Go Bottom Go Bottom

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-07          50694

You'll love this. This morning our manager came in and told that now on one of the State Routes near here they have send two people to act as crossing gaurds for DEER! Yes there is a nice field of corn that the farmer didn't get in and there have been some deer hit there. Two weeks ago they put up bigger signs and flags as the Deer have worn a path in to the snow where they are crossing. They are using radios and are stopping traffic for them to cross. Only in NY!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-07          50700

GEE WHIZ Art! I thought we were the only ones with STUPID TREE HUGGERS and BARK EATERS! (ITHACA) They whine about the damage to their BMW's, Audies, Volvos... Damage to their gardens (Whaky Backy?) BUTTTTT don't hunt poor little "Bambi"! GO FIGURE!!!

Of course Ya-all hav a couple of MORON U's up there in Clinton and Hamilton. Ya gootta luv em...

Is it volunteer duty with OT? :-)

Harvey ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-08          50749

In Michigan back in the early '70's there were highway signs that said, "DEER CROSS HERE." At the time I sort of wondered if there were deer police that popped out of the bushes and gave offending deer tickets for j-walking. But then, I don't know how much of a literacy rate you could expect among deer. Deer police and deer crossing guards--what more could be asked from a drive in the country. Nice work if you can get it though. ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
harvey

2003-03-08          50754

Had to send another one. Got too snickering after I posted... A year or so ago a group of PETA (people for ethica treatment of animals) comming out of Mass? or NY? after a big rally... hit a deer on the thru way... lawsuit started toward state because they have failed to do more to control the deer population and keep them out of the roads... TOO MANY WHACKO's out there... ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
Peters

2003-03-08          50765

Harvey;
I guess you could issue the PETA people with a bag of rubber population contol units and get them to hunt and apply them during the rut.
Don't discount this idea, it could releave the the law suit problem, but not in the manner PETA might envision.
Naturally it would be more effective if we sent them after the ones with the larger racks, like Bullwinkle.

Art
I don't think the farmer will be laughing if they decide to allow the guards to remain in to the summer.

Peters ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-03-08          50766

Careful there guys... I am a member of PETA. And you screwed up the name.... It is: People Eating Tasty Animals. ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
plots1

2003-03-09          50799

I like that mark , guess im a member of peda also. they sure are tasty. LOL ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
plots1

2003-03-09          50800

i ment PETA ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
Peters

2003-03-09          50816

In KY you could shoot the deer at any time of the year if they were distroying your crops.
I keep thinking of having the state set up the crossing guards and the farmer nailing them as they crossed into his field. ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
bullworker

2003-03-09          50824

i'm up here in mass,near the northamton/ amherst area, one woman called the highway garage and asked them to remove the deer crossing sign from near her house because she did'nt want the deer crossing there, go figure. ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-10          50859

Woman must have been reading those Michigan signs. Maybe she figured it wasn't a good idea to have those educated deer around. They may read signs but you know none of them have insurance.

Maybe a political leader could come to the fore and initiate some legislation. Deer must carry evidence of insurance or they can't be on a road. Yep, seems like that would cure all sorts of problems, and just think of the employment for deer police it'd create.

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
docksknotinn

2003-03-15          51181

peters; I think in Michigan that farmers can get permits to shoot the deer that are destroying their crops as well. My home is right against a major metro park north of Detroit. The DNR ( I have a few choice acronyms ) says there should be about 700 deer here and I think after their last aerial count there is about 2000. They started doing archery hunts in the park. I love to sit on my deck and heckle the pitas. lol. Its pretty darn discourageing to come home from deer camp and have a 170 class 12 point eating out of your bird feeder 15' from the deck. I have a 500 # Black bear on my property up north who is a ornry cuss and lives in the cedar draw. Lets gather them PITA folks up and point em to the swamp for a protest....they can push the bucks out. LOL ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2003-03-15          51199

Here in the great state of Indiana, we have in place legeslation that require ALL deer to wear small apparatus on thier heads that make a high pitched whistle to warn unsusspecting motorists of thier presence. We call them Car Whistles.

The deer can purchase them at any Wal-mart or auto parts store.

The problem seems to be the fact that the deer are a little strapped for cash and the $1.98 is out of thier price range.

New legislation was passed to give the deer this $1.98, however it has also been ineffective because the deer keep getting hit on their way to register for the giveaway.

This seems like the proverbial chicken and the egg problem. I'll keep you posted.

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-16          51247

And so a surviving deer got so depressed by the situation that he walked into a bar and with a mournful voice said 'I'll have a double, no a triple and neat.' The bartender says 'Gee, why the long face?" I think I've got to stop this. ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
mikefitts

2003-05-21          55244

Forget crossing guards! In Alabama this crossing sounds like a good place for a stand! ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
Stan

2003-05-21          55261

Don't know what the lady was worried about - I've never seen a deer or a moose cross near the signs when I'm ready for them, its always miles later. ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-21          55270

i agree with mikefitts sounds like a good spot to fatten the freezer. LOL ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
Murf

2003-05-21          55279

Peters Rubber Population Control Devices comment gave me a better idea.

How 'bout we dress the PETA people up in doe costumes, spray them LIBERAL'ly (pun intended) with doe sent and tie them out during the rut, I think a 12 point buck or two might teach them something about 'Ethical Treatment'...

Around here the DOT people came up with a marvelously bureaucratic 'solution', in areas of heavy deer concentration they are clearing the brush back a long way from the highway so the motorists can see the deer from further away.

It works great too, now the motorists hit each other instead of the deer because now they're watching all those cute little deer browsing in the open area next to the highway, instead of watching where they're driving, now that's progress. The deer get fed & entertained.

Best of luck. ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-21          55280

people crashing cars is a good thing for me beings i work in the auto body industry. not wishing to see people gettin hurt or nothin but like to see them cars connecting. ....

Deer Crossing

View my Photos
harvey

2003-05-22          55381

Funny this topic came back up. I was hee-hawing with a couple of guys about road kills and of course my brothers name came up. His idea has been to mount a bale spear on the front of his pick up and go hunting... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login