Go Bottom Go Bottom

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-23          64689

This morning it was raining pretty good and when I glance out the window I saw this LARGE coyote jogging down the center of one of our horse pastures right towards the barn. I went out side and the coyote stopped and looked at me.

The horses were under the shed or the Thoroughbred (nasty/protective SOB)would surely have ran him off. I really have never paid the coyotes much mind bedause they have never approached my house/barn before but i don't want this to become a habit for the coyote(s). We have a pet dog, rabbits, a barn cat and a 3 month old Shetland pony my daughter is always running with in the same area so coyotes aren't really welcome.

I took one shot and missed but hopefully it will discourage future visits. I really only thought I had a 50/50 chance of hitting him as it was a 50+ yard pistol shot but it was just low and kicked up some dirt at the coyotes feet.

Might have been funny if my daughters other paint pony was out he is just under 14 hands and while he is sweet to her, he hates all other animals, even tried to stomp the cat!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-23          64690

We have those mangy beasts come around periodically. In fact a few of them got together and were chasing one of my neighbors calfs. I try to shoot 'em when I have a chance - the problem is that I'm usually inside when I see 'em and they're gone by the time I load up and head out the door. For some reason my wife frowns on me shooting out the window :) ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-09-23          64691

"For some reason my wife frowns on me shooting out the window :)"

Funny!

I must have looked like a lunatic too. I am doing dishes one minute then I'm running across the field uholstering a Glock, then reholstering and jumping the fence (coyote moved) then drawing and firing :)

I did yell to my wife before I did this...she already thinks I'm nuts why convince her any further.

I would have taken follow-up shots but out of concern for the hunters who occasionally trespass on my property I didn't want to take a chance on a flyer, even though I sometimes want to shot them too :) Guess I was well trained.

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-23          64692

God I love it! Well trained? You bet bro.

Get your .22 rifle and keep it handy to the kitchen. A hollow point in the boiler room is plenty of medicine for those pests, and I'm betting you will be a little more accurate with a long gun, especially if you are my age and you are jumping fences. The last one I plunked had similar bad manners and fell to a single Winchester Power Point.

There is a MAJOR difference between us..... when I do the morning dishes, my back is to the window. God knows what the hell is going on out there while I am doing my house frau shtick. :) Mark ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-23          64693

The home office I work out of is on the top floor of our house. It has a nice view, and the ideal situation for hunting would be to poke a rifle out the window and shoot away. Alas, it is not to be - so I have to grab a gun and run down to the main floor and out the door. Usually when they hear the door open they're off and running. On nice days I can sit out and work on the deck - if they come around then I have a gun handy to pop 'em with, but that opportunity hasn't come up yet. One of these days though... ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-09-24          64695

"There is a MAJOR difference between us..... when I do the morning dishes, my back is to the window. God knows what the hell is going on out there while I am doing my house frau shtick. :) Mark"

I like that!

Actually I think I was just washing my coffee cup. My wife doesn't like my dishwashing, if it doesn't go into the dishwasher she washes it like it was a surgical instrument! Apparenty my washing skills don't meet these high standards .....good ;)

She doesn't like my clothes washing either...hmm notice a trend here?;)

I help run the kids around, do some of the shopping and until recently the vast majority of cooking(which I really enjoy). I hate cleaning and am terrible at it so this division of labor works! When company comes or a holiday I cook and she cleans.

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-09-24          64696

"The home office I work out of is on the top floor of our house. It has a nice view, and the ideal situation for hunting would be to poke a rifle out the window and shoot away. Alas, it is not to be - so I have to grab a gun and run down to the main floor and out the door. Usually when they hear the door open they're off and running. On nice days I can sit out and work on the deck - if they come around then I have a gun handy to pop 'em with, but that opportunity hasn't come up yet. One of these days though..."

I don't hunt but I do always have a handgun on my side. More for the "human animals" though :) I have many handguns but no rifles or shotguns. I should get something for varmints, it aint' easy with pistol :(

My neighbor has extensive gardens and he is more the bcakyard sniper type(very responsible though). He hates the deers and woodchucks but they LOVE his plants though :)

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-24          64698

Coming from the burbs I've mostly been a pistol kind of guy - the best rifle I have for a coyote is probably an AR-15. A lot of overkill but at least I've got a real good backstop in the mountain behind us. Maybe I'll pick up a Ruger 10/22 one of these days. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-09-24          64699

Same here, as a former city boy the only rifle toting folks around were disgruntled postal workers. :) ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-24          64712

I only tried shooting out a window once, unfortunately I HIT what I was aiming for...

I was in the bedroom (upstairs rear) when my dogs went crazy, my good lady was making breakfast & coffee in the kitchen (downstairs front), I went to the window and saw that I had nabbed a skunk in a live trap I had set to catch the racoon who raids my bird-feeders. Thinking (and I use the term loosely) I would be sprayed approaching the little guy, I opted for the 12ga. tranquilizer. Bad move, very bad move, before I could get it and I back in the window and crank it shut my wife was already gagging from the smell, not to mention the broken plates.

Tip o' the week, NEVER fire a shotgun in the house without first warning everyone, ESPECIALLY someone who ISN'T a morning person and who hasn't yet had a first coffee, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

I have since eased my way back upo to plinking red squirrels (same offence, raiding bird feeders) with an air rifle out the office window, but nothing that burns powder.

Most of the coyotes in our neighbourhood fall victim to the donkey up the road, the sheep he guards are an atractive target to the coyotes who rarely make it back out of the pasture alive, let alone fed.

Best of luck. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-24          64727

I have had a couple of coyotes move back onto my place. They were gone all summer. The male does a lot of yelping. But even though I am miles from the local town, they have high hopes and I am still within the city limits. The local police frown on the discharge of firearms in the city limits.

I have a GMC 4X4 ranch truck that is always outside. One of the coyotes seems to think that it is a good place to live and has been crawling up into the engine compartment. I did not know what type of animal it was, so I put some sticky traps in the engine compartment and they were loaded with coyote hair the next day. I am sure that Wiley Coyote did not like having those gooey rodent traps stuck to his fur, but he got loose from them. Yesterday, I used a fence charger to electrify the truck. I expect that he will get the message the next time he crawls under the truck.

I looped the fence charger to the tow hooks on the front of the truck so that I can easily see the electrical wire and not touch it myself. I have left a hose dripping under the front of the truck to make the soil nice and moist. Any other suggestions??

I imagine that I would not have a problem with the police if I used an air gun or crossbow on the varmits, but they don't make it easy to get that close.

For those of you without shooting restrictions, Ruger makes a very nice heavy hammer forged barrel 10/22 with a laminated stock that is worth the money. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-24          64731

I have seen people use 'blast cannons' very successfully on coyotes.

There is a recent return to sheep farming around my cottage due to the combination of disgustingly low beef prices and the poor terrain which doesn't support anything but grazing.

Basically they are pieces of heavy steel pipe, 9" to 18" in diameter and 12" to 24" long, they are either dug into the ground or into a small raised platform of wood. A plate of steel is welded over end and a small hose is run into the bottom, the open end facing up, the open end is usually covered by heavy steel mesh. The hose is connected to a surplus propane regulator (usually off a junked BBQ) and a 20 lb. tank. There is a spark plug & coil connected to a contact switch which is activated when something steps onto the top screen. The trap is then baited with road-kill or something recently shot, sometimes the last victim is butchered for bait.

The way it works is the propane is left just slightly open, being heavier than air it just fills the pipe, when Wiley E. Coyote comes along for a free meal he can't smell the human scent for the rotten egg gas in the propane. The bait is an easy meal and ususally irresistable, when he steps on the screen cover, which is always then directly beneath his head, the proane exlpodes, usually killing him nearly instantly. The beauty of it is, unless the victim happens to fall directly on the trigger, it is self-resetting. Either way the bang alerts the owner to check the trap.

Best of luck. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-24          64733

Scott, I thought I was the only one who is barred from washing clothes and dishes! LOL! Now I don't feel so bad.

A little Ruger stainless Mini-14 Ranch Rifle might be the ideal tool for your needs. Pretty small, the clip makes it quick and easy to load up fast, (as well as keep it safe from children with clip removed), and is pretty accurate.

The coyotes are starting to increase around here as well. They are not so bold as to come around the house yet though. The dern things are so crafty and shy that it is rare to get close enough for a good shot. It is when they start hunting in groups that worries me. Anything is fair game with them (pets included) if they think they can take it. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-09-24          64735

"Scott, I thought I was the only one who is barred from washing clothes and dishes! LOL! Now I don't feel so bad"

Mixing a red article of clothing in with the whites will get yuo a lifetime excusal :) Ooops

MURF

Yer' a madman... The farmer I help uses a simialr concoction set to fire every 15 minutes to keep the birds out of the corn fiels. He set it up and I didn't know. The next time I went there I was riding the tracot near the woods and I thought I was under attack! I thought someone was hunting with a 50 cal... that succker is LOUD. :) ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-24          64736

Murf, we must have posted at the same time. I like your idea with the propane better! Would be nice if this method worked with care thieves! Only thing is around more populated areas, you'd have to be really careful about kids messing with the trap and getting injured. I could see how that contraption could scare the living daylights out of you! LOL! You have a devious mind Murf! ;-) ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-24          64737

That's nothing, you should see my methods for ice fishing, gopher / ground hog control, and theft deterrance ....

My wife says I have too much free time on my hands, I tell her I'm just getting more ..... creative ...

By the way, if anyone has a problem with seagulls.....

Best of luck. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-24          64739

It might be interesting to put a camera on the same trigger to see how high Wiley can fly. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-24          64740

Murf and AC5ZO,

You two guys together would be an unbeatable combination on Monster Garage, and a pest control business, not to mention Real TV & Amercia's Funniest Video's!!!!! LOL! ;-) ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-24          64747

It's funny you mention Monster Garage, our family does a lot of work with draft horses, mostly in situations where mechanised logging causes too much damage.

I am working on a 'vehicle' for a friend of the family who does tree cutting and is in the firewood business also. He was using a bobcat since he could use it to carry wood and also to power a splitter, but it caused too much damage to the ground, especially in heavily treed areas where there isn't much in the way of ground cover to stop the machine from chewing up the ground.

I have designed an articulated 'buggy' which runs on 4 small tracks, two on each end, the center pivots and rolls allowing it to bend and twist to follow the earth. The entire drive-train is that out of a skid-steer loader, a 45hp Kubota diesel directly coupled to abig hydraulic pump which in turn runs a hydraulic motor at each end. The wood is carried in log form in a U-shaped swivelling steel bracket at each end. The whole thing is hydrostatic-driven and steered, with the engine at one end, and the stand-up operators station at the other end. A standing operator means they can see over the load and therefore easily run the machine in either direction negating the need to turn around to run back and forth between cutting place and loading place. It has a self-contained hydraulic boom so that it can load and unload itself, or load a truck or firewood processor directly if need be. The entire machine was designed to be under 6' in width and just under 16' in length so as to be manueverable and easily transportable.

After the prototype is up & running the next project is to make a one peice affair which will cut & split the wood in one single step.

Wacky ideas are my specialty...

Best of luck. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-24          64748

As much as I like the blast cannon idea I just can't get past the idea of watching pieces of the neighborhood dogs go flying across the pasture :) I need something a bit more surgical.

It's time to buy a good .22 rifle. The Ruger 10/22 and Mini-14 sound like maybe they'd be appropriate - any idea on the going price for those rifles might be?

A few weeks ago there was some discussion here about using CB caps - would those take a Coyote? And, don't laugh, would it be feasible to shoot CD caps out the window when the wife is at work? :) I have good coyote opportunities at least weekly but those wily bastards always take off before I can get out the door.

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-24          64750

Murf, I would love to see a picture of that machine when you get it finished. Sounds like a very practical idea.

Ken, I am not sure but in my area, Walmart still sells rifles and shotguns. Next time I am in there, I will check on some prices. I purchased a stainless and blued Mini-14 many years ago from the Rod & Gun club in Germany and I paid about $435 for the stainless and about $375 for the blued barrel. I also have a Mini-30 which fires 7.62mm x 39mm aka SKS & AK-47 ammo that is not a bad choice either. The ammo is cheap anyways. I used to buy it in bricks of 1350 for around $79. I am sure those prices have changed. Even a good bolt action would be more than ample. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-24          64758

If you are very accurate a CB cap would kill them... noticed I said kill..... not knock em down. They will no doubt run and bleed out in a few minutes.

Better yet might be the Remington sub-sonic loads which have a heavier bullet and more speed.

In any case you would have to get a clear broadside shot and make sure it goes through the lungs or into the earhole.

Shooting out the window is something I do all the time. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-24          64760

Ken, you can shoot a .338 Mag out the window when the wife is at work. It is best to open the window first, however. CB caps are too small for a coyote. You need a full power .22LR at the minimum. The Ruger Mini 14 is a .223 and is MUCH louder than a .22LR like the Ruger 10/22. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-24          64762

Hmmmm, selective & surgical, huh?

How about a plexi-glass sided box-trap, substitue the propane hose for a CO2 line and an electric gas release valve, with an electric door release mechanism controlled by a radio controlled airplane or car type transmitter, receiver & servos.

When the trap gets something you look out the window and determine the catch o' the day is, if it's the Fido from dowwn the road, you flip the 'get out of jail free' switch, if it's Wiley, he gets the nitey-nite switch.

Of course a steel mesh floor and an arc welder would work too, but it might raise a few eye brows, and smell a bit...

Best of luck. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-24          64765

Thanks for the info. If I wanted to use .223 I'd probably just stick with my pre-ban AR15. I've wanted a .22 for awhile so the 10/22 sounds like just the ticket. I'd like to shoot out the window and minimize noise while doing it - the cat and dog need their hearing too! ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-24          64766

You need a little more voltage than you normally get out of an arc welder (70 V) My electrified truck has 400 VAC on the body right now, but the current is limited to make it only painful and not lethal to an animial the size of a coyote, dog or me. A fence charger or a bug zapper will genuinely ruin Wiley's day and won't kill any neighbors, neighbors' pets, or you.

If you are out for blood, then get a transformer from a neon sign and light him up. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-24          64767

Murf, you're as wiley as the coyotes I want to nail! ROTFLMAO!

I could trap 'em and shoot 'em when in the trap, but there doesn't seem to be much sport in that. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-24          64769

Ken, if you keep an eye out; you can catch stores like TSC that have "get you in the door" specials on .22 semi-auto rifles real cheap. I got my Marlin-Glenfield .22 semi-auto 18 shotter with a scope many moons (about 33 years I think) ago at Zayres before they went out of business for $39 but stores like Walmart, TSC, and others still have similar sales. These rifles are very inexpensive and are accurate enough for what you want to do. The Ruger 10/22 you mentioned would do just fine. Alot easier on the ears too as you suggest. I would suggest you stick with the .22 long rifle hollow points. I have made consistent accurate shots up to 100 yards with these, although 50 - 75 is more reasonable. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-24          64770

Chief is right about the specials. Sporting goods places like Big 5 also have specials like that. You can often find basic .22 rifles for around $70. Don't forget about a used gun either. My favorite .22 is a pump action Remington that is older than I am.

Automatic, lever action, pump, bolt action will all work for varmit control. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-24          64772

Used 22's are a real bargain. I'm useing a 20 year old 10/22 for the out the window stuff. Because I have closer neighbors I stay away from the HP's and go with solids. I like to hit in the head so what ever needs to be gone doesn't take its last step into the neighbors yard. I find that sometimes the HPs split when they hit skull bone and you getting a chargeing wood chuck. I think full msrp on a new 10/22 is around $140 ish. They all work well. I put a little scope on mine from cabelas. I think I'm going to have to import Murf to put him after our beavers. The bachelors roam this time of year. When we were leaving a couple of weeks ago one of the trappers was pulling out with a 45 pounder. It seems like the coyotes should eat them instead of my deer. Dave ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-24          64773

Thanks guys, since I have the luxury of time I'll keep my eyes peeled for some specials. We don't have TSC's out here, but GI Joes, Bi Mart, and Wally World all have specials from time to time. I like to buy from the local gun shops but I gotta say - the service is much better at the chain stores. It seems like the guys in the local shops all have attitudes even when I spend a lot of money there. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-24          64774

Dave, I guess after 9/11 it's pretty tough to find C4 down there, so I guess I'll have to bring my own with me....

Oh, wait a minute, you were meaning the 4 legged variety right?

The others are best lured in with a Rolex ....

ROFLMAO.....the wife doesn't understand why tractors have become so funny recently..... thankfully.

Best of luck. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-24          64775

If you try crossing the border with a load of C4, I am going to be seeing you on FoxNews.

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
Murf

2003-09-24          64776

My name is Murphy, you may have heard of our law ....

If I tried going somewhere with a load of C4 you would most likely see me in the northern sky, a faint glow and a low rumble.......

But I bet I'd take a few beavers or coyotes out too....LOL

Laughter IS the best medicine.....

Best of luck. ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-24          64778

Murphy's law is not widely taught in the schools, but most every engineer gets practical experience with it in his first job. This generally comes after a bold statement like, "What could possibly go wrong!" or "How bad could it really be!"

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-24          64781

lol, now Murf you know where mules carry that stuff dont ya ! lol. Dont hit any big bumps on the way over and keep your legs crossed. I always thought that murphs law was a result of my first marrige :( Now if I were a betting man I'd venture a six pack wager that I'm not the only one here polishing my rolex on sunday morning. Blue and gold looks good on a fountain ! The funny thing about coyotees here is that when I was growing up their were none. Dureing deer season on those silent gloomy cold mornings you can hear them whoopin it up in the cedars. Leave the c4 and just bring your golf cart Murf. Were only a few hours away and you wont run out of room. Theres five miles of gated private road between the main gate and my gate so make sure you got her juiced up. We'll send the ladys shopping. When I saw that damn beaver in the back of the truck I almost started laughing. Every time I see a beaver for the rest of my life I am going to think of you guys. AHHHHHH ! Dave ....

Bold Coyote

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-29          65068

Attaching the electric fence charger to the pickup truck when I am not using it (of course) has worked to keep the coyote out of the engine compartment. It has been well over a week and I have not had the problem again.

We raised German Shepards on the farm and we had an electric wire as the top wire of the dog pen. It was over five feet high, but some of the dogs could climb/jump the fence. They only hit the wire once and never tried again. Hopefully Willey Coyote has some of the same genetic programming and I won't need to keep the truck "wired" indefinitely. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login