Go Bottom Go Bottom

What is the Most Dangerous Equipment

View my Photos
RISKY WATERS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-17          38724

my vote goes to the old bachtold weed mowers .i used to break out in a sweat every time i looked at mine.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-17          38732

I was alway afraid of the sickle bar mower when I was little.
I guess partly because my Uncle lost his finger to one when he was small. The chickens grabbed it and ran around with it until they ate it. The family had a porcelain milk jug in the form of a rooster. They would keep him in line by placing the jug in front him at the table. Our family inherited it and it sat in front of me reminding me of the sickle bar mowers protential.
Luckally the disk mowers are normally used now and haying does not seem so lethal. ....

View my Photos
RISKY WATERS

2002-05-17          38737

i had a boss and an uncle lose a hand to a cornpicker.so im sure that rates high ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-17          38740

Dad had part interest in a corn stock shredder. It had hammers that spun on a shaft horizonatlly against blades and chopped up the stocks and through it out a stack at the top. You would go down a couple of rows of stocks and it would fling the chaff high in the air. Once in a while it would jam and you would have to enter the fray, which looked like an iron maiden and free the material. The machine, which was towed and PTO driven would also grab the odd dirt clog, rock or other hard object and loft it high into the air. You did not want to get near the machine when it was working, but the tow bar really was not long enough to allow the operator to feel comfortable. I think they used it a couple of season and then reassigned it to the bone yard. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2002-05-18          38747

I don't know if we could put a label on a machine but we could probably label the individual more easily. They would be tired, frustrated with something even the machine as it may be failing to often, they would be under pressure from time, or maybe the weather. They had been in the same area of the machine and done the same thing or nearly the same thing times before or watched someone do it. The thoughts of safety are not in there mind only the competion of the job. There are probably a hundred more but the machine is not the problem as much as humans are. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-18          38752

Take frequent breaks is the best way to make safer equipment that I've heard.

A very modest uncle of mine caught his overalls in some sort of auger. He fortunately was able to get out of the overalls before getting pulled into the machinery. His wife was having a bridge party at the time so my uncle hid in the bushes in his underwear until everybody went home--or so the family story goes. To my uncle, the bridge party probably was more dangerous than the equipment.

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-05-18          38759

Art makes a good point. I think three wheelers are dangerous but they can be ridden safely. The knucklehead who spent his money on a twelve pack instead of a helmet and is out for a hoot on the beach at midnight is a much bigger problem than the design of the machine.
The thing that scared the vinegar out of me when I was a kid were those big high speed belts that came off the side of the tractor and ran stationary equipment. They always struck me as highly unstable and most unforgiving.
Tom: Seems to me that most folks who wore coveralls back then didn’t wear much in the way of underwear. All the more reason to spend the evening in the bushes I suppose. Hope they weren’t rose bushes.

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-05-18          38768

Oh yea, another candidate is the double bitted axe. After watching my brother nearly cleave himself asunder, I promised myself never to use one of those things to split firewood. ....

View my Photos
JJT

2002-05-20          38845

My vote goes to the chain saw. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-20          38847

I thought of that too, but again it maybe the jerk on the handles.
When I was falling in the westcoast woods the IWA safety poster had your odds at 1:100 at being killed. The chain saw was just part of the hazards, barber chairs, cedar widow makers, poor roots, wind, rottin centers, hang ups, terrain, rock slides, bear etc. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2002-05-21          38861

Anything sharper than a table spoon.... when operated by an inexperienced and/or uninformed operator... safety pays... ....

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-05-21          38864

I'll have to go with an electric chain saw on a rainy day. Nothing like combining hazards :) Electricity, water and a sharp running chain. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-05-21          38874

The last toaster we bought had a warning label advising not to operate it while sitting in the bathtub. So much for time saving appliances. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2002-05-21          38876

My all-time favorite was CHILDREN'S cough & cold medicine that carried a warning "Do not operate heavy equipment or machinery after consuming this product." Now junior step down off that bulldozer and put away the chain saw till after your nap.... ....

View my Photos
Billy

2002-05-21          38877

What is the Most Dangerous Equipment? I'd have to say a well equiped woman. One of those can make you do things you normally wouldn't do!

Billy ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-21          38882

I was going to say a steel spar, but the modern version seems a little anemic. The 150' versions we used 25 years ago were built on Bradly tank chassis. Six guy wires jeri rigged to stumps any one of which could kill if the wire broke or the stump pull lose. Haul back and yarding line hooked to 200lb butt rigging and a 90lb pulley. The lines are run through pulleys connected to stumps, lines snap, stump pull etc.
The operator sits in a cab unable to see the crew hooking cables up to 1/2 a mile away. He is guided in lowering and raising the butt rigging by a series of beeps on a horn. His feet are on the breaks holding the 300lb rigging in the air over the crews head.
Cables running over the ground break, stumps holding wires pull, equipment fails, logs snag and kick back. ....

Link:   Madill 172

View my Photos
DH83

2002-05-21          38890

My vote goes for the BUZZ SAW we had on the front of a
WD45 driven off the big belt pulley,that thing looked
like something in a horror movie,sure was a quick way to
cut firewood. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2002-05-22          38918

You all have excellent ideas, but the OPERATOR is still the controlling factor for the most part. Now, take some of those earlier model ultra-light aircraft. I remember looking into them in the 80's, the death rate for flying them was 10%. Wife said NO, even with the deployable parachute option. The framework used to colapse on them leaving the "machine" operator totally out of control. Scary thought when the only thing a few hundred (or thousand) feet below is a stand of Russian Olive trees! ....

View my Photos
Mr ETHICS

2002-05-25          39027

I can see a "Top Ten " list on Letterman here guys!

My Vote, since well equiped woman was already is

drum roll please?

a pocket knife.

I have seen more mechanics, farmers, part time farmers, guys mowing the lawn, teenagers, whatever, standing at our parts counter with a rag rappeded around a finger or other extremity, stoping in for the faulty part on the way to the emergency room to get it looked at and stitched up. ....

View my Photos
Mr Ethics

2002-05-25          39029

forgot to mention I have a few battlescars myself from Mr Schrade ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-26          39057

Just yesterday I took training for our volunteer fire department. A very common cause of injury on fire lines in the bush is walking backwards--it's a strong temptation for people handling the hoses. Doesn’t even take equipment or something sharp.

When I was in basic training, we had to finish the work of automatic potato peelers with butter knives. We thought that they didn’t trust us with anything sharp and maybe not because we’d cut ourselves. Who knows the reason? Anyway cutting eyes out of potatoes with a blunt butter knife is no great joy, but at least I don’t have any butter-knife and I assume that the mess sergeants didn’t have scars as well—but they could have without some safety precautions.

View my Photos
cutter

2002-05-26          39058

Good point regarding the hoses. I have fallen handling them, expecially when the nozzle man backs off quickly. You haven't a choice but to back at that moment, expecially if things are getting HOT. As far as the potatoes go, I use a hand peeler but can't get past using that Henckels knife for slicing! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login