Go Bottom Go Bottom

Flying

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-21          71874

I've noticed a few of you folks out there do some recreational flying. Would anyone like to elaborate??

I am a liscensed Private and Instrument pilot hence the AV8R (Aviator -- get it?).

My tractor purchase was in leau of an airplane purchase, so I still rent for my aviation fixes when needed. I am checked in a Cherokee 140, Archer and Skylane RG. Hope to someday use my tractor for the prep of a grass strip somewhere.

Just another useless string started by your Uncle Larry.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Flying

View my Photos
Jules
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-21          71883

I guess I am pretty lucky, I own a Jinma 254 and N714WQ.
Jules ....

Flying

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-22          71917

I am a VFR private pilot but I am not current. I let my currency lapse when I was working in California and I did not enjoy flying in the smog and haze. I now live in New Mexico. We often have visibility over 80 miles here. Moving and so forth have not been very supportive of getting back into flying.

I really started thinking about flying again when I was on a visit to Georgia visiting relatives. I took an afternoon and went down to Moultrie and Ray Maule took me for a spin or two in one of his Maule MX7 planes. There is a Maule dealer within about an hour flight time in Durango CO. So, I am keeping my eye out for an MX7 with a Lycoming IO540 engine. I will also need to get current and take some lessons on the peculiarities of taildraggers. I expect that the proper order of battle is to get current, rent a plane or join a club, get IFR, purchase an MX7, get special training for that plane.

I particularly like the Maule because of its performance. It is a very good mountain plane and good for dirt strip landing. Flying is a good way to get around in the west where the distances are so large. It takes about seven hours to drive to Denver from here and Phoenix is about six hours. The Maule is not the fastest plane, but it would cut those trips to under three hours. But you need a very powerful capable plane to fly through mountains and to be able to lift off from high altitude strips in the summer heat. I live at 5300 ft MSL. ....

Flying

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-22          71919

Super Cub (with float kit) and an almost finished Murphy Super Rebel.

The extended family 'fleet' also includes a Commanche, a Navajo, a C182 amphib. ....

Flying

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-22          71958

I have a commercial instrument rotary wing FAA ticket with twin turbine engine rating. Checked out but no longer current in the Hughes 269/300, UH-1/Bell 209?, Sikorski S-70/UH-60A/L (checked out as Maintenance Test Pilot). Never did pursue a fixed wing rating. Would have never used it anyway. It was fun while it lasted and I guess I kinda grew away from it after doing for so long. Totaled about 2,500 hours in 21 years. Passed my first checkride as Pilot In Command (PIC) back in 1983 as a young wet behind the ears WO1 not 6 months out of flight school. I sure don't miss the checkrides every year. ....

Flying

View my Photos
Glenn-D
Posts: 54 Westmont, Illinois, summer home in Mountain Home Ar.

2003-12-22          71966

The plane I trained in is stil in service (N1910T). A Piper Cherokee 140. Back in '76 I got a private license and that works good enough. I am still shopping for a Grunman Tiger to buy. Happy trails.... ....

Flying

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-23          71986

A few hours solo here in a Luscombe 8E around Denver. Fun but it was off to school elsewhere. I never completed the license and never could get the same deal since. It was $5.00/hour all costs including insurance and with or without instructor. The club were all commercial flyers who had A&E ratings. They got deals on eveything and did their own maintenance. The 8E was a tail dragger too. ....

Flying

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-23          72005

I got my license in ' 75 flying Cherokee's and transitioned into Cessna's a little later.

I quit flying soon after moving to Alaska in ' 79. Those 8 buck-an-hour 150's I flew in SoCal cost 32 bucks up there and the FBO's forbid flying their rental planes through any mountain passes. That sort of limited the amount of fun a person could have.

I sure would like to get back into the game. Anybody had a recent FAA medical exam? What do they look at these days? ....

Flying

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-23          72010

I have time in Cessna 150, 152, 172, 182; Piper Tomahawk, Warrior, and Archer; Bellanca Turbo Viking and Decathalon; and a demo ride in a Maule MX7. I did not log the time, but I also got to fly a Dehavilland Beaver float plane with an instructor in Alaska. ....

Flying

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-23          72011

Mike, those Dehavilland Beaver float planes are kewl! Did you get a chance to do a water landing and take off? Got a lot more space and capacity in those too. ....

Flying

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2003-12-23          72012

A number of years ago two friends and I put new fabric on a '46 Aeronca Chief. Even though we had no real experience in recovering airplanes before this project we went by the book and had it inspected throughout. I even got the name "Suzie Homemaker" because I was the only one willing to run a sewing machine. At one point we had to weld on new wing strut brackets to the fuselage. You can believe I thought about those welds when I was up in the air.
Dave ....

Flying

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-23          72018

I did not take off or land the Beaver. I did get to fly it through some fantastic country around Ketchikan. I had chartered it for flight-seeing and got into pilot talk with the operator. The company owner was an instructor and took me and my wife out for a ride and I flew it with him as PIC. He did the takeoff and landing. I had never been in a float plane before.

The area we flew in is called the Misty Fijords. You can fly next to vertical rock walls and through some beautiful areas. One of the coolest things was to fly just above the water and we went over a waterfall. One moment you are maybe fifty feet up and the next you are several hundred feet high looking straight down the falling water.

That kind of flying really reinforces my desire for a Maule MX7. It is kind of like a Super Cub on steriods and you can get it built with hardpoints for pontoons. Around here, we don't have enough water to make pontoons useful, but I would probably get the mounts on the framework.

General Note: Please resist the temptation to change the direction of this thread! ....

Flying

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-23          72024

I flew beavers before I had started my licence at the airline I worked for. We would dead head back from a logging camp and the pilots would allow us to fly. A beaver is a very forgiving plane so empty there was little danger. I landed once or twice on floats.
A beaver is STOL and without floats it will perform almost like the best of them. Most were built for the US Army and were use in Vietnam for the jungle fields. There were a couple of kits to improve their performance. One was developed by Kenair in Seattle.
Their were few turbo Beavers built but are a larger plane and kind of missed the market.
The Otter was not as good at STOL, a little under powered with the large radial. No one wanted it near water with the high tip speeds. I think Kenair's turbine conversion has made the beast more popular. I have not seen one take off but on TV so seening is believing.
The Maule has good performance from the info. I only saw them on floats once or twice 20 years ago. Not sure how it compares to a Helio Currier or Cessna 180 with STOL kit. The Helio will take off in the roll length on floats without head wind and will fly less than 50 MPH. Unfortunately it has complicated leading edge flaps. The 180 with Robertson STOL kit is not as good as a Beaver on floats but much better than a standard 180 or 185.
Peters ....

Flying

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-23          72026

I expect that the Maule with a 180 HP engine performs similarly to a Cessna 182 with STOL. I flew one down a runway at about 35 MPH. The difference between airborne and landing was just the setting on the CS prop.

The thing that I really like about the Maule, however is that it will easily handle the Lycoming IO540 engine which generates somewhere around 240 HP at sea level. Combine the taildragger configuration with a 3 blade CS prop and some decent tires and you have a pretty good rough field plane that is good for fairly short takeoffs and landings. If you have a spare $500K sitting around you can even get a turboprop engine.

Maule used to have an advertising picture of an MX5 that was airborne coming out of the hanger door. I thought that it was a nice advertising picture. It turns out that it is real. I have been to the hanger where the photo was taken in Georgia. They don't do that anymore because on one attempt they clipped the top of the rudder on the top of the door opening. No crash occurred, but it ruined the day for a bunch of people. ....

Flying

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-23          72052

I saw the picture from the angle out the door I suspected they started in the hanger. The Helio would do that with with maybe the tail in the door.
I never flew a beaver with out floats but have seen them take off with floats empty and a 15 mph head wind in one length of the plane.
Have you ever seen a Buffalo make a full STOL landing and takeoff? One plane length each and this is a big plane.
I am not sure you could get me to cough up 500K for a Maule turbo. I guess I would look at something a little more rugged if I was going to spend that much. I guess Beaver are near that now though and not exactly new. ....

Flying

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-24          72090

I wasn't joking about the turboprop being available for the Maule, but I was kidding about anyone paying the price for one. I have never seen a Maule turboprop in service. For me the Lycoming engine will be just fine.

Aircraft performance is different where I live in the mountains. Some planes like a Cessna 152 can become land bound when the heated air density goes too low. Many of the 172s have been upgraded in the motors, but I am not sure what the modifications are. ....

Flying

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-24          72095

I assume that the turbine would help in this problem, but most turbines are quite thirsty. I have a few friends that are flying in New Ginuea with MAF. I would suspect that if anyone knew what to fly in the high alt. and tough conditions it would be them. I think they are flying some Pilatus. A refurbed one is 300K. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Picture Link
Just For Fun Off Topic Flying

Flying

View my Photos
AV8R

2003-12-25          72217

Mark: I maintain a 2nd class medical. Being 33 and in fairly good health the exam is little more than an eye exam and a breif physical check (heart, lungs, reflexes and med history). Nothing to be overly concerned with if you have no magor problems in your history. ....

Flying

View my Photos
Cpt.Dave

2004-04-02          81891

I flew cobra helicopter gunships in Viet Nam 69-70. I soloed in 1968.
Now I get a thrill landing a $4,000,000 Dauphine medical helicopter on the Massachusetts Turnpike during rush hour to pick up a auto accident victim. I just love backing up traffic 20 miles in each direction.The motorists always wave to me when I take off. Well it looks like a wave!!!!

Cpt.dave ....

Flying

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-02          81895

Dave, I don't think their trying to wave hello to you.

I get the same thing from people in canoes who have spent days paddling into the bush to reach the same I lake as we get to in about 10 minutes.

Their trying to say they think we're # 1 not hello.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Best of luck. ....

Flying

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-04-07          82360

This thread cranked me up and this will be pretty long. Hope I don't bore anyone.

I solo'd in '61 in a 7AC Champ. Then, over the years owned: 7CCM 90hp Champ, 11AC 65hp Chief, 11BC 90hp Chief/on floats, 108-3 Stinson/190hp/controllable prop, Cessna 170B w/stol, 2 - Cessna 180's..1 on floats/wheelskiis, Bowers Flybaby, Pitts S1S, 2 - Citabrias..1 7ECA & 1 7GCBC w/CS prop and a Decathalon 8KCAB/180hp.

I flew for the Iditarod dog race 5 years in my C170B & C180's. The dogs smelled up the interiors so bad that I finally quit volunteering (I told them to gunnysack the dogs..no luck). This was as a private pilot. I had 2500hrs by then.

In 1985 I got an interest free student loan from the State of Alaska for higher education and got my Commercial, Multi-engine, CFI, CFII & MEI. I instructed & flew air taxi part time for 5 years after work, qualifing for a 50% forgiveness for the student loan...no longer available.

Meantime, I was heavy into aerobatics and was doing airshows around Alaska and BEING PAID!! for having fun.
After an airshow just after I retired from APD I was hired to ferry aircraft for aircraft dealers.

I moved various airplanes (some were scarey!)from here to California and around most of the western states. $100/day plus expenses. What a deal! Then...my wife informed me that I had just missed our anniversary and that I had better get my butt back home...or ELSE..and..get a real job. (I thought I had one). But, when the dealer in San Jose wanted me to ferry a C310 to New Zealand..I figured that she was right, so I ferry'd a C206 back to Alaska from Denver after ferrying a Piper Arrow From San Jose to Denver (where I picked up the nickname "Wildman")(interesting story).

When I got back I took possession of my brand new 1990 Mustang 5.0 convertible and thought I'd spend an unusally warm summer top down..forget that. I got a call from an air taxi operator who had just lost a pilot (quit) and needed one right now. He heard from those dealers I'd flown for that I was a "hot stick" 206 driver, just what he needed. I interviewed, was hired, and the rest is history. It did pay well..which made the wife happy. AND..doing all of this commercially allowed me to write off the student loan on the Federal Tax. During that time I flew C172, C206, C207, PA-18, C172RG and a Beech Travelaire air taxi. Did a stint as a co-pilot on a Shorts Skyvan (how do you spell Skyvan??...L.A.B.O.R.).

So...here I am in 2004, with about 8500hrs, Still doing BFR's, tail dragger ck/outs, basic aerobatics and, recently, a new primary student, who finished his Private and is now flying skiis/wheels in his dad's PA-18.

The only accident in my career that I had was in a PA-18. I was in the back seat doing a BFR in a frined's airplane. On takeoff at around 4-500' the engine puked. Interestingly, the front seat guy thought I had pulled it and I thought he had. That issue sorted out rather quickly and I yelled "I got it". I tried to turn back but it became obvious that we couldn't make the field. All the while I was yelling "keep the nose down and don't stall". At about the 180 degree point I leveled the wings and set up for a "landing" in the trees, which looked to be 20' or so. All the while, the closer we got to the ground, the front seater kept pulling harder & harder on the stick, even as I continued to yell at him to "keep the airspeed up" (I never pushed a stick harder).

Well, I called for full flaps and we went into the trees and then hit the ground..hard. The trees were more like 70'. Engine ripped off, all the windows gone, right wing ripped back at a 30 degree angle & fuel pouring out of the right wing next to the breaker panel. I hurt like h..l!! Then I saw the fuel.

I was out of that airplane and around to the left wing while the front seater was still messing around. He was O.K. and we both survived. My L4/L5 was crunched and needed a fusion but everything is fine.

What's interesting is the tendency to pull back on the stick as the ground gets closer when this happens. This is normal..stay away from the ground. The only remedy for this is TRAINING!! Train like your life depends on it...it probably does.

That's the end to this little short story. Hope no one is offended by my being too long winded.

Flying

View my Photos
grinder

2004-04-07          82362

Great flying stories!

Flying

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-04-07          82373

Wildman, I see each of the paragraphs above turned into a chapter in a book. Sounds interesting.
Dave ....

Flying

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-04-08          82447

Shortmagnum...actually, My wife & I have discussed writing a book. We didn't have any children so devoted our lives to adventure. I really believe that if I devoted myself to chronicling our exploits it would make an interesting read. And..those paragraphs tended to go along the lines of our history. I just typed away as I thought back...And..I'm no Earnest K. Gann. (High & the Mighty..Fate is the Hunter), though, I did meet him once..at a Q.B.(Quiet Birdmen) meeting in Seattle. ....

Flying

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-04-08          82448

Shortmagnum...actually, My wife & I have discussed writing a book. We didn't have any children so devoted our lives to adventure. I really believe that if I devoted myself to chronicling our exploits it would make an interesting read. And..those paragraphs tended to go along the lines of our history. I just typed away as I thought back...And..I'm no Earnest K. Gann. (High & the Mighty..Fate is the Hunter), though, I did meet him once..at a Q.B.(Quiet Birdmen) meeting in Seattle. ....

Flying

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-04-08          82466

Wildman, I think there are lots of guys like me who at one time were "in to" flying in one way or another but for whatever reason never continued. If we can't experience it firsthand we can at least feel it through guys who have.

Why don't you just start by making an outline of various experiences and then start to fill in the details. Take each story separately and you won't have to worry about the whole thing at once. I have not done any popular writing but I have written a fair number of scientific papers and I would think that some of the process should be similar. I can't spell and my grammar is straight out of the back woods so I really have to depend on others to give me feedback.

Unlike my writing, however, you would have to be interesting. :-) ....

Flying

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-09          82553

I think both of you should write that book. My wife started writing children's books several years ago from ideas she been thinking about for over 20 years. It's a good and satisfying thing to do. It also hard work and takes a lot of time.

A few years before you soled I spend an evening with family. My father flew commercially and a fellow pilot's brother was visiting. He was a senior biologist for the Alaska government. I don't remember how senior or the exact agency. It was an evening of fascinating stories for me in my late teens. Many of the stories were about flying and if your experiences were anywhere similar it would make a fascinating book. The main thing about writing is that it's good to have a story you really really want to tell, and that's a large part of the satisfaction as well.

I think I also soled in '61 in a Luscombe 8E. I joined the AF before completing my license and ironically have been only a passenger ever since.

Despite the satisfaction of writing, getting a publisher interested is like winning a lottery. Actually selling books is mostly about small margins and mass distribution. Large publishers have large distribution. 'Do-it-yourself' publishing or 'vanity' publishing houses don't and the efforts usually come nowhere near to making back costs. But profit really isn't the point.

My wife self-published her books and by controlling production costs it has kept the costs down to what could be called recreation. She's also managed to tell her stories to hundreds of people beyond family and friends. ....

Flying

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-04-10          82698

Wildman: Please put me on the list for a copy of that book when you're done!! ....

Flying

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-04-11          82702

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. My wife of almost 40 years was scared to death of flying early on...after she saw a wing uncovered (that's ALL there is to one!!??) Then, on the way back from the "south 48" over Teslin Lake in the Yukon, and after battling headwinds and moderate turbulence for almost 8 hours and listening to the wife being terrorized by the "bumps", she lost it and began ranting about not wanting to die in the water.

I lost it and reached over and opened her door and told her that that was just about enough for one day and to get out. She promised to be good and would take the bus from Whitehorse. Well, she ended up flying all the way back with me...under control.

THEN...she learned to fly! Now she has a commercial & instrument rating and has even learned basic aerobatics. A little knowledge hurts and then helps.

She could really help and add to the book. I don't know if she would want the part about her running her Citabria into the woods on a sandbar and having it chainsawed out, in the book...but that's just another story. ....

Flying

View my Photos
grinder

2004-04-11          82706

Wildman
Now there is another great story!!
Do it!! ....

Flying

View my Photos
1910jb

2005-02-22          106627

I own N1910t and have since 1984. I,m very pleased with the aircraft.
Jim ....

Flying

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-02-22          106630

PA-28-140 is an awesom little fun machine. My father had a '140 when he was killed in his Archer back in '95. Unfortunately he left it in his will to my pos lawyer brother. He didn't even let me know he wanted to sell it. I'd love to get it back someday. I soloed and got my private in that plane.

There's a picture of my father and that little 140 on my website. ....

Link:   Wish I had it back

Flying

View my Photos
metastable

2005-02-22          106633

Grew up in SE Alaska around float planes and took many flights through weather that should have killed us all. Lost all fear of flying as a result. Finally started/obtained my license in 2000. Soloed and checked out on fixed wing at FAA minimum hours. Too expensive now, so I let my currency lapse and started flying models instead. ....

Flying

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-02-22          106637

This is a great thread and I can identify with all of you!
With going on almost 50 years of this activity and over 10,000 hours in both Military and Civilian Fixed Wing and Helicopters and instructing in both Single and Multi Land and Sea as well as instruments it is a pleasure to see both young and old alike enjoy a common bond!

Dean
CFII, MEI, (even played the Examiner game for a while)

Flying

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-22          106638

I would fly but the shaking would have to stop first!
Maybe if I was in control it would make a difference but I forsee nothing even close to that. My treestand for hunting is about as close to the clouds as I like to be
Baauukkk baukkk
Yep! That is chickens you hear. ....

Flying

View my Photos
Murf

2005-02-23          106658

Yup, undoutedly there's a bunch of us here who fly. Both Civilian and Military type, a few of us who did both.

Unfortunately some of us get a little too caught up in that game. I recently had an opportunity that few pilots get to realize dropped in my lap. The local airport went up for sale. I always kinda wanted to have one, now I do.

Now how am I gonna sneak THIS past the missus ????

Oh well, any member who wants to practice their cross-country now has a free tie-down, discount fuel, and maybe even a loaner tractor so they don't feel to lonely away from their own, LOL.

Blue skies,

Best of luck.

Link:   Baldwin Airport Inc.

Flying

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-02-23          106659

Murph, that's great!! Congratulations. I'm sure the wife will understand (or at worst roll her eyes and walk away).

I've never flown out of the country, but now you've given me a reason. ....

Flying

View my Photos
Murf

2005-02-23          106665

AV8R, your description of her reaction was pretty close.

Luckily for me, when I said "But Honey, you said I wasn't to bring anything else home. I will never, ever bring this home, I promise." hit her funny bone.

That and a $200 dinner got me out of hot water.....

Of course I'm nervously waiting for 'the other shoe to drop', she's been out car/SUV shopping lately.....

Best of luck. ....

Flying

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-02-23          106716

Hey Murf,

Just make her the gas boy and put her in charge of the Prop Wash!!

Congratulations on your acquisition!! I'm very pleased for you and now there are two of us that found a way to do what we really want to do!!

The best of luck to you!!

Dean

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login