Go Bottom Go Bottom

Carports Aluminum and galvanized steel

View my Photos
bnrhuffman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-19          69104

Im shopping for a 20'X 20' carport to put the tractor under in the summer and a couple of vehicles under in the winter. Ive got a two car garage for my toys but as Ive added a couple more toys this year so I need to keep them out of the weather.
Ive been shopping for some months now and it looks like there are several manufacturers that make basically the same product, for basically the same price. They are all available with optional wind and snow bracing but Im still not convinced that they sre sturdy enough to put my babies under, dispite the fact that several car and tractor dealers in this area have erected them without the bracing and they seem to fair just fine.
Anyone in regions that receive at least 2' or more of snow, acouple times per year, experience structural problems with there steel, aluminum carports?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-20          69157

Don't know but the building inspector in your area should be able to tell you the requirements for snow loading. Manufacturers should be able to tell you if their products meet the requirements. ....

View my Photos
bnrhuffman

2003-11-20          69170

All of the ones I've looked at advertise that they meet the requirements for this area. I dont really want to ask the building inspector. Im fairly certain that I dont need a permit to put one of these up because it doesnt require a foundation or digging but I would sooner not find out if I do so I'll just keep the building inspector out of it for now.:) ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-20          69173

If you concerned about a possible roof collapse; you can add some center support poles and that should be more than enough to prevent a snow load collapse. If you are not to keen on these types of shelters; you can try the fence pipe rail and tarp type. Worst case with these is that the tarp tears away and equipment gets snow all over it. I recommend the 1 5/8" fence pipe rail shelters. They are the strongest and if you get the steepest pitch roof for these shelters, most if not all the snow should slide off. I have a 20' x 30' shelter but used the 1 3/8" pipe tubing and wish I had gone with the heavier tubing. Take a look at pictures # 18 & 19. # 18 is the El Cheapo shelter ($120) but the other is very sturdy.

Link:   COMPLEX CANOPY MASTERS SIGNATURE FITTINGS

View my Photos
JParker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-20          69204

I was pricing these with walls and a roll up door in my area (VA). The local inspector said they do not require permits here. They consider them temporary and classify them as tents.

That got me thinking.

Then I saw a small cart cover at the local Sam's club after a freak wind in a thunder storm. Unit had been bolted into the pavement, but the side legs came apart. Maybe they left out a few parts... but it got my attention (See Pic#1).

I had a pole barn built. It cost a little more, but seems a whole lot stronger (pic#2). I wish it was still this clean and roomy. It seems to have shrunk ;)

Pic 3 gives some scale. But it appears my little truck won't pull my new toy. But thanks to those who helped with the alternate transport ideas in the linked thread.

- JP

P.S. - Great site. Best $20 I spent in a long time. I've been telling my tractor friends around here, although I wish they could read a little more while visiting like I could when I first visited. Before DW... but I understand. ....

Link:   U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer for CUT?

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-20          69206

Next spring we are planning to put up a pole barn or a steel building. JParker, do you mind telling me how much per sf you paid for that pole barn? Did you assemble it yourself? Does it have a slab floor? Why did you go with a pole barn instead of a steel building?

Thanks for any info. ....

View my Photos
bnrhuffman

2003-11-20          69213

Chief,
I already had one of the pole and tarp shelters. It fell over on my boat last winter during a heavy snow. I would have expected the tarp or bungies to give way just as you mention, but the frame bent and collapsed, leaving the tarp and bungies intact. It was one of the beefy ones that Sams Club sells.
I purchased a 20'X20' steel carport today w/8' legs and standard snow/wind bracing. The dealer says he has sold tons of them and had no complaints about them collapsing. This is supposed to be a cold wet winter so we will see I guess. ....

View my Photos
JParker

2003-11-20          69214

I'll edit this post when I have the pricing.

I had it built by a local contractor who built one as a stable for a co-worker. Just a gravel floor in mine for now. That let me keep costs down. Possibly penny wise...# foolish, but the land was freshly graded and I was afraid of settlement issues.

I have had some problems with water rising up and dampening the gravel from below. If it turns into a problem, I think I can pour a 4-6" slab on the gravel with no problems. The worst part will getting all the "stuff" out of the barn.

I didn't really consider a metal building, maybe I should have checked that out as well, but these are popular in our area.

I just noticed that this board has a forum called "Barns / Pole Barns Forum". Wish I'd known about it a few years ago. Might have helped with the floor issue.

Chief - Is Pic#20 you? Do you use a parachute on that boat? ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-21          69230

Sound like a carport decision has been made so this is just info. I'm still using a 14' x 25' arctic shelter tent that was supposed to be temporary 5 years ago. It's the pipe and tarp idea. It has withstood 100km winds and nearly 2' snow loadings. Most times the snow slides off before it gets that deep but I do rake it if it starts to build up. It sure wouldn't look as nice as a carport but it's probably enclosed better and it might be less expensive as well. I can work in it during the winter.

I solved water problems for the tent and garage too (mostly spring run off problems) by digging a 30' swale at a 3% grade to an embankment. The swale is about 1 1/2' deep at the far end so that illustrates that the drainage just wasn't adequate before the swale. It sure was nice not having to pump water over the embankment last spring. The gravel tent floor stayed dried this summer as well. ....

View my Photos
bnrhuffman

2003-11-21          69233

I appriciate your imput and everyone elses.
My tarp shelter that collapsed last winter was also a temporary solution that I bought four years ago so I got my money out of it. I would have considered the same thing again but it is time for more coverage than the single car tarp systems usually offer and I need at least 90" of vertical clearance to get both my Kubota (with ROPS up) and my dumptruck under it.

Chief,
What is the story behind pic 20?
Ive wondered that since I first started visiting this site. It doesnt look like your boat but it had to have been damaged after that.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-21          69240

bnrhuffman, definitely not my boat. I don't think there could have been one uncracked piece of fiberglass left in that hull. The guy got way to close to shore and got caught in the surf; had to take a beating to get to calmer water. I have gone over some 10 footers from the larger tow boats but nothing like that. If you take the wave at the correct angle and reasonable speed, the will tend to cut through the wave much better. When you get that far into the surf, the waves are too big to take at an angle and you are forced to take them head on. I baby my Sea Ray.

You may want to take another look at the heavier duty 1- 5/8" pipe tarp shelters. They are very strong and if you use a good tarp with bungees tensioned properly; the tarps and bungees last for several years too. A permanent fully enclosed building or barn is definitely much nicer though.

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-21          69243

Yet another reason for a 42' piece of Reg Fountains handywork Chief, LOL.

10' surf is a cause for celebration, at about 50mph...LOL

Best of luck.

View my Photos
JParker

2003-11-24          69531

I decided to re-post instead of edit since it took so long.

kwschumm - The 20 x 24 building w/ man door, 10' sidewalls & 10' x 9.5' door came in around $480 / sf last year.

In hind sight, a totally metal building may have been cheaper, I don't know. But this fit my comfort level better at the time. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-24          69534

JParker, I assume you didn't really pay $480/sf and meant $48/sf. Believe me, I'm not criticizing your choice of a pole barn over a metal building. I'd give my eye teeth for either right now! I was just curious about your reasoning.

Thanks for the info. ....

View my Photos
JParker

2003-11-24          69537

I'm not sure exactly what the CRS I keep reading about stands for, but it must be catching.

20 x 24 = 480 sf

That's where the 480 came from. The price was $6270 or $13.06 / sf.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-24          69540

Ah, $13/sf is a lot more like it!

CRS = Can't Remember Sh-t! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login