Go Bottom Go Bottom

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-11          82701

Well, I was at my neighbor's Skidoo/Kawasaki dealership last week to borrow a trailer to haul the jd2210 with. I happened to notice what I initially thought was a pristine Triumph Bonneville 650 sitting in his shop. Well, it wasn't a Triumph but a brand new Kawasaki W650, which is an almost perfect copy of the Bonneville, right down to the horsepower..with improvements like overhead cam, disc brakes..etc.

I had a '62 Bonneville in the mid-60's and loved the looks, the sound and the ride. I didn't like the breakdowns. I've had 15 bikes since 1955 but the last one, a Honda 750F was 17 years ago. Jeez, I love that W650 and am working myself into just going in and riding it out. Am I getting nutz in my old age??

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Motorcycles

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-11          82719

Just last night my brother-in-law was moaning about his BSA Lightening that became sort of a basket case and ended up in a garage sale.

I have the urge myself from time to time. While in school I worked part time in a BSA shop and had my own independent garage as well. I had an early Honda 750 at the time but what I really wanted was a Norton P11. Those Nortons took even more tinkering that the rest of the Brits but they were sure fun. I had moved from MI to LA and you'd think LA would be a biker's dream with all those sunny days and stuff. I hated it because it took most of a day to get out of the city. Sold the 750 after a few months and never got back to it. What I really liked was floating down back roads or on jeep trails in the Colorado mountains but never in cities. Now I've got plenty of country and no bike.

Something that looked and rode like an old Brit would be good. I was working on them when the N.A. companies were collapsing. Parts were an absolute nightmare and so were the basket cases that showed up. Seems like every Brit owner had a friend who knew how to fix them and seldom did. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-11          82724

I bought a new Honda 750F back in 1976. We had a 1/4 mile marked off on the highway north of town. It would run 104 one way and 106 the other. I gave $1,995 for the motorcycle and a Hondaline helmet, from Paris Honda in Paris Texas.

My brother-in-law had a new Triumph 650 Bonneville. He did have to work on it quite often. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
jasonsewell

2004-04-11          82726

Well, I just pulled my bike out of storage here in the northeast, although we have 4 days of rain coming now.

Personally, I bought a Suzuki DR650se last fall and think that it is an excellent bike. Dual-sport bikes allow you to ride the streets comfortably, yet you can hop onto a trail or an all out dirtbike pit.

For under $5000 brand new, they run forever, OEM parts are available everywhere, and there are even more aftermarket performance parts that are very resonably priced.

Can't wait for the rain to pass!!! ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
harley152

2004-04-11          82736

Been riding for 40 years---Had a BSA 650 and a Triumph 650 a long time ago---pushed both of them farther than I ever rode them!! As to the rain---I live in the pacific northwest and if you don't ride in the rain you don't ride.

Jerry ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-04-11          82745

Jerry..that was the problem. Something always needed fixing. My Triumph seemed to break chains regularly and once the chain wrapped around the rear axle locking the wheel. Fortunately, I kept it upright to a stop. Never did figure out what was causing the problem...then there's the "electrics by Lucas" syndrome, or the "tickle me Amal" carbs.

Motorcycles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-04-11          82777

I snuck my brother's BSA Lightning out for a ride when I was twelve and have never looked back. Most all my bikes have been Hondas including numerous smaller ones, three 750s over the years, a Sportster, and an older Goldwing (1978) that I still have. This past Thursday I brought home the first new motorcycle I've ever had, a 2004 Honda ST1300. ST for sport tourer. It's got a 120 HP V-4 liquid cooled engine that should do over 150 mph if I ever wanted to go that fast. And that's with the touring bags on the back. :-0

The STs have been more popular in Europe than the US since they came out in 1992. There they are used alot for police vehicles. Like the goldwing they have a reputation for reliability. And the seven year unlimited mileage warranty is nice. That should be good for about 100K miles if my mileage stays the same as the past few years. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
harley152

2004-04-12          82885

yup, lectrics by lucas---the reason they drink warm beer in England is because Lucas builds refrigerators too!!!

Jerry ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-04-13          82913

My 1st "bike" was a bike..a Whizzer, 3hp..would do 41mph (clocked)but needed rod bearing changes at every oil change. We had a club of 4 Whizzer owners called the "Rod Benders". The motto was "we hear you knockin' but you can't come out"..referring to the rod knock which meant an oil change was due. The expensive $25 needle bearing crank cured the issue...but who could afford one in 1956??

Anyway..it's been a little tense in the kitchen the last couple of days. Wifee isn't at all enthusiastic about her 60yo hubby getting back into bikes. She thinks it's dangerous (didn't 15 years ago). Well, when it's time to NOT do something for that reason when we did years ago..I guess it's time to feel old and watch T.V...Me..I'm just about at the point of riding her home (the bike).

My dealer told me that they quit making the W650 in 2002 and this was the last one. They sold well in Europe but not here. That inspired me to get a 1st right of refusal...which is what I did with my 2210..which is sitting here in the garage...ominious.

We went to a motorcycle show in Colchester, England 3 years ago and I absolutely went nutz! I found about every old Limey bike known to man for sale. Of particular interest was a BSA 500 Gold Star for.....$850US!! in pristine condition! (never mind the AJS's, Nortons, Ariels, Triumphs, Matchless's..etc.) I REALLY struggled with that one and tried to find a way to store it and get it shipped home..BUT.."that look" wifee was giving me was foreboding...hence..no Gold Star.

Well..tommorrow is a test ride. I'm sure there's more to follow. My nieghbor offered to bunk me in his hanger..along with the bike...comforting. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-04-13          82924

Wildman, I've heard that the Karwaski 650 is a good bike. All the looks of a late 60's Triumph without the leaks, the electrics or the ticklin' carbs.

I would really love to ride in your area, but I don't have an extra week available to get there and another to get back. :-( ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-04-14          83065

Well..I saw the poster for the Kawaskai 2.9%, 36/mo deal as I was about to walk out after doing a test ride..that was it. SO..I rode her home. After 20 years off a scooter I pulled the front wheel off the ground..low end torque that the rice rockets don't know! I was a little frail at first but it all came back in a rush! She brought back memories as I felt the vibration and low bass notes the exhaust exhaled. What a ride! I'm in love! ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-04-14          83066

HOWEVER..there IS a caveat..a new countertop. She wins. The countertop that the little woman wants is $2K MORE than the scooter. Now I've got to get 2 bikes to break even.

ShortMagnum..ride on up..just watch out for the moose, bear & caribou that wander onto the roads. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-14          83087

I've got a buddy with a nice new Cessna Caravan, if I could borrow it for a bit I could load my scooter, pick up Shortmagnum and his bike on the way west......

Yo' Wildman, do ya' think there's room in that hangar for my too for after my wife finds out...... LOL

Best of luck. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-04-14          83091

I have been riding motorcycles for about 35 years. It started out when I got a 100 cc Yamaha dirt bike. It was so handy for herding and moving cattle, that it was quickly upgraded to a Yamaha 360cc DT3.

I have ridden a lot of two stroke bikes, including the Kawasaki three cylinder bikes from the 70s. But my main bike for college and everyday use was the Yamaha 360. That 360 Yamaha eventually made its way to California with me and became the first bike that I raced in the Mojave Desert.

There were also enough street riding opportunities for me that I also owned a Suzuki 750 cc rice rocket. That sucker was fast and handled like a dream for its day. It would corner so well that the center stand would occasionally drag on the pavement and it was beveled off on both sides. (Perhaps the Japanese engineers had not considered a street bike turning so tightly. :-))

The Yamaha DT360 was too heavy and eventually was replaced by a Suzuki RM370 that was lightened and tweaked for Unlimited Class Desert racing. That bike would do nearly 100 MPH on a dry lakebed. When the tree huggers started shutting down the mostly treeless Mojave desert to motor vehicle traffic, many of us started moving our racing activities to Baja Mexico. Four stroke bikes are king in Baja due to the better gas milage, changes in altitude and variance in the fuel quality that is available locally. A Honda XR350R suited that purpose very well, and I still have it. Even at age 20, it still does well in the desert and even in the forest. (better than I can do anymore, at least.)

When I moved to NM in 1998, I gave away all my old motorcycles to charity and only kept the Honda XR. I sometimes get the itch to have another street bike, but drunk driving is a problem here, and motorcycle riders always end up as the loser in that contest. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-04-14          83094

Murf, I'm guessing the Caravan has a payload after fuel of at least 2000 lbs? There was a time when I knew these things. My new Honda is over 700 lbs wet.

A trip to AK would really be fun. I can picture cruising around with mountains all about(in the air and on the ground). :-)))

I haven't been there since 1985 and most of that time was spent around Juneau. If you ever seriously consider it... ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-04-14          83116

Yeah..there's plenty of room in the hanger for all of our scooters and 3 bunks. I hope my wife will at least email me. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-14          83120

Gross payload is over 4,000# so I don't think your Honda will be a problem, my 1964 Harley Police Special however... ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-04-14          83129

Love bikes myself and hopefully some might pick up on the screen name :) My pictures have my bikes displayed with some action shots...Love them as much as my tractors, but not nearly as much as my wife....pssssst - she was standing over me while I wrote that :)

Duc

Motorcycles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-04-15          83184

It was finally warm enough for the 1 hr ride to work this morning. Temps ranged from 39 to 46 degrees depending on the altitude. This bike is very quiet. Sounds like a turbine.

A ride to Alaska would be a real adventure. Funny how you think about adventures when you should be working. :-)
Dave ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-15          83191

WORK, don't we have some sort of rules about using 4-letter words on this board....sheesh.

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-04-16          83265

Things are a bit cool around here right now. The wife has accepted the fact that her 60yo hubby lost his mind and dropped back to his childhood. Other comments have been even more enlightening..like "foot shuffling dumb" or "you need to check your medications"..or "you're to young for senility to be setting in"..or "we want your guns and use of your tractor while you have your cerebral hematoma treated". I don't want to discuss mass killing...but a little more of this line of crap will lead to lost friends and...lawyers!

The funny thing about the morons's arguments is: yes..we did those things but we aren't 20 or 30 now. OK! SO what's changed?? Well...we are so much smarter now. OH...smarter now? That means we shouldn't have been having fun 40 years ago..RIGHT?? Well..we just didn't have the judgement then. Well..yes. SO now we have the judgement and shouldn't use it to ride safely or whatever else grabs your fancy..RIGHT? Well..we should defer from engaging in these dangerous undertakings at our age. OK..so..why not just sit in front of your f..k..g TV and watch the "days of our lives" and then die?? Well..we need to do the gardening...blah..blah..blah.

UNBELIEVABLE! Only the 30+- folks think it's cool for me to get a bike! Everyone else is stupified (stupid). Your lives should be fun to the end. When you hang those fun things up 'cus they could be dangerous..then kill yourself. Why prolong the agony of wishing you'd done this or that but didn't.

Soo..if I cream out at 60, at least I got 40 more years of having fun by lucking out and not killing myself at 20. But..I had some REALLY good times!

Life should be enjoyed and FUN!! If we worry about the hazards in what we want to do..and then avoid those things..then we lose. Life is no longer fun.

BTW..the ride is great. Still cold here but afternoons are in the 50's and I've done 100miles on the ride so far. It is a Bonneville and has taken me back. It's 1962 again! And screw the detractors!

Motorcycles

View my Photos
grinder

2004-04-16          83269

Wildman
The problem with Morons is that they don't know they are Morons and you are wasting riding time thinking about it!
Have had several bikes,enjoyed my 750 "snortin Norton" the best. Think I'll stop by that Kawi place today...

Like my old man use to say" You are dead for a long time" ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-16          83279

Last summer there was an on-going parade of Harleys on the highway going to and from the centennial celebration in Green Bay. The 60+ crowd was well represented as it is in typical summer bike traffic. Stick to your guns. 'Golden years' doesn't require ponds.

As an incidental to the subject, I never worked on Harleys but I finally read an explanation for the Harley sound. They have two cylinders but only one crank pin. That means the cylinders don't fire at even intervals around the rotation. There probably are other factors and that's why the sound is trademark protected. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-04-16          83285

Tom, That's right, the single crank pin and the relatively narrow 45 degree V twin cylinder angle gives the distinctive Harley sound. Below is a site that shows some interesting dynamic schematics of various V configurations. It's primarily about the forces exerted than sound but illustrative nontheless. Page down past the math.
Dave ....

Link:   V twin

Motorcycles

View my Photos
grinder

2004-04-18          83484

Wildman
I was watching the Paul Newman interview last night(Larry King) and he
made a comment that made me think of this thread. When asked about retirement at 79 he said "you can't retire from life". Enjoy the bike!

I met him last summer here in my home town general store.
He was standing outside eating a piece of pizza. They were in Maine filming a movie and he was renting a place here in
the lakes. "Cool Hand Luke " at 79, it was great! ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-04-21          83781

I'm having a ball. Got full leathers (brown)& a new Nolan helmet. Ordered a quick-detach windshield & saddle bags. Punched out the baffles for that nice burble.

Took a ride today with a buddy who has a new Triumph Bonneville. It's the "America" version and looks like a cross between a Harley and a Triumph...800cc. We're about neck & neck performance wise but mine corners quicker. It's all coming back..including wheelies. I'm just not as aggressive as I was 30 years ago.

Still breaking her in but a quick run to 100mph shows she's no slouce. Great low-end torque. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-21          83794

Wildman, glad to hear you're living up to your monicker.

I was checking out your pictures, I don't see anything in there that looks like it'll go a 100 mph unless it's on a trailer..... don't keep us in suspense any longer.

Let's see that two wheeled art form.

Best of luck.

Motorcycles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-04-21          83798

Wildman, When I was a kid we used to say "Break 'em in fast and they are fast." At least it sounded good then because no on had anything new. Seriously It won't hurt to take it even near redline for short durations. And change oil early. Most of the metal is sloughed off in the first few hours that you run it.

Yes to Murf's suggestion. Let's see a picture. I have my new one on pic #7.
Dave ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-04-21          83837

Check my pics #16 & 17 of the ride. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
D. Allen

2004-04-22          83907

I've just purchased a couple of mid-70's Suzuki 2-stroke enduros off of ebay for my son and I. Paid about what these cost new back then, but a fraction of what a similar bike would cost today. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
bnrhuffman

2004-04-22          83934

Wildman,
Have you kept up with any Whizzer info?
My dad has one that he got when he was a kid. We rebuilt it when I was a kid back about 25 or 30 years ago. We had a great time tearing into the little engine, trying to find parts and correct paint. It looked absolutely show romm when we got done. My dad has it in Florida now and its still in good shape but doesnt run now for some reason. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-04-22          84004

bnrhuffman..did you know they're still making Whizzers? I'm sure they're updated but look interesting. Just do a web search for "Whizzer motorbikes".

My old Whizzer quit running so a buddy had a brainstorm and put a battery ignition on it. Of course, the 6v dry cell would expire and it would quit..sometimes out of town. So..I found new magneto parts and replaced the battery system with the original. Sounds like your dad's machine might have a bad ignition system...not much else to them except fuel and compression. Or maybe the cam gear was put in out of time. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-04-23          84074

"It's all coming back..including wheelies."

Wildman, you inspired me. Last night I changed oil and filter at 660 miles and took the ST out on a leak check cruise. I made a 20 mile loop and on the way back decided to find out if it would pull the wheel. So in first gear at about 4000 rpm I cracked the throttle and the front came up pretty easily. I love the acceleration.
Dave ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-04-23          84106

Dave..glad to hear you're getting pumped up. Now, keep working on it until you can keep the front wheel off the ground for at least one block with at least one gear change along the way. I used to do that on my old Bonneville and I'm now back up to...about 20'. ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-05-01          84919

Wildman, I think I'll leave the wheelies to about 20' too. The longer ones are for the younger guys.

It seems the British Columbia police are buying honda ST1300s to replace their Harleys. The bad guys better have something pretty fast to outrun them. :-) Link below
Dave ....

Link:   Police ST1300

Motorcycles

View my Photos
millers1

2004-05-03          85114

Bwaaaahahahaha! Lucas electrics... Back in my high school era days.. A friend and I swapped my Yamaha XS650 for my his Norton for the night. Kick starter nearly launched me over the bike. Finally got all the *backwards* controls figured out.. I was cruising around a curve.. and the Lucas gremlins kicked in (no headlight!).

As for carbs, I learned on the MG Midget that on British bikes, if the carbs are reasonably close, don't mess with 'em! ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-05-05          85239

Millers...yeah, Lucas was the Prince of Darkness. Never trusted the 'lectrics at night and carried a flashlight. An astronaut made the comment once that he had a nightmare prior to a shuttle launch. In the nightmare he was in orbit, looked at his panel and saw a plaque that read "electrics by Lucas".!! He woke up in a cold sweat!

Then there's those wonderful Amals...Not to mention the chain oiler along with the rest of the leaks. BUT...when they ran..they were WONDERFUL bikes.

The W650, now know simply as the "Dubya" is absolutely splendid. Same everything as the old Bonneville without the hard times.

Mike

Motorcycles

View my Photos
grinder

2004-05-05          85240

Oil leaks on my old Norton? My mechanic would say "You wouldn't know it was alive unless it was bleeding" ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-05-06          85328

Bleeding is one thing..bled out is another. That's what was accepted then but...ain't it nice to have a clean garage floor?? ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-05-06          85329

BTW..I just turned 650 miles on the "Dubya" and it has been an extremley fun 650 at that. Changed the oil & filter and cleaned, adjusted & lubed the chain. I used a small paint brush to lube the chain with using 90wt gear lube. Fortunately, I waited until the ride of the day was over and let the bike sit overnight with rags under it. The chain dropped the excess and things were good the next day.

My old Bonneville had a chain oiler that was the biggest mess ever. 'Course..they didn't have "O" ring chains then..but still..! ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-05-06          85337

Wildman, for chain oiling I had some stuff in a spray can that came out in a foam. The foam would cover the chain and soak in nicely. When the air bubbles were gone what was left was a substance that felt like STP. Very little or none of it would fling off which was nice.

Now I have a shaft drive on my Goldwing and ST. I just check the oil levels once a year. :-) I still do have a chain drive Honda 750 that stays on the farm. That one gets a good chain soaking once in a while.
Dave ....

Motorcycles

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-05-06          85373

Dave, I recall using some spray lube years ago but it wasn't a foam type and still dripped. I'll run to the dealer today and see what he has. The 90wt gear lube is what the book called for and what I had in stock but is a mess.

Mike ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login