Go Bottom Go Bottom

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-27          75214

Based on the weather across much of North America I guess it's a safe bet that I'm not the only one who's going to be clearing snow tonight.

In case anybody is even the slightest bit interested, LOL, the link below is to one of a series of webcams a local TV station maintains. It is about 10 miles south-west of my house, if you change "auroracam.html" to "barriecam.html" it will show another one about 15 miles north-west across an inland lake next to me.

Stay warm......

Best of luck.

Link:   Weather & Traffic Cam

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-27          75215

We even got about 3/4" down here in Tennessee! It is COLD though! ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-27          75216

Randy, I wish we were getting 3/4"..... presently the doppler radar says we're getting almsot an inch an hour!!!

I don't know what COLD is in Tennessee but here in Toronto it's warmed up to 22 degress F. (11 deg. f. with the windchiil factored in) from last weekends -20's .....

Best of luck. ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-27          75217

Murf, the weather in these parts has gone plum crazy. Yesterday it was 72 degrees and last night it dropped down to about 28 F and this morning it started with the snow showers. It is going down to 15 F tonight which I am sure it T-shirt weather for you guys but it is cold for here. ;o) ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-27          75219

I know what you mean Randy, I was in Lexington, Ky. for the spring auction at Keeneland a few years back and a nasty snowstorm came through and dumped about 2' of snow.

They called out the National Guard 6X's to bring people in from vehicles stranded on the Interstate. We were staying at the Marriot and they had to use a small tracked dozer to plow the parking lot because there was nothing else available.

Best of luck.
It was downright hilarious to see people trying to deal with it, at least it was for us Canucks. ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-01-27          75222

"It is going down to 15 F tonight which I am sure it T-shirt weather for you guys but it is cold for here. ;o"

Yesterday I was in the barn and I said to my wife that it seemed pretty warm out...it was 11F. I guess it is warm compared to 0 to -5F that we have seen in the last few weeks. Even -5F is warm when compared to some of our members weather.

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-27          75225

Since our country uses the Metric system of measuring things our thermometers are calibrtated in both scales, Celcius and Farenheit.

The conversion is fairly simple, multiply deg. C. by 9, divide that by 5 , then add 32, the result is degrees F.

At -40 the two scales converge, -40 is the same thing in both scales.

According to my weahter station here at the house it has hit that point 11 different times this year, once it stayed there for more than 72 hours straight.

The windchill is another story, again the lowest so far is -56 C. (-69 F.) but that was only for a few hours overnight, it warmed up the next day, LOL.

What's even scarier is poor TomG, he lives another few hundred miles north again.

At -15 F. we don't start putting on the t-shirts yet, but we do take off the fur BVD's ......

Best of luck. ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-01-27          75226

I think I got ya'll beat. This morning as I was plowing the 14” of snow we got last night, it was a balmy –7 F with a wind chill of –31 F. This ain’t normal for January in Omaha. I was really wishing I had a heated cab :) ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-27          75229

Scooter I sincerely hope you use the old snowmobile helmet trick to keep your noggin from freezing in weather like that, it's no fun, been there, done that, no fun.....

Best of luck. ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-01-27          75230

It's a piece of cake here in Michigan. We have winter storm warnings out and will get about 6-10" during this storm (will last til Wed. am). Temp. is 28F with 20F windchill which is awesome. Its fun driving in this kinda weather. Sorry about you guys with the - windchill factors. I use a TSC vinyl windbreaker cab which works pretty decent. It's kinda a cobblejob, with one size fitting nothing but I get by. It is allot less than the $1,220.00 factory windbreaker cabs and definitely can't afford a full enclosed cab. ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-27          75235

BR/Pete, can you post some pics of the vinyl wind breaker cab. Don't think I have seen one of those. Sounds like a good low cost cab idea! ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-01-28          75314

Earlier I had said that the weather was great, well about 7 last night we got Murf winds. Without the wind breaker cab I would have froze. I dress pretty warm when plowing, i.e. insulated overalls, carhardt sweatshirt and insulated jacket with hood. I got so warm inside the windbreaker, I was sweating (the side panels push the heat into the cab) until the Murf winds came through. The back is open so cold air can come in through the rear. I have several miles between rural properties and it is all open areas. The road was soo bad this morning my 7275 started to get stuck in 2 wheel drive trying to get to the other property. Had lots of fun pulling people out, etc. Look to my post later today, I'm going to finally add some photos. Dennis figured out the glitch that wouldn't let me post pictures.

Tractor Supply shows it in their catalog under tractor heater cabs. It is worth the $175.95. I used to wear a clear grinding shield as a face mask to stop the wind needle prick like pains from the cold but it would always get fogged up. Not many TSC stores stock this item, I drove 100 miles to get it and it ranks in my top fifty purchases.

I got about 5 hrs. seat time in between last night and this morning. Only problem my Cadet doesn't have a beer can holder, but then again we face the flat beer issue. ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
paulss
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-28          75317

Well, I guess I figured out why a lot of you guys are always talking about diesel gelling and Cetane ratings. Way too cold for this cowboy. FYI....It really got cold here in central Texas last night - it was actually below freezing and probably won't get above 55-60 today. I'm sure this summer when I'm suffering from 100+ degree days and 80+% humidity I'll envy you fellows way up there but, as of right now, it feels pretty good to be here. ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-28          75318

Hey, we've got a relative heatwave now, the winds dropped to a light breeze, just enough to keep the mosquitos back, and the temperature has gone all the way up to 22 deg. F. today.

NOW we're breaking out the t-shirts...

Paul, trust me, "actually below freezing" is not cold, when it is 55 or 60 BELOW freezing, thats COLD....

BTW, we get weather of high 90's and high humididty in the summer too. My previously mentioned weather station here at the house says that during 2003 as a whole we had a range of 142 degrees F. from the coldest night to the hottest day.

One of the fellows that works for me says the true test of cold is when you wipe your face and your mustache comes off in your hand. It's happened before......

Best of luck. ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-01-28          75323

Chief.

Finally got some pictures up. Photos 2 and 3 show the windbreaker cab. I should reshoot these closer up. Didn't know about the 30kb file size limitation till I got them loaded.

Photo #9 is party time in the Spring that is.

Mush on America! ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
paulss

2004-01-28          75333

Murf,

The comment about how cold it is here was a joke. I've spent enough time in places where it gets to 0 to appreciate what some of you guys are going through this winter. I have to admit I've never been in anything like where you're at. The amazing thing here is when it snows it shuts down everything - schools, businesses, municipal offices. Cities south of Dallas don't have anything except sanding trucks and 90% of the population have no clue how to drive on snow or ice. The prevailing thought is if you have 4WD you're OK. I usually pass tons of them in the ditch on the rare occasion when it does snow.

Here's hoping for an early spring thaw.

Paul ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-01-29          75424

Recent dusting of 13.5 " for Long Island..its been a busy season (good) but real cold, not as cold as some of you guys of course but cold for us. I will think cab (s) next year...its fun as long as the wind is at your back..

Pictures removed by Ducati ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
JParker

2004-01-29          75434

I assume that is what Dennis meant by "Image Code", and I guess that it's because it could really chew up some space on his system as well as slow it down, but it looks good. How the heck did you do that? Feel free to reply via e-mail. ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-29          75435

yooperpete, nice lookin' rig! The windbreaker cab looks like it would keep most of the wind off of you and make thing much more bearable. How much did you pay for it if you don't mind my asking? ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-01-30          75449

If this isnt allowed then I did not know this and will stop
doing it going forward. In theory it takes up less bandwidth
then attaching a file. The image is already uploaded and a link is created.

Ducati ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-01-30          75457

Ducati996,
I like your pics, but my problem is that they 'load' automatically, seriously slowing my dial-up connection.
If you could just post the links that would be fine by me...

I hope this method of posting pics, though innovative, does not become an epidemic. The problem I see is there is no limit to the size of the file that is linked. I've viewed hundreds of pics posted by the members, but I've always had an option to not view them.
Have fun in the snow,
bliz ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-01-30          75465

Bliz,

Pictures removed...I feel for you with dial up :)

Duc ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-01-30          75480

Chief,

The windbreaker cab costs $175.95 and is designed to fit most tractors. It doesn't fit any without some extra work. It has some tubing in a "U" shape that lays horizontal just below the windshield that you feed thru the vinyl cab something like a tentpole going in a tent loop. At the right rear, I made a bracket with a small u-bolt to hang onto this tubing. At the back side of that bracket I drilled holes for a large u-bolt that goes around my ROPS. At the front by the steering wheel console they supply some brackets with suctions cups to hold the mid-part of the "U" shaped frame work up. At the left side where you enter this "U" bracket has a bolt and hinge so it acts like a door. At the left rear I made another bracket with u-bolt to the ROPS. I hook the door side onto it and hold it in place with a bungee cord. Around the side of the tractor hood are some vinle sheets that you tie on. That brings heat back to the cab. This is all we had back on the farm in the 50's and 60's before the big real cabs were offered.

Most tractor manufacturers will sell a cab which is a little more heavy duty for about $1,200.00. I'm really happy with mine with the little investment.

I would recommend this cab to anyone that wants some protection, and doesn't want a large investment and is willing to accept it as it is. It is my second year. ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-01-31          75617

Being the military I had the pleasure of Being stationed in Attu, AK. Where is that you ask. It is the last Island in the Aluetian Chain. Closer to Russia then mainland Alaska. While there one of my duties was to take weather readings daily. Ironcially in the year I was there the coldest it ever got was 19 degrees.( Then again the warmest it ever got was 58. But, Last weekend I got up and the thermometer reader -8. Come on Spring!!!! ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
BigBob

2004-01-31          75625

I live near Cleveland and plowing this week has really been a bear. After stopping many times to warm my hands under the exhaust, I felt like I could spit ice cubes. It's been single digits to mid teens and windy. We may see 30 F for Super Sunday!! ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-02-06          76104

Just some notes..

After one of the driest January's on record, we're finally going to get some appreciable snowfall. Yesterday I hooked up the blower and gave the drive a couple of passes to clear off Tuesday's 2" . Brrr.. 16F and 20MPH winds with a little blower dust sure chills the face fast. Anyway, the blower worked great, much better than in the December slush. Gravel is now frozen up solid, and I have removed almost all the loose stones so I had no shear-pin problems either. The drive runs close (10-20') to the power lines for about 150 feet, and with the chute at maximum elevation snow was hitting the 7000 Volt feed line. I lowered the chute for the next pass!
A little chain and cable lube on the nylon chute bearing and the hand crank supports made operation much easier.
Blower is a Puma64, was able to clear 12' wide drive all to one side and drop snow 10-15' away.
I can see the advantage of a cab, just can't justify the cost yet.
PS -- Added some Winter specific pics 13-20 if anyone is interested.
bliz ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
TomG

2004-02-06          76110

Good to be careful. Our distribution lines are 14.4KV but 7KV is sure nothing to sneeze at. On the fire crew, we never use water on a fire started by a down-line, and snow would be the same issue. Maybe a power deflector mentioned in another thread would be good.

Boy that blower dust sure does sting the face and my blowing is usually in below 0F temps. I've gotten real artistic with the power chute and changing my patterns to suit the wind. Still haven't gotten a snowmobile helmet but this year I cut some notches in the foam face part of a ski mask so I can wear my glasses on the outside. All they do on the inside is fog as I found out last winter.

Incidental to this thread but maybe a good thing to know for people who are around high voltage lines: If you find you're having a hard time moving your legs then the ground may be electrified. I believe standard safety advice is to put your ankles together and hop backwards the way you came. Don't sit down and falling down likely means death. Before I joined the fire crew I was involved in a fire started by a downed 14.4 K line. It's good to recognize the sound it makes and it's something I never want to hear again. I can only imagine the sound downed 250,000 K line makes--we have those around here too. ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-02-06          76116

Tom,
Just adding a little FYI for all readers...
If you must leave a vehicle involved in an 'electrical event', jump with your feet together and hop or shuffle to a safe distance. You must be completely clear of the vehicle before your feet (together) touch the ground. The idea is to keep any electrified part of the body at the same potential, hence the ankles/feet together at all times.
Good idea about ski mask modification. Snowmobile anti-fog paste works to a limited degree, but soon absorbs so much moisture it turns to ice. Somewhere I have an old full-face MC helmet, have to try it out.
bliz ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-02-06          76120

I remember reading an article somewhere (maybe readers digest) about a woman who was using a large farm tractor with some type of implement on the back (it may have been a sprayer of some sort with arms folded up. When she was finished, she was crossing a road and the boom caught the power lines. She tried to jump to safety (I believe the electric current was melting the tires on the tractor), but the current jerked her back against the side of the tractor and eventually killed her from electrocution. Have you heard of that before Tom? I have heard of current jumping but was wondering if it could pull you in so to speak? There is no way they are going to get the power shut down in time to save someone, so it would seem like it would be hopeless. ....

Let it snow let it snow

View my Photos
TomG

2004-02-07          76216

I've never heard the story and I doubt the voltages on lines close enough to the ground to be contacted would be enough for voltage to jump from the rims to the ground around the tires. If the were, it sure could happen by starting a fire under the tires. Our downed 14K line did start a bunch of fires. Suppose it could happen because if nothing else any CACL in the tires is very conductive.

I've heard stories of voltage both clamping a person on to the source as well as flinging them clear. If she didn't clear the tractor as in Blizzard's comment most anything could happen. Voltage causes strong uncoordinated muscular contractions. The usual cause of death from electrocution is respiratory or cardiac arrest and doesn't require prolonged contact with a source. One of my BIN's friends was killed a few years back in a similar situation.

On the subject it might worth knowing that you can't be sure you're safe around a downed line even if you're OK and aren't moving. Current can travel through moisture on surface material to a good ground at considerable distance. Heat from the current dries out the path and then another path, maybe in an entirely different direction, has the least resistance. That was the case in our downed lined. The bush would flare up; the fire crew would fling shovels of sand from the highway on the fire and then it flare up somewhere else. It took the utility about 1.5 hours to shut down the line. I'd be one of them doing the flinging now. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login