Go Bottom Go Bottom

Valentine s Day compliment

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-15          76977

My daughter (7) was saying yetserday that I smelled like diesel, my wife chimed in, "Diesel IS daddy's cologne!"

Man was I proud! What higher compliment could be bestowed on us diesel tractor and pickup drivin "real men"? :)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-15          76985

INDEED! HERE! HERE! Well said Scott! ;o) ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-02-16          76988

I tell ya' what... it's a good thing I don't have gas truck and tractor, if I was as sloppy with gas as I am with diesel, I'd burst into flames from strong sunlight!

I have these leather, kevlar lined gloves that I use for work and they are just SOAKED with diesel. I have to keep them in the truck bed tool box or the inside of the truck smells like the Exxon Valdez.

I need to get another pump for my 55 gallon drums, the one I had was leaking and now it died. It had some leakage at the top from the gasket and now it hardly pumps. That's where I got much of the diesel on ALL the work clothes I own. It was a cheapo pump anyway. I think I'll just get a rotary or crank hand type, mine was the "bicycle pump" style. ....

View my Photos
Abbeywoods
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-16          77008

What's better? Spend some time mucking out the stalls with your fel, add that aroma to good ol' bovine gold, and your diesel, and then you'll know pure olfactory bliss. Especially when your honey is getting a meal ready and you waltz in, and say, as you draw her close, "...hey Babe, what's for....?" Nothing like the sweet smell of dead dinos and freshly recycled vegetation! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-16          77019

Lawman, after many years of experimenting with, and cursing at, every type of fuel pump I could find I finally found the (IMHO) best one.

Air, compressed air actually.

Use the hose from an old pump and screw together a couple of pipe fittings and a piece of 1" pipe so that when it's inserted in the 'bung' hole the pipe falls just shy of the bottom of the drum. Take a drill to the vent plug and using a tap make threads in it to accept a $5 air pressure regulator, or just a schrader valve. A little air pressure on the drum and the fuel flows nicely.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-16          77023

Northern Tool has a couple of real nice electric fuel pumps with gas station type dispensing nozzles. I got the 12 volt version. No drips or spills and at 10 GPM.... very fast. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-02-16          77025

We used compressed air for all of our Baja racing fuel tanks. We would carry 55 gal drums of racing fuel in the support truck and we had a dip tube with a fuel hose/nozzle that would screw into the 2" bung opening. A second threaded cap would allow us to tap air from our on-board compressor to have full fuel flow. It does not take much air pressure. I would certainly limit the pressure to less than 5 PSI for most things. That should allow you to pump fuel at least ten feet above the barrel.

For the Baja racing, we would start the flow of fuel with air pressure and the fuel would siphon down to the race car with the flow enhanced by the pressure in the drum. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-16          77026

This is the fuel dispensing pump I have on my refuel rig. I am very happy with it and it does not leak. I moves fuel at a very fast pace for a hand pump and is much less expensive and simpler than an electric pump. ....

Link:   click here

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-02-16          77032

That's one reason why I keep driving a "gas" truck to keep away from pumping so much diesel. If you spill it on yourself, you throw away the clothes. I've tossed so many pair of gloves. If you spill it on the Rhino bed liner it will melt it. And, If you live in California the diesel fumes will cause cancer! Anyway, that's what my safety label says. Apparently, we're safe outside California. ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-02-16          77056

That's a nice hand pump. The other ideas are good but I think for my needs, hand crank will do. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-17          77123

Scott, Randy, I agree a hand pump works just fine. The only problem is you can't be farther than an arm's length from the pump.

With an 'automated' pump (of any type) you can stand at the business end and watch the filling process carefully. This makes it a whole lot easier to prevent spills since you know exactly what level the fuel is at. Electric pumps work good, but require a power source, etc., all I need to pump a barrel of fuel is a small air tank.

Yooper, never mind California, your lucky you don't live in Canada, up here the fumes give you cancer in English and FRENCH, it's twice as bad for you.....LOL.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-02-17          77136

Murf,
You got all kinds of good ideas!

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-17          77156

Lots of people tell me I'm just full of ....... good ideas.

There's an old saying "If you want to know how to do something right, ask an expert, if you want to know the faster, easier way to do something right, ask a farmer.".

When your income is a direct result of how efficient you are, and how much the Lord likes you, you better make sure you do all you can about improving the part you have control over.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login