to check on it yesterday and noticed that the driverside rug was pulled up and broken razor blades were scattered around (one of my uncles boobie traps.)We never had a key for the trunk so after seeing the rug I called a locksmith I should have a key today or tomorrow. Knowing my uncle there could be more than a spare tire in the trunk. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-06-10          88268

age - 32 ICC - 103, i purchase then often ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
jkjordan

2004-06-10          88272

Just squeaked by: 54y and 58c.

JKJ ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
beagle

2004-06-11          88317

Well, 45y; 45c. Just what the wife thought, barely avarage. ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
JLHall

2004-06-18          88849

im confused as a hungry baby at the topless lounge now.

so if i can get this briggs to run my belt fed i get points?

i must persue this... ....

What is your self-worth

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-06-20          88983

Of all the silly things I have spent time on this one (in hind sight) ranks right up there! I just spent around 10 min. writing down numbers and thinking. 39yrs old and 64cyl. I even stooped down to including the sewage pumps
and weed wacker. Makes you think? How the heck did we exist 20 years ago with only a 12 pack a V65 and a
Trans Am? Then again we all had MORE UNDER THE HOOD! at age 19!
Great poll ya got goin here! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login