Go Bottom Go Bottom

Beer Can Chicken

View my Photos
pbenven
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-06-14          39545

I suck at BBQ'ing chicken - it's either burnt to a crisp or undercooked. My wife hates it when I try because it puts me in a ratty mood for the rest of the evening. Well, no more. I tried something last night that has transformed me into BBQ chicken chef extraordinaire. What bothers me is that it so simple - anybody can do this.

Turn the BBQ on medium/low. Take a smallish chicken and dress the outside with whatever you like. I like to make a paste out of garlic, salt, sage, and chili powder and stuff it under the skin on the breast and thighs. Take a can of beer and drink about a 1/4 of it. Shove the can into the chest cavity of the chicken. Place the bird on the grill using the bottom of the can as a stand and the 2 legs as supports. My BBQ has 2 burners - I turn one off and put the other on medium/low. Place the chicken over the burner that is off. Close the lid and check it every 10 minutes for skin color. If it's browning too fast, put aluminum foil on it. It should take about an hour. I check mine by cutting down into the hip joint area and looking for color.

You will not have a juicier BBQ'd chicken. And by the way, no - it doesn't taste like beer.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Beer Can Chicken

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-06-14          39546

Paul,

I am also the grill guy at our house, and yes I hate tough chicken. This sounds like a great idea. So how much of the beer is left in the chicken, or did the chicken drink it all??

Dennis
CTB ....

Beer Can Chicken

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-06-14          39547

My problem is just drinking a quarter of the beer :). I will be trying this soon. sounds like a good experiment. I wonder how it would be if you used a bit of wine instead of the beer. ....

Beer Can Chicken

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-06-14          39550

Since our Canadian beer is so much more potent than that wonderful American brew do we maybe only need 1/2 or 1/3 of a can instead of 3/4 of an American can full?

Secondly, does Duct Tape work as well to keep the wing ends, etc., from burning instead of foil?

Let me know, Eh? ....

Beer Can Chicken

View my Photos
TC33

2002-06-14          39551

Should you leave the feathers on? ....

Beer Can Chicken

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-06-14          39556

Dennis,

There's a fair amount of beer left in the can when it's done. Throw it out right away - you do not want to make the mistake of drinking it - yeeeeuuuck.

DavidJ,

I hear ya. Trick is to buy a six pack and not just one beer (that would look pathetic, wouldn't it?). Keep the other 5 cold and on hand. This recipe is so simple you could get away with polishing them off and still ending up with great chicken. Beer gets foamy and bubbly when you heat it up, not sure if wine would have the same effect. Maybe if you used something like Asti Spumante or some other sparkling wine.

Murf,

Maybe you should check my profile - tabarnac.

TC,

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again? ....

Beer Can Chicken

View my Photos
TomG

2002-06-15          39569

The trouble with using Canadian beer for the chicken is that it gives you an irresistible urge to coat the chicken with peameal. Canadian beer used to be more potent and also use more malt and less corn sugar in the brewing. I don't think there's much to choose from now. Too bad!

We make a 30-minute canoe trip to S.W. Quebec several times a year but there's nobody there along our section of the river. Canoe is the only way to get there. There are a few leases of crown land in the 10's of thousand acres in the zecs and that kind of thins out the potential for living there.

Tabarnac is a kind of larch tree that turns golden in the fall. You could try putting Golden in the chicken if it’s still sold. Think I’ve got it right eh.

Last fall we bought a large BBQ. Looks like it’s made from 2’ diameter pipe with end caps welded on. It’s intended for wood rather than charcoal, and it seems like anybody using it should hold a stationary engineering license. A chicken should do well over a slow fire and under the hood, but I might give the beer a try.

Beer Can Chicken

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-06-15          39576

Tom, not sure if you're just messing with me, but in case you're not. Tamarac is a kind of larch - tabarnac is something quite different. Suffice it to say that the less classy of the local French population use that word to punctuate certain sentences.

So you've been here, eh? We are actually of the very lucky few to have been granted a 10 year renewable lease on some crown land up north. Ever heard of Resevoir Taureau? We're about 70 Km's north of there. We used to have to take a float plane but now there are logging roads.

My house, however, is really in SW Quebec - I mean you can't get much more SW than this. Cornwall Ontario is the closest Canadian city. I actually drive through the US to get there. ....

Beer Can Chicken

View my Photos
Marc

2002-06-16          39581

Just in case you want a complete reciepe, one is found on page 227 of the Weber's big book of grilling. I have found it to be the best book for how to barbeque. There is no mention of US vs Canadian beer. ....

Beer Can Chicken

View my Photos
TomG

2002-06-16          39582

Messing just a bit I'm afraid. Around here a tourist could easily conclude that us locals spend all our time talking about trees--well this is Canada after all. It's sort of funny to think about. Many tourists would have trouble understanding much of what is said whether it's in English, French or Algoniquin.

Around here for me is in Ontario about 15-minutes west of Rapides-des-Joachims (usually called Swisha), and I think of Temiscaming as SW Quebec. There's very little North of us until Val-d'Or, except of course logging roads and skidder trails.

I don't get around the Quebec bush roads much unless I'm with my brother in law who's a member of a zec. As you undoubtedly know, most of the roads are unmapped and you have to know exactly where you're going. There’s also usually a dozen ways to get to the same place, which also has great potential for going around in circles. Most of the time the best traveled road gets you nowhere, because it ends at a skidder yard and then it's a long drive back out.

I'm still learning the bush roads between the River and the Park in Ontario. I'll tackle the Quebec bush when I stop getting lost around here. Maybe later this summer we'll take a car ferry across the river from Deux-Rivieres. I don't have my good maps here and couldn't find Resevoir Taureau. Holding a lease on Crown land is a very lucky thing to happen.

Beer Can Chicken

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-06-27          39877

I was about to try "Beer Can Turkey" last weekend when my spouse restrained me. My plan was to stuff one of those oversize Foster Can's inside it, but my better half thought different! Oh well maybe next time.

Dennis
CTB ....

Beer Can Chicken

View my Photos
Murf

2002-06-27          39883

Dennis, glad to hear your feeling better, but I'm a little confused.

Did you say your wife STOPPED you from cooking last weekend? I saw this movie about aliens abducting wives and replacing them....... LOL

Best of luck.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login