Go Bottom Go Bottom

XP Hell

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-06-28          39900

Well I am back on line. I had the Win 98 load up and crash on the desk top and the hard disk die on the laptop.
After clearing the the desk top hard disk I tried to reload the 98 from the OEM disks. Had the system loaded but it would, not load all the files and would not talk to the modem. Help.
It would not reload again off the disks.
Went to my local MS extortionist and purchased a new copy of XP upgrade. XP would not read the corrupted files or the OEM disks.
Well after 2 days of fighting we are now back on line minus all the original software.
Laptop next.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

XP Hell

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-06-28          39904

I was just wondering today where you had gotten to. I will cancel the APB. Welcome back. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-06-29          39911

Eric, Got the following from my virus protection guys a couple days ago:

McAfee.com has raised the risk assessment of W32/Yaha.g@MM
to MEDIUM RISK FOR HOME USERS. This mass-mailing worm
attempts to disable security software, including anti-virus
and firewall protection, leaving infected systems vulnerable.

So do you think it was a virus? Kinda weird something wipes out two computers at once. Have you tried writing zeros to all sectors of the drive? Sometimes the only thing that works is to completely erase it and reload on a clean sheet.
Mark ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
Peters

2002-06-29          39920

Mark;
No the desk top I had been nursing along for nearly a year. The lap top HD grinds when it is fired up. I have had a personal computer for 20 years now and had a lot of HD go bad in the earlier days. Thank God for amorphous Diamond vacuum coatings.
I don't open mass mailings unless I know the company.
Eric ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-06-30          39932

Twenty years? Wow. Is it true there was a little chute in the back where you shoveled in coal with a spoon? And it was the coal dust that ate up the hard drives? ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
cutter

2002-07-02          39973

Funny you guys would mention that. I have been battling with error messages in internet explorer and finally was unable to download files or navigate. It all started when I installed the Mcafee security center and then deleted a couple of programs to free up RAM. I have 98 first edition. Fortunately, the software I purchased with my machine four years ago came with Drive Image SE that segments my hard drive into two parts and backs up your software profile. I formatted C drive and reloaded with Drive Image, a real time saver. Happily, my last backup did not include these errors and other than the heat doing funny things to it now, it appears to be fine. This is the first year I can remember having it act strangely due to temperature, but after being shut down all night (it usually runs non-stop) it is fine in the cooler morning air.

Radio Shack has one hell of a deal on a Compac laptop, $599. I already have one supplied by my employer or I would have been taking one home from the mall Saturday night. If the desktop continues to give me problems, I will pass this four year old on to the son and go for a new Gateway with the LCD flat screen. I stopped at the factory store in Henrietta N.Y. last Thursday. They are running a special on the old white case as opposed to the "new look" silver and black for $999. It won't matter to me what color it is.

XP Hell

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-07-02          39976

I cannot run my desk unit or my laptop 24/7. Especially the laptop. Both have Windows 98 SE. Both get really confused after a couple or three days. The desk top will just sit there and take forever to execute simple commands. The laptop makes up its own commands for random key strokes. A shut down and restart will normally put them back on track and thinking right, except the laptop won't always shutdown on its own. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
Peters

2002-07-02          39978

I had an Apple I at work and an XT clone at home at one point. For real computer trivia I had an Alto in my lab at Xerox.
The problems with my desktop (98 SE) began when I loaded McAfee vertual antivirus onto my machine. Around the same time I loaded some files off an old hard disk into the computer.
At that point it was nip and tuck that I could get it restarted in windows. I bought Norton Works and deloaded all the McAfee material and corrected what I could.
This was about August a year ago.
There were still problems but I could live with them. The problems just kept spiralling down hill until I could not do anything but reformat and reload.
Unfortunately I could not get the original disks to reload properly. I had changed the CDRW and I guess it would not read the zipped files correctly. I installed 2 other drives I had sitting around but could not get both zipped disks loaded.
I have not found Win 98 very stable. Version 1 had a lot of bugs. I was not inpressed as to MS requiring people to pay to fix their mistakes in SE.
I checked with a number of computer friends and they referred to ME as a virus. I gave serious consideration to switching to Linix.
I ended up loading an XP upgrade version. Unfortunately despite having a number of copies of Win 98 I could not get them to read. I had to borrow a copy from someone.
We are up and running now but all the operating software I had will not load. My DVD software, my CDRW software, my printer software etc. Some of it you can obtain upgrades from the web but others not and they want to charge you for the material.
Now I am learning the new system and spending lots of time trying to get it back to normal. Maybe Linix would have been less work and cheaper.
End line is it will cost more that $200 to get the old computer software upgraded. As you can get a new system for $700 without the added work, well you can see where I am going. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-07-02          39981

I have found that a real good way to foul up windows 98 is to start upgrading to the latest Outlooks, Media Players or the latest greatest version of anything that didn't exist when the software was issued. I don't know how many times I have upgraded to the 5.01.4000 version of something only to have it tie up the computer. I have had to delete most of that stuff and go back to the original programs just to keep things running. And I have wasted a hundred hours in the process. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
Billy

2002-07-02          39986

My computer will soon be 5 years old and still using WIN95. Just think of all the heartache and money I've saved not upgrading everytime. Mr Gates wouldn't like this!

That's the way the computer business is. They will upgrade you until you're broke. How many times in the last 2 years has Intel came up with a faster processor? Every new Windows operating systems wants more RAM. That helps the memory people eh? It's a big rip off, that's all it is. Then they sell you something that's full of bugs. BUT, by then they have your money.

Billy ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
cutter

2002-07-02          39993

Explorer 6 combined with the Mcafee upgrades is what finally did mine in. I went back to IE 5 and just the firewall along with viruscan and so far so good. It is difficult to not upgrade the virus software, it has saved my butt a number of times due to infected e-mails. I too have scores of hours in software de-bugging Eric, and if this latest re-configure fails, it's off to the Gateway store. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-07-03          40010

I'm also working with a corrupted W98 system and I associate the corruption with McAffe software--or at least my possibly improper use of it.

I paid for MS tech assistance and thought it was money well spent even if it didn't solve the problem. By phone, we went through several fixes, and the tech concluded that the problem wasn't correctable without reinstalling W98 from scratch--which also means reinstalling all applications software.

My applications software and also W98 have histories of updates from the web. Some of the software came from the web and the companies have disappeared. Neither myself, nor the Norton software I now use, really can keep track of the hordes of DLL files that riot whenever called upon by the registry.

I think that every Windows machine that has operated for awhile becomes sort of like human genetics. It's unlikely that any two ever were or ever will be identical. Reinstalling WIN and applications software is unlikely to get back the same machine I had, so I'll just live with my WIN98 problems until it's time for a new machine. I credit the MS tech assist with keeping me from trying to fix the WIN problem and probably end up giving myself a terminal operating system problem.

Actually, the WIN environment itself may be the real problem. I’ve installed and operated UNIX and VMS systems myself with far fewer problems. WIN seems like a real cancer and maybe I’ll take a look at LINEX, MAC or some alternative. Happy to hear Peters is back. Guess that if I can hear him, then he’s not in the woods.

XP Hell

View my Photos
cutter

2002-07-03          40013

I have toyed with the idea of a Mac but have never used one. How much of a learning curve would be involved if I were to switch? Most users I have had contact with prefer it over Windows of any version but I am hesitant due to its possible limitations, imagined or factual. Is it compatible with most internet sites, word programs search engines etc?? ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
Peters

2002-07-03          40018

It has been a while since I have used Macs. We had a Mac lab at the university back when they first arrived.
Most of the software is available in Mac versions. The OS is less complicated than the windows envirionment. My big problem is all the windows software I have and some things such as Autocad are not availaible in windows versions.
The XP is the first home version of window that is not operating in the Dos environment and its associated baggage. Like the NT it should be more stable. To date I find it better as I have not had hard crashes as I did with the eariler versions. If you get a clash you can shut the program down.
Big brother (aka MS) is going to stop supporting Win 98 eventually forcing everyone to switch. I guess the question is to what. At 200$ for the equivalent to 98 and 100$ for the cut down version, Linix at 40-60$ will look apealing and so will Apple. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
cutter

2002-07-03          40020

It is amazing that the same huge company that builds several versions of operating systems can't/won't make them compatible with each other. Our corporate software is both NT and 2000. If you log on to the intranet at one station supported by 2000, you may find your profile trashed when you go back to another station running on NT. The original plan was to have everything changed to NT and then half way throught the project, woops not all programs will run on it so we weave 2000 throughout the system. Both my desktop and laptop are NT, so I cringe when I am at a remote site and need to access a database on a 2000 machine that could delete me from the planet. Some day I am sure the government will find a way to get hold of it all and then surfing the net and customer support will be like the service at the motor vehicle department. At least for now we have a choice of which set of problems we want to deal with. I am going to take a serious look at the Mac. Thanks for the input Tom. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-04          40043

Thanks for the kind words. I think Peters provided the experienced comments regarding MAC. I've done a bunch of image and music related work with Windows software, but I haven't used Mac. I've always envied what can be done with the ones I've seen though.

The early limitations of Mac were on-line storage and software availability. These limitations may be not as great now, but Mac probably still doesn't have the market size to attract many independent software developers. I’d keep in mind that a PC doesn’t have to run either DOS or Windows as an operating system.

The comment that MS may drop support for WIN98 doesn't surprise me--it seems like it was the last version to work very well. For sometime MS has been reminding me of IBM during the early PC days. In the dying days of the mainframe, IBM figured out how to lock customers into 40-year old operating systems and dysfunctional applications software. The main effect was to require customers to buy a lot of expensive hardware to get anything like acceptable performance. More hardware wasn't that great however. The preponderance of instructions on the huge 370 processor instruction set were specific to supporting the hardware or the operating system--not much room left over for the user. The company that specialized in serving itself designed machines that spent most of their time serving themselves. Some things never change.

XP Hell

View my Photos
Peters

2002-07-05          40064

XP is based on the NT platform and therefore runs and opertates better without the DOS encumberance, but has some of the NT driver limitations to date.
The a new MAC's run on the RISK opertation set and therefore has a more Unix type stability and operating instructions.
The new XP has a more Unix feel about it with true multitasking etc.
I guessed everyone missed my computer trivia, the Xerox Alto was the computer that Apple's Jobes saw and copied the windows type operation system for the MAC.
For the document processing Xerox STAR system, the second generation of the Alto is just begining to be matched after some 20 years or more.
For example after the Xerox patents have expired MS has just introduced optical mice. The Alto had an optical mouse circa 73. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
cutter

2002-07-05          40066

I just finished disassembling my computer and cleaning the components. Seemed like I had just done that but when it started slowing down in this cooler weather after a couple hours use, I opened the case. A good deal of dust had collected on the fins of the heat sink for the processor and in my haste to re-assemble, I broke two fins off the tiny cooling fan so it is out of balance and noisy now. I guess when all else fails, check the simple things. Off to the computer store this afternoon. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-07-05          40074

I have a Sun Sparc station at home running Solaris 8 and a PC running Linux Mandrake 7.1. Solaris is now a free download and is available for Intel-based machines.

Funny thing is that I'm a Windows LAN admin by day. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
Peters

2002-07-06          40096

I guess I would like a Silicon Graphics work station, but I am $ restricted.
pbenven what is you honest opinion of the XP. Below is the Amiga communities opinion of 98 and ME, which I probably subscribe to.
Windows 98/Me definition
"A 32 bit extension and graphical shell, for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system, originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition."

XP Hell

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-07          40109

That's a clever opinion. An IBM engineer I knew in the 80's said that one of the PC problems was that management panicked and brought the PC to market from a prototype without the usual R&D engineering time spent. The results were a bunch limited designs that we still live with--after all the R&D folks were just sort of playing with this curious toy and then somebody said 'it's going to market.' The IBM PC probably wouldn’t have competed successfully in the market if ‘users’ rather than ‘systems’ types had been doing the buying.

Of course, the rush to market doesn't explain why the AT chip couldn't run in protected mode and why the 386 chip had memory registers that couldn't hold addresses long enough to support much multi-tasking, but can't blame that on IBM exactly.

Like a Greek tragedy, we seem to be doomed to suffer punishment for the sins of our ancestors. Organizations that find some success tend to just keep doing enhancements and variation on themes till limitations in the original thinking kills the act. Tractor companies do the same thing. Got to remember that the original Windows came out during the AT days. Current versions are still built on a foundation of very old thinking and we have to suffer for the sins of a bunch of very well rewarded ancestors.

XP Hell

View my Photos
cutter

2002-07-08          40164

I installed a larger heat sink as well as a larger cooling fan on the old AMD processor. The computer store seemed happy to get rid of the outdated part for $15. It is much better now although it still slows down after about two hours use as opposed to the original one hour. The mouse seems to skip slowly around and the hard drive makes noises as though it is opening a program or working on something, very strange. I will try a scan disc and defrag tonight but I doubt that will help, I am stumped. Those people in that computer store were very helpful and have some pretty nice deals going on custom machines. Everything I need in a computer for $750. Nice flat screen monitor for $150 would top things off....Priced Gateway and Dell, about the same as the custom but I can't look them in the eye when something goes awry. The only drawback is the lack of software support, I believe the big boys have that down pretty well and include a toll free number. Has anyone had any experience with this type of service problem or needed software support from these folks? I had a hardware problem with this Inteva while under warranty and received great service over the phone. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
Billy

2002-07-09          40196

I bought a Dell about 4 years ago. The keyboard went out twice. Called them up and they sent a new (2) keyboard overnight express. The cdrom went out when it was 2 years old. They sent a new one overnight express.

Billy ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-07-09          40198

Billy,
Was it out of the warranty period?

Dennis
CTB ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
Billy

2002-07-09          40201

It was out of the home service warranty but not the total warranty.

Billy ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
Peters

2002-07-09          40202

Cutter;
The only Dell I have had was a laptop about 3 years ago, although we had a few 10 years ago to run interferometers at work. I did not have any real problems with the laptop over the couple of years I had it, so can not speek to Dell service. We did with the desk tops on the Interferometers and new parts were shipped overnight.
I have only worked on one Gateway and that was a friends old 166 486. I had an Acer at the same time and did not think the Gateway system compared at all. Up until recently I always thought that they were a step behind in terms of technology and the price seemed high.
The last system I bought was a HP, but I would not necessarily recommend it now.
I like the extended waranties on the Dell and the Compaq. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
cutter

2002-07-09          40207

Thank you both for the input. If I compare machine for machine, they come very close in price and hardware. I am a service nut and want support to be there when I need it, even if I have to pay a bit more up front. I am in a quandry at this point, a co-worker offered me his three year old IBM (has had multiple problems with it but is ok at this time), 19" monitor and cheap printer for free, he just upgraded to a Compaq. I can now give that to my son and see if this one will keep going another year, but I am sick of constantly having to work on it...ahh...decisions, decisions. The thought of looking at a Mac is inviting as well, I have the time now.... ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-07-09          40218

Gateway has been real good to me. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
Peters

2002-07-10          40240

Onward and upward. Ordered a lap top hard drive on the internet 10 gig for 75$. I did not think I could be price. I guess I will be tackling reloading it over the weekend. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
Peters

2002-07-12          40315

Well the laptop is working, but the Win 98 will not update. Thankyou MS.
I am not sure how the 10 GB turned out to be 8 GB. The package on the drive read 10. My computer read it as 8. Oh well 8 is double of the 4 it was. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
cutter

2002-07-12          40318

I'm surprised you haven't figured it out Eric. One gig for taxes and one gig for Billie's commision. You still got to keep 80%, better than we do in NY! ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
Peters

2002-07-13          40319

Cutter;
Must be like virtual pay. I BG just slices off 2 gigs in formating. I new they were bad at writing code efficiently but?
I checked the disk surface there does not seem to be anything wrong the the disk.
Where is Dennis hiding he must be able to help us computer neophites. I only get into it when something goes wrong with my systems. I don't enjoy it. I still consider computer and robots a dumb tool.
I guess we need to try out Dennis's new word search. "That snivelling DennisCBT" Now lets see if he picks it up. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-07-13          40327

Hmmmm!
My eggshell ego is shattered!!!
Dennis
CTB ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
Peters

2002-07-13          40331

So much for the word search test. Where did my 2 GB go?
I am getting more confused it is like it partitioned the disk without addressing the partitions. The disk space under systems tools read 2 GB with no information on it.
All other drive space indicators read 8 GB with information on it. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-07-13          40333

Most of your 2GB went to those tricky marketing guys. If you look at the info for most hard drives (maybe all now) it shows that the drive is stated as 1,000,000,000 bytes is a gigabyte. As for the formatting of the drive your computer considers 1,073,741,824 bytes to be be 1 gigabyte and then the sector size wastes some space and you loose some to overhead, therefore your 10 GB drive formats as somewhere in the 8GB range. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-07-13          40336

Sounds to me like some sort of delayed Y2K scenario. I knew it was all true, I never doubted it for a minute! ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-07-13          40338

Its been a long time since I used Win 98 but I thought there was a limit in thatg OS on how big a drive you could format, and also based on the type of partition.

Dennis
Ctb

XP Hell

View my Photos
Peters

2002-07-14          40352

I figure that it has to be in the bios as the disk reads as a 8 GB even before formating. I can not find a flash update for the Bios at the NEC site, in fact althought the laptop is only 3 years old there is no support for the Ready series.

XP Hell

View my Photos
jimh

2002-10-10          43665

ME AND TWO OTHERS KEEP 1100 DELL DESKTOP COMPUTERS RUNNING EACH DAY. I ALSO SPEC OUT THE NEW ONES FOR PURCHASE EVERY 6 TO 9 MONTHS (DEPENDIING ON BUDGET)YOU CALL DELL AND THEY RESPOND. NEXT DAY WITH THE PART. LIMITS DOWNTIME FOR US COMPUTER SPECIALIST TO A MINIMUM. TYR CALLING COMPAQ, AFTER THE SALE THEY MOVE AND DISCONNECT THE PHONES....I WOULD GO BACK TO PAPER AND PENCIL BEFORE A COMPAQ. GATEWAY USED TO BE A GOOD COMPUTER, THEY STARTED LOW BIDING ON PARTS. HARD TO KEEP THEM RUNNING OR CONFIGURED.
MOST OF THE COMPUTER PROBLEMS I RUN INTO IS NOT THE HARDARE ITS THE HARDHEADS. THE SOFTWARE IS USUALY AT FAULT.
MOST OF THE PROBLEMS IN THIS BBS SOUNDS LIKE THE IRQ'S ARE BEING USED BY THE SAME DEVICE. 95, 98, 982ND WAS GREAT FOR THAT. XP SOLVED THE PROBLEM IT WILL SHARE. BUT SINCE USB NO NEED TO WORRY. DAISY CHAIN THE DEVICES. OH YEAH IF YOU DONT REMORMAT AND RELOAD AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR YOUR GOING TO HAVE PROBLEMS. WIDOWS IS TERRIBLE AT HOUSE CLEANING THE OLD FILES. DLL FILES HAVE A PECKING ORDER IF THEY ARE OUT OF SINK.....WELL WINDOWS GOES BELLY UP AND TAKES ON WATER.
RUN EM HOT, KEEP EM CLEAN, LEAN AND BACK EM UP. I WILL TAKE A CORRUPTED HARD DRIVE OVER A FINIKY CARB ANY DAY. ....

XP Hell

View my Photos
cutter

2002-10-10          43667

On line support from McAfee helped me cure the slow programs and jerky mouse. Turns out, when I downloaded the security center, a portion of the old program remained for some reason and all I had to do was un-check that program from the start menu and re-boot. It works fine now, occasional problems with IE but I can live with it until it finally quits. Found a great computer with outstanding support; "Cyberpower", check out their website. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login