Go Bottom Go Bottom

After A Couple of Dos Exxis

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-17          83453

After a couple of beers, I have to ask you this. Why on earth do they call it the "Rockshaft" control lever. I imagine some could come to the wrong conclusion on this. Why not just call it the 3 pt hitch lever? Is there a history behind this that explains the name?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-17          83457

Do we get to guess? Are you supplying the beer to get us in the right mood?
My guess is that the 3 pt was designed originally for plowing (Furgusen). The 3 pt transfers pulling resistance from the back to the front in the form of weight. In the past if you hit a solid object plowing the tractor quickly walked up and landed on you. The top control arm in compression and the rock shafts allow you to pull the rig up when you hit a rock.
Nice story? OK what is the real story? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-04-18          83492

AAAAHHHHHHHHH because the lever controls the "Rockshaft"? ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-18          83493

In some quarters it's called a quadrant lever. Another XX and I get better maybe. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-18          83508

I don't have a clue. Maybe some of our historians could enlighten us. Just another trivia question, the local TV news must have been hard up for news this morning early so they were showing an elephant in a zoo somewhere that was celebrating his or her 40 someting birthday. This elephant did'nt really seem to have a happy look about all this so it got me to wondering. Has anybody ever saw an elephant that looked like he or she was really having a good time? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-04-18          83509

Is this a political question?

I haven't seen any really happy jackasses either. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-18          83510

Drankin; I never gave that a thought about stirring up any political issues, sorry if I did. That's one of the reasons I enjoy the board is to discuss common intrests and get all the politics, business concerns and all the rest of that baloney off my mind for a while. Now I'm wondering if the Independent party and all of the other lesser known partys have a mascot too that we're discriminating aganst. Help me out here I might be in over my head. Frank. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-04-18          83511

Hmmm... what critter would we associate with Ralph Nader?

Or Ross Perot? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-19          83607

It's called a "Rockshaft" because thats what it does, it rocks back and forth.

Connected to them are the "lift arms", named thus because thats what they do.

Strange huh ?

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
BillBass

2004-04-19          83625

OK, let's make this official.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

rockshaft

SYLLABICATION: rock·shaft
PRONUNCIATION: rkshft
NOUN: A shaft that oscillates or rocks upon its bearings but does not revolve.

View my Photos
BillBass

2004-04-19          83626

Oh, and by the way. Next time before you have too many of those XX's and can still see the label. It is Dos Equis. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-04-19          83651

BillBass - yep checked my keg. It had XX on top of it. But I see it on the internet referred to as "Dos Equis XX". I apologize profusely for screwing up a good beer's name.

Sounds like you and Murf have the definition of rockshaft nailed. Thanks! Maybe I'll go home now and have another Dos Equis! I promise not to ask any more stupid questions for at least one week :)

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-20          83703

Oh well, what's in a name? I know that I drank some XXX in Mexico during the late '60's and I think there was plain old X as well but maybe I was having the 'just can't see the label clearly problem. It really is called a quadrant lever since most move 90-degrees to do their rocking.

I followed my curiosity about the name through a bit of net searching and found that the original XX was actually Roman 20--the original German immigrant brewer's marketing tribute to the 20th Century in 1891. I don't imagine beer drinkers anywhere put much stock in roman numerals or would call it 20 either, so it just became Dos Equis and eventually part of the huge Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. Brewery. Now there's a name, and they are makers of all sorts of good beers. They've since became part of FEMSA, which is a little more manageable name for many and also produces well known soft-drinks.

If I were real curious I might track down whether Dos Equis (with caps) is a registered trademark. Personally I prefer my beer without caps, but what's in a name anyway? There's a beer in Canada called 50 but I prefer that one with the caps. Kind of hard to trademark the name two x's even spelled out and with caps. The trademark symbol may refer to the entire image in which case maybe both the Dos Equis and the XX would be part of the name. After another one I may get 2 and 20 confused as well. Who knows maybe something here might interest somebody. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-20          83705

Tom, just how many coffee's did you have this morning, you're making WAY too much sense for this time of day....

Have those 'no-see-ums' got you house-bound already ?

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login