Go Bottom Go Bottom

Guess What flew over the house today

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-06          56898

Click on Pics for a D-Day remembrance

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-06          56901

Can't mistake the sound of those radial engines burning. Great pictures and you were right on the spot with the camera. Did you get a very good look at the nose? I think the Memphis Bell is still at Mud Island in Memphis but that is probably from the Confederate Airforce. Thanks for the pics! Enjoyed them! ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-06-06          56904

Hey Mark, great pics. Now I want to know what kind of digital you were using and how much $? I've been thinking about buying a camera and haven't decided which one yet. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56906

Exactly the question I was going to ask too Billy. They are some great shots. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-06          56915

It is a Fuji FinePix A 303. I got it online at Costco.com ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56941

How cool is that and on the right date too ! ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-06-06          56960

The only thing that sounds better than the 4 radials in sinc. are 4 RR Merlins. I used to live down from the Hamilton airport and was around when they first fly their Lancaster after is lengthy rebuild. No sound like it except maybe 4 P-51's flying in very close formation. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-06          56962

Peters, you wouldn't be a G. Gordon Liddy fan would ya? He plays a Merlin fly by audio every morning at the start up of his radio show. Love it! ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-06          56968

We are getting ready for the selfridge air show here. Getting excited about it. My wife has never been to a air show before. I went to Embry-Riddle Areonautical University in Daytona Beach a couple of years and they used to have a major show every summer. ....

View my Photos
homedad5acre
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-08          57106

My guess would be a B29.

Great pictures! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-08          57107

Close. B-17. ....

View my Photos
dcsmith01

2003-06-08          57114

Those are just awesome shots. Was there an air show? I would think you could hear that bad boy coming? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-06-08          57117

Certainly looked like a B-17 to me.

No I do not listen to talk radio I find very little constructive talk there. A lot pointing of fingers and very little solutions or logic. Nearest I can figure it appeals to the same crowd that loves pro wrestling trash talk. About the closest my dial turns is Dr. Dobson. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-08          57125

DC.. It was an open house at our local airport, and you bet I heard that old war horse coming. They also had a German bomber on display I forget which one. They were selling rides on the B-17 .

Peters, you could do worse than listening to Dr. D and FOF. Do you ever tap into his web site? Have found some amazing pictures there. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-08          57134

Mark -

Great shots! I saw these the other day at the same moment that you were (up/down) loading to the site. Could not register comments at that point in time.

Unfortunately, I never have my camera handy to grab such photos. Case in point, this past winter, I heard a terrific whine heading south over the lake in VT, and in my direction. When I stood up and perched out from the barn in the deep snow, I could see what appeared to be AF-1 descending rapidly towards the lake. All that I could think that the pilot was gonna try to set this bird down on the frozen lake, certainly is big enough.

As I ran back to the house to grab my camera, not knowing for sure what was going to happen next, the bird took an extreme hard right bank turn heading west. This baby leaned over so far, I thought the thing was a sure hit in the mountain that it was approaching. You really had to be there at that moment to appreciate just how low of altitude she was flying at. To this day...I still wonder why it missed the treetops!

Your photos depict an era of aviation that tells a tale like no other. Congrats on those pics!

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
AMP762

2003-06-12          57437

Mark,I can't believe that posthole digger flew over your house,what kind of tractor did you have it on? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-12          57440

Hey! If Willie can have a flying waterheater, I can have a flying post hole digger.

Besides, haven't you ever heard the expression when a plane crashes that it "augered in"?

I rest my case.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login