Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor Umbrella Canopy Sunshade Question

View my Photos
its_that_guy@yahoo.c
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-09          82574

Has anyone seen this sunshade from FEMCO in person OR know what the cost is??

http://www.femcomfg.com/blocker.html

it is a cross between an umbrella and a canopy.. .

How much do the ROP mounted umbrellas run? John Deere shows one as an option in their catalogs

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hared1112

2004-04-09          82587

JD part number TY25324 runs $96 although they recently had it on sale for around $86. ....

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-09          82588

I have not seen that one but have been looking into them for a while,I think I am going to get the Westendorf Cool Cap.
They have an easy on and off bracket(no tools) I think would come in handy trailering or going into the woods or low branches.
The company responded very quickly with a nice color brochure of the cap and several of their products. It
appears to be an American manuf. in Iowa, "A family owned business since 1934,with a focus on quality".
Anybody had any experience with them?
Now that might be an Idea, Can we come up with some American company's that manuf. a quality product right here in the ol'USA? One comes to mind,Vermeer of Iowa Not sure
of the history but they make a high quality product. Iowa
crafsmanship is top notch I guess. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-09          82591

Grinder, I've not seen a Westendorf canopy, but I've had a Westendorf WL42 loader on a 1070 case (108 HP) since in the 70's. I've replaced pins and bushings a couple times and a ram or two, but the frame simply is built so strong it cannot be destroyed. They've allways been king of the hill when it comes to loaders. they also build other farm equipment which is also top drawer. So I'm sure their conopy would be one to check out. Frank. ....

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-10          82618

Thanks Frank,
108 hp, now thats a tractor.
Any other Iowa companies that deserve a mention? I'm trying to get a positive thing going here instead of all this negative
talk about where we are headed.(me included) ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-10          82621

Grinder, I'd have to think a bit so far as other companies, but two that come to mind right off are Vermeer, they started sometime I think after WW2 building small chain type trenchers for farmers to tile with of which some are still in use, they must have sold a million of them. Now they make large tiling machines, hay balers, etc., and I think they have something to do with the "New Farmalls" now too. The second would be Kinze Mfg. at Williamsburg Ia. John Kinzenbaw quit school at the 8th grade, started a one man weld shop, They maufacture corn planters, grain carts, and I'm not sure what else that are known for their strength and reliability almost world wide now. We are a proud bunch here in Iowa of things that have been acomplished here by one man or one woman with a dream. Altho we all grumble about taxes, etc. etc. The whole USA no matter what state you live in is still a land of opportunity for those who have the desire to go it alone, true stat's tell us that 9 out of 10 new businesses fail within the first two years, we still have the oportunity to try. I sometimes get upset by folks growling that the world owes them a living in a land that still offers opportunity to those with abilitys and the ambition to get ahead. I'd better quit I'm starting to sound like a politician. Frank. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-04-10          82674

Frank
I just think those are the best stories. It takes real brass kahuna's to do what some of these guy's have acomplished.
Just thought a few positive stories would be nice to read.
I know there must be a million out there. Maybe even inspire
someone?
I have owned a Veermer Stump Cutter for some time, Just bought another last year. Has proven to be a well built
machine. I believe Veermer invented it back in the 50's?
Why can some company's stay and produce top quality products
and other's can't? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-10          82691

Grinder, by this evening I've thought of many more folks who have took a chance and came out on top. but how about some from your end or anyone else in another state. My wife has allways wanted to come to the upper New England States to see the leaves turn in the fall, but due to being in the Agriculture business since high school then starting a furniture plant some 30 yrs ago we just never had time. Just since the first of the year we sold the furniture plant to one of our sons who had been with us for several years after he'd had enough of the corprate world, but are still fulltime farmers just simply because of the love of the business. We were never a huge business, just family owned and operated, we took a chance and it worked. Your question about why some fail while others succeed, I really don't know except that it seems that new business ventures that try to get too big too fast seem never to work out. Our oldest Daughter and her husband and two kids live in a large midwest city where the class sizes of out grandkids are in the hundreds, where as my wife and I comprise 1/6th of the graduating class in 1960 of our home town. I often wonder where there will be room for our grandkids to be employed when they reach that age, but who knows maybe they too will come up with some way of employing themselves. This is still a land of oppurtunity. Lets hear some stories from your end, Frank. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-04-11          82705

Frank
Your cheating yourself if you don't take that ride to come
look at the leaves,sit on the docks in a small maine village and eat some fresh lobster,life is short.
Anyone who has accomplished what you have should be able to
arrange a little escape? A man who runs a 650 ac. farm,built a furniture business,should be able to take his wife to look at some leaves. Just kidding(Maine smartass humor).
As far as business here in Maine, on a local lavel one that
comes to mind is a Lumber Yard.
This man built it from scratch buy himself with a homemade
sawmill and a homemade forktruck.
His son runs it with his son and have turned it into a business of five lumberyards statewide with the mill here in Belgrade. They employ 250 people and growing.
There are many other notables and I will work on it. There is the Cianbro Corp. One of the largest heavy constuction firms on the eastcoast. I believe that was started by two brothers in Pittsfield Maine. I will work on some others.
What kind of furniture do you make? There are many master
craftsman here in Maine that work with wood. From furniture
to the boatyards on the coast. That alone is worth the trip
if you like fine woodworking.
Check out the Maine office of tourism web page or Maine .gov
I will try to post our towns web page. Does your area do the same? ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-11          82708

Grinder, thanks for the reply. I've allways found it interesting to visit with people from other parts of the country. I just looked at the web page you listed, and it really looks tempting. Driving thru large citys scares me to death anymore when I'm used to two lane blacktop and gravel roads. Just a few days ago I e-mailed the Tri State Tour Company located in Galena Ill. just a few miles east of Dubuque Ia.. They have bus tours which friends of our have taken and totally enjoyed. They seem to offer lots of tours to the new England states for the fall colors. They've been in business a long time and offer most anything from one day tours to extensive two week tours at a quite reasonable cost. So maybe the wife will win out and we'll get there. Far as our furniture business, it has allways been custom order type, we really never had a production line of anything. people come in the door with a sketch of something they want, we'd take it from there designing whatever they wanted. The only rule we ever had was it had to fit out of our door. we never advertised our shop but allways were 6 mo. to a year behind. There has never been a lack of demand, there are several other shops in the aeria like ours, all good friends of ours and they too can't keep up with orders. We've built everything from huge library assemblys that filled a whole room to frames for a canoe, probably our most unusual request was for the frame for a kyack. we did turn that one down as we would'nt have had a clue how to build it, and the customer understood. I'm sure that there is an Iowa tourisim board somewhere, I'll check to see what there is and pass it on. Have a great Easter Day. Frank. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-04-11          82773

Frank
I found a good one in todays Sunday paper. Here is one I
don't think the Indian's or Chinese can take.At least I hope not.
Maine crafstman at their finest!! These Ships are an awesome
sight!
Be sure to click on some of the related articles to BIW(Bath Iron Works) ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
grinder

2004-04-11          82775

More ship info. on Bath Iron Works.
Anybody else have any good ones.
I know it's not tractors, but maybe the doom
and gloom isn't as bad as we think. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Chip11

2004-04-11          82785

Thanks for that link. I have been driving past BIW, for the past couple of years, watching that ship being built! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-12          82805

Grinder, thanks for all those links. Sounds like your part of the country has lots of things going for it. I've allways been facinated by construction of any kind and I'm sure the size alone of those shipyards would overwhelm me. I read in lots of the woodworking magazines about the New England aeria having lots of fine craftsman building high end stuff. I've toured the JD combine works at the Quad Citys and the JD tractor works at Waterloo which are real amazing to me, but would seem tiny compared to something the size of the shipyards. Keep smileing, Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login